Captain Kate Mccue in the NYT

johhnnyt

Good reading if you haven't seen it. I think it's also an informative way that the article is written. I met quite a few people over the years that were not sure of the work/path involved to become Master of a Cargo/Cruise/Naval ship.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/25/travel/captain-kate-mccue-women-celebrity-cruises.html

Edited by johhnnyt
  • Thanks 1

As always, I congratulate Captain McCue on her success at Celebrity.  And while the NYT article correctly identifies her as the first US woman to Captain a cruise ship, it really annoys me that many times she is noted as the "first US female Captain", which is totally incorrect, and she herself does not acknowledge the ground breaking done by her predecessors.  The first US female Captain of an ocean-going vessel was Lynn Korvatch, who assumed command of a Matson freighter in 1988, thirty years ago, after 12 years at sea.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

As always, I congratulate Captain McCue on her success at Celebrity.  And while the NYT article correctly identifies her as the first US woman to Captain a cruise ship, it really annoys me that many times she is noted as the "first US female Captain", which is totally incorrect, and she herself does not acknowledge the ground breaking done by her predecessors.  The first US female Captain of an ocean-going vessel was Lynn Korvatch, who assumed command of a Matson freighter in 1988, thirty years ago, after 12 years at sea.

Good point. I know having served in submarines, they only recently (~10 years ago) began integrating women into service on submarines. A friend who was Commanding Officer of one of the first subs to integrate women into the ships company told me he really expected more problems then what they actually encountered. The problems they really encountered were minimal, and the integration continues to go smoothly. Doing the math on rank, that means we could see the first Submarine Captain in the next 5-10 years.

Edited by johhnnyt

7 minutes ago, johhnnyt said:

Good point. I know having served in submarines, they only recently (~12 years ago) began integrating women into service on submarines. A friend who was Commanding Officer of one of the first subs told me he really expected more problems then what they actually encountered, as the problems they really encountered were minimal, and the integration continues to go smoothly. Doing the math on rank, that means we could see the first Submarine Captain in the next 5-10 years.

Cal Maritime admitted women in 1974, and the US Merchant Marine Academy was the first federal academy to admit women in 1975, and the other federal academies followed suit a few years later (I believe Annapolis in 1976).  I was part of the team that initiated the first women into the USMMA, all those many years ago, and you are correct that the anticipated problems were greater than the reality.

Edited by chengkp75

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Cal Maritime admitted women in 1974, and the US Merchant Marine Academy was the first federal academy to admit women in 1975, and the other federal academies followed suit a few years later (I believe Annapolis in 1976).  I was part of the team that initiated the first women into the USMMA, all those many years ago, and you are correct that the anticipated problems were greater than the reality.

you just reminded me of my first marriage.  At the USMMA chapel, June 1975, his graduation day.   Lovely wedding.  Divorced 2.5 years later.  Oh well.

7 hours ago, jkgourmet said:

you just reminded me of my first marriage.  At the USMMA chapel, June 1975, his graduation day.   Lovely wedding.  Divorced 2.5 years later.  Oh well.

Married there myself, October 1976, 42 years still going strong.