Staffing Levels Diminishing?

MizDemeanor

3 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

Don't be depressed. Be excited. Some people love to complain. Nothing is the same as 20 years ago, the world is changing. Take a look at the Cruise Critic's Choice Awards. Celebrity ships did very well. You'll have a wonderful time.

I believe I am the author of the post the OP in this thread was referring to.

Your comment, IMO, regarding people and complaining is painted with a way too huge a brush.  Bringing real (or perceived) complaints to the fore can be providing valid information vs "complaining". Of course, NOTHING is the same as it was 20 years ago.  However there are items that are improved upon and items that have declined.  

I was not "complaining" in my post, but I was trying to point out what I saw as shortcomings in the product Celebrity is presenting.  And, as I said, nothing I wrote about either singularly or combined RUINED MY CRUISE.

Now as to your  Cruise Critic's Choice Awards comment, I believe I have been on these boards a lot longer than you.  These awards are certainly nice to read, but they are quite simply, IMO, nothing more than popularity contests.

4 minutes ago, DocJohnB said:

Of course, NOTHING is the same as it was 20 years ago.  

After reading your Thread, it was nostalgic for me to think back to our impressions at those earlier times about staff and up to our last X Cruise. The assistant waiters used to bring a tray of accoutrement to presonnaly dress your salads with and explain them with presentation gestures that were impressive and 5 star. The dessert options with complete descriptions of each, presented on large round trays and held at a precarious and expert tilt toward the guests with multiple stops at the round tables so everyone could see hear and choose...a dining finale that excited the senses. The exquisite service and attention...The white gloves. 

Maybe its not a head count of staff that is missed....

23 minutes ago, DocJohnB said:

These awards are certainly nice to read, but they are quite simply, IMO, nothing more than popularity contests.

It’s more than a popularity contest. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if winning the award will bring Equinox millions in additional bookings. It’s not an objective or fair contest but that doesn’t matter to the cruise lines. It’s great for the winner’s business. 

17 minutes ago, DocJohnB said:

I believe I am the author of the post the OP in this thread was referring to.

Your comment, IMO, regarding people and complaining is painted with a way too huge a brush.  Bringing real (or perceived) complaints to the fore can be providing valid information vs "complaining". Of course, NOTHING is the same as it was 20 years ago.  However there are items that are improved upon and items that have declined.  

I was not "complaining" in my post, but I was trying to point out what I saw as shortcomings in the product Celebrity is presenting.  And, as I said, nothing I wrote about either singularly or combined RUINED MY CRUISE.

Now as to your  Cruise Critic's Choice Awards comment, I believe I have been on these boards a lot longer than you.  These awards are certainly nice to read, but they are quite simply, IMO, nothing more than popularity contests.

My post was in no way aimed at you, nor was I painting with a broad brush. I'm sorry you took it that way. It was referring to many posts on many threads where the posters left an impression that nothing was good on X anymore discouraging cruisers new to the X experience. You did say in your post it didn't ruin your cruise and even if it had you and everyone else is entitled to their opinion. DH and I have sailed X over many years (and although I myself didn't post on this forum until the date attached to my avatar picture)read and monitored Cruise Critic for years before.  We of course have noticed changes over those years, but over all, we're still very satisfied with the X experience.  If we weren't, we'd move on to other vacation options. There are many.  The fact that X (or any other ships) win these awards, whether by an established criteria standard, or a popularity contest does speak to the perceived quality of the product being offered. As far as my comment about some people loving to complain, I stand by that and don't aim it at any person in particular.

2 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

It’s more than a popularity contest. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if winning the award will bring Equinox millions in additional bookings. It’s not an objective or fair contest but that doesn’t matter to the cruise lines. It’s great for the winner’s business. 

Its hype.

2 minutes ago, MizDemeanor said:

Its hype.

Cruise critic is owned by TripAdvisor. 

You probably don’t know how much hotels care about their rankings and awards because consumers look at this “hype” and it’s a factor in many buy decisions. 

Edited by mfs2k

5 minutes ago, MizDemeanor said:

Maybe its not a head count of staff that is missed....

Mizdemeanor,

I honestly believe it is the head count (short staffing) that is missed.  All that you mention was certainly very nice and much appreciated, and, unfortunately, it is no longer available, but I came up in the Navy where we had none of this.  However, when we suffered through cutbacks back then, I certainly felt that.  Just as I felt (saw) the shortage of staff on my cruise.

1 minute ago, mfs2k said:

Cruise critic is owned by TripAdvisor. 

You probably don’t know how much hotels care about their rankings and awards because consumers look at this “hype” and it’s a factor in many buy decisions. 

I don't really know about hotel industry other than what I like and what I don't like and I don't buy hype. I get that some people do becasue tis relevant to them to be in an acclaimed location, but I'm pretty competent and can cull though hype and make a comfortable decision about where I decide to stay or vacation. 

Having been around for a while, Cruise Critic was under the umbrella of Independent Traveler that was aquired by Trip Advisor. I cruised before any of that aquistion stuff happened and when the internet was an aol dial up. Which Cruise Critc was on.

I'm Old. 

9 minutes ago, DocJohnB said:

Mizdemeanor,

I honestly believe it is the head count (short staffing) that is missed.  All that you mention was certainly very nice and much appreciated, and, unfortunately, it is no longer available, but I came up in the Navy where we had none of this.  However, when we suffered through cutbacks back then, I certainly felt that.  Just as I felt (saw) the shortage of staff on my cruise.

Welp, I have not sailed on X for quite a few years. We left for new cruiseline adventures yet I am looking forward to getting back on the sea for islands we enjoy and that we have not been to in a while. 

I follow what you are saying about your experience and what you noticed. I'll see what happens on our cruise in a few weeks. I know I am going to enjoy the destinations.