All Inclusive Recommendation with Pool and 3 year old

SouthernHiker

Heading out on a cruise in early June that includes Cozumel, Costa Maya and Roatan. 

Have Roatan planned.   Read the dolphin encounter in Costa Maya wasn't that great, and saw high recommendations for one in Cozumel. 

But I'm having a bit of trouble making a solid plan for Costa Maya. I'm thinking an all inclusive would provide a nice beach break day, but I've also read the sea weed can sometimes be an issue. So I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation on a nice all inclusive (and kid friendly) that includes a decent pool for the toddler (in case the sea weed is just too bad).  

I saw Maya Chan has a lot of positive recommendations, and now has a pool that appears somewhat small from the photos. Bonus points if any of them have a swim up pool bar, or at least a very nearby pool bar.  

34 minutes ago, SouthernHiker said:

Heading out on a cruise in early June that includes Cozumel, Costa Maya and Roatan. 

Have Roatan planned.   Read the dolphin encounter in Costa Maya wasn't that great, and saw high recommendations for one in Cozumel. 

But I'm having a bit of trouble making a solid plan for Costa Maya. I'm thinking an all inclusive would provide a nice beach break day, but I've also read the sea weed can sometimes be an issue. So I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation on a nice all inclusive (and kid friendly) that includes a decent pool for the toddler (in case the sea weed is just too bad).  

I saw Maya Chan has a lot of positive recommendations, and now has a pool that appears somewhat small from the photos. Bonus points if any of them have a swim up pool bar, or at least a very nearby pool bar.  

Costa Maya does not have any AI  with large pool.

The one at Maya Chan is small and adult only, (over 12) according to the photos. There are a couple of small dipping pools on malecon but not sure if kids are allowed.

There is the pool at the port (which I think has a swim up bar) or the water park near the port. 

Hopefully the seaweed problem will not be as bad as last year but you will know as soon as you enter the port. Costa Maya does not have kid-friendly AI like Cozumel. Blue Kay will have more room for kids to play, if seaweed is not a problem, but no pool. PAYG or I think they may have an AI price.

Edited by c-leg5

4 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Costa Maya does not have any AI  with large pool.

The one at Maya Chan is small and adult only, (over 12) according to the photos. There are a couple of small dipping pools on malecon but not sure if kids are allowed.

There is the pool at the port (which I think has a swim up bar) or the water park near the port. 

Hopefully the seaweed problem will not be as bad as last year but you will know as soon as you enter the port. Costa Maya does not have kid-friendly AI like Cozumel. Blue Kay will have more room for kids to play, if seaweed is not a problem, but no pool. PAYG or I think they may have an AI price.

Thanks, I was afraid of that since I couldn't find one.   Any PAYG with a large pool that is other than the port?  

Was hoping there was something similar to Mr. Sanchos in Cozumel that I did several years ago. 

Just now, SouthernHiker said:

Thanks, I was afraid of that since I couldn't find one.   Any PAYG with a large pool that is other than the port?  

Was hoping there was something similar to Mr. Sanchos in Cozumel that I did several years ago. 

No, no large pools other than port or water park.

4 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

No, no large pools other than port or water park.

Well Dang.  I'm not completely opposed to hanging around the port, just haven't read great things. 

I saw where you said the seaweed problem is immediately noticeable when you get off the ship.  Do the AI's typically fill up prior to the morning of?  I would just hate to wait, see a clean day and then Maya Chan or others be booked up. 

24 minutes ago, SouthernHiker said:

Well Dang.  I'm not completely opposed to hanging around the port, just haven't read great things. 

I saw where you said the seaweed problem is immediately noticeable when you get off the ship.  Do the AI's typically fill up prior to the morning of?  I would just hate to wait, see a clean day and then Maya Chan or others be booked up. 

Maya Chan you would have to reserve in advance. It is often sold out as it is small and has restricted numbers. However they will show you photos, on the day, and offer you a full refund if you decide not to go when you meet the representative outside the port. However be aware there will be seagrass even if there is no seaweed.

i have never been, but some people have reported better beach and water at Almaplena, but again they will have seaweed if it is a problem and no pool.

ALL the beaches are along the same coastline, some do a better job than others of clearing up. We went to Costa Maya three times last year, January, end of February and December. We only  had seaweed at Maya Chan, which was end of February and that was the beginning of what turned out to be a very bad year and yet beaches were completely clear again when we were there in December. We have just (February) been back to the same beach we were at in December and seaweed was quite bad again. You won’t know until much closer the time.

Costa Maya beach clubs are much different from Cozumel.

Edited by c-leg5

4 hours ago, SouthernHiker said:

If you book with Maya Chan and seaweed is a problem they will tell you and show you pictures when you come to check in so that you can decide if you still want to go.  If you don't, they will give you a full refund.  When we went last week we decided to go and were given a 10% discount because of the seaweed.  There was a little one there the day we went and she seemed to be having a good time on the beach with the sand toys without getting in the water.  Just a heads up - it is a bit of a walk to the meeting place.  I hope this helps!