Meravigilia from Marseille

Freeman3030

Hello,

I am about to book a cruise from Marseille on the MSC Meravigilla for a week.

We've found flights for a good price, but just wondering how easy it is to get from Marseille airport to the cruise terminal. I prefer using the train rather than getting a bus as we can use the ticket machines to purchase tickets and take our time as my french isn't that good. But I can't find if its a bus or train from the airport to cruise terminal. Does anyone know?

Also, with regards to what to pack. Having never sailed with MSC, what are their attire requirements for dinner? When we've been with P&O in the past they have a couple of black tie nights which adds weight to your luggage for extra shoes, tux etc.

Many thanks,

J

Edited by Freeman3030
  • Like 1

The dress code on MSC is much less formal than P&O.  There is no black tie, no dinner suits or long evening dresses required.  People generally do dress up a little more than normal on Gala nights, but not everyone.  A shirt and tie, and maybe a jacket is fine.  Basically, you can wear whatever you like, there is a wide range of attire, with everyone wearing what they feel comfortable with.

As you can see from the map above, there is no direct transport from Marseille airport to the cruise port.  For public transport you would have to take the train or bus to Marseille town and then a taxi from there.  I would not recommend taking a public bus from Marseille to the cruise port, as you would have to walk 1-2 kms with suitcases from the bus stop to the ship.  A taxi might be a good idea.  You can check the prices on taxi price calculator web sites or maybe ask on the France Ports board.  Alternatively, ask MSC about their direct transfer from the airport.  MSC transfer prices are often reasonable.

• Like 1

Having done that trip, from/to the airport by taxi, we are convinced there is no other way that is straightforward! The cost for taxi was 40 euros each way, and took more than 30 but less than 45 minutes.

Edited by hamrag

There are trains as well as a bus from Marseille airport into the city. We have never taken the bus but have taken the train a few times; I would suspect that the bus departures are more frequent. Once at the St.Charles Station it should not be too difficult to find a taxi to travel the rest of the way to the cruise port.

Tickets for the bus or train can be purchased at the bus terminal located in a separate building to your left as you leave the airport. If you choose the train there is a shuttle to the station which is about 5 minutes from the airport.

• Thanks 1

On 3/5/2019 at 6:01 AM, Freeman3030 said:

Hello,

I am about to book a cruise from Marseille on the MSC Meravigilla for a week.

We've found flights for a good price, but just wondering how easy it is to get from Marseille airport to the cruise terminal. I prefer using the train rather than getting a bus as we can use the ticket machines to purchase tickets and take our time as my french isn't that good. But I can't find if its a bus or train from the airport to cruise terminal. Does anyone know?

Also, with regards to what to pack. Having never sailed with MSC, what are their attire requirements for dinner? When we've been with P&O in the past they have a couple of black tie nights which adds weight to your luggage for extra shoes, tux etc.

Many thanks,

J

We were on Meraviglia last April, and started off in Marseille.  We had Sun Transfers pick us up in a mini-van due to six suitcases, and they were lovely.  Professional, affordable, and reliable.  Other times we used Uber with no problems either.

Check out their link:  https://www.suntransfers.com/marseille-airport?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2rHb5Nft4AIVQkCGCh2luQ7NEAAYASAAEgJzjvD_BwE

TRIPADVISOR reviews:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187497-d8121873-Reviews-Suntransfers-Barcelona_Catalonia.html