Viking Ocean to South America

BitburgBoy

3 hours ago, geffric said:

I was on another ship, but I have  been on Viking Sea and Orion and had early private tours and it worked just fine.. meet on 1st floor and as soon as the ship has been given the all clear, one can get off. I was very nervous about this and spoke to the cruise director and this is what I was told.. worked well for me..

Also, if you are seeing penquins in Stanley wear closed toed shoes.. lots of stuff on the ground.. I wore my hiking boots.. and rain pants, gloves and hat..

Appreciate the info.  Good to know about clothes as well.

• 2 months later...

I'm new here and I'm following the right process bumping this one up again. DH and I are booked for Nov 2020 for South America and the Chilean Fjords. 

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this current thread so far - I'm aware the World Cruise will be in South America in a few weeks and I see the first of the South America and the Chilean Fjords cruises begin in Dec 2019. We will greatly appreciate any suggestions re excursions etc from those on board the WC whilst you are in South America, and from those who are on any of the 2019 / early 2020 South America and the Chilean Fjords cruises. I'm referring most particularly to the excursions (both Viking arranged and private), but welcome all other topics as well. 

I'm aware Viking may change / add excursions for next year compared to this year but I imagine many will be the same or very similar.

Happy cruising to all - and I look forward to your comments, advice and suggestions. 

Cleopatra99 you have the benefit of we who are going before.  Its a very new itinerary for Viking and they solicit our comments and reviews of their excursions so the glitches should be solved for you.  We are doing many private and some Viking includeds and will share our experiences.

5 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Cleopatra99 you have the benefit of we who are going before.  Its a very new itinerary for Viking and they solicit our comments and reviews of their excursions so the glitches should be solved for you.  We are doing many private and some Viking includeds and will share our experiences.

Thank you .. I look forward to your comments

• 4 months later...

Hello all future SA & Chilean Fjords cruisers.  We were on the January 24, 2020 Santiago to Buenas Aires cruise and it was fabulous.  We have been sorting and editing our almost 2000 photos and i have started a blog with our stories .  Its the first time for me so its a learning experience.  I only have 2 days published at this point - our do it ourselves pre-cruise - but hope to publish one day per week.  It may take me 20 more weeks but info will be up well before the 20-21 cruises.  If anyone is interested, check out Tomko2Travel.blogspot.com

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Hello all future SA & Chilean Fjords cruisers.  We were on the January 24, 2020 Santiago to Buenas Aires cruise and it was fabulous.  We have been sorting and editing our almost 2000 photos and i have started a blog with our stories .  Its the first time for me so its a learning experience.  I only have 2 days published at this point - our do it ourselves pre-cruise - but hope to publish one day per week.  It may take me 20 more weeks but info will be up well before the 20-21 cruises.  If anyone is interested, check out Tomko2Travel.blogspot.com

Thank you so much, Tayana, for starting your blog.  Just read it and loved the pictures of the ILoveChile Tours in the Andes.  I think we have those same pictures!  It really brought back such great memories to cherish (in these days of doom and gloom).  I look forward to reading more as it comes out.  It was indeed such an amazing itinerary and trip.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Thank you so much, Tayana, for starting your blog.  Just read it and loved the pictures of the ILoveChile Tours in the Andes.  I think we have those same pictures!  It really brought back such great memories to cherish (in these days of doom and gloom).  I look forward to reading more as it comes out.  It was indeed such an amazing itinerary and trip.

Oh wow, my first fan! Thank you.  Doing this is so much fun.  Our trip began in October 2018 with the Viking booking, continued for 15 months with the research, took 3 weeks in actuality and still continues with the writing and photo posting.   

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Oh wow, my first fan! Thank you.  Doing this is so much fun.  Our trip began in October 2018 with the Viking booking, continued for 15 months with the research, took 3 weeks in actuality and still continues with the writing and photo posting.   

I have also started reading .. so you have at least 2 fans. Thank you for taking the time to write the blog.

8 minutes ago, Cleopatra99 said:

I have also started reading .. so you have at least 2 fans. Thank you for taking the time to write the blog.

Thank you for reading.  I will post here whenever I add another day.  Blogspot has a way where people can sign up for notifications of new postings but I haven't figured that out yet.  

• Like 1

Thank you!  We have a Viking Credit for a Transatlantic Cruise that we just cancelled :(.  We well may apply it toward the SA itinerary. CCWineLover we hope that our "Into the Midnight Sun" can happen without a problem!

1 hour ago, deec said:

Thank you!  We have a Viking Credit for a Transatlantic Cruise that we just cancelled :(.  We well may apply it toward the SA itinerary. CCWineLover we hope that our "Into the Midnight Sun" can happen without a problem!

Hi Dee -

Yes hoping things will be in less panic mode by June.  We plan to hold off until then since we have our own air that we'd take a huge hit on by cancelling.   Wishing you luck on applying to an existing booking.  We just explicitly asked our Travel Agent who told us Viking told them the credit could only be used on a brand new booking and not to a cruise already booked but with just a small deposit on it.  But on CruiseCritic we've heard otherwise.  Our agent said they had no knowledge of that.

We'll just see what happens I presume.

It was indeed a bit scary when the State Department says US Citizens should not go on a cruise ship.   We are in good shape, but I must admit, getting stuck somewhere for a long time only because someone happened to be on our ship who tested positive (crew or passenger), or ports decided to close to us, would be quite disappointing.   The Ships of the Damned with no port to call home!  (like the Viking Sun is these days)

10 hours ago, deec said:

Loved the Into the Midnight Sun cruise.  It was our first cruise.