Ruby princess Cali coastal questions

missaliss

My husband and I and our 2 teen kids are cruising March 16th.  It’s been about 4 years since cruising with Princess and I have a few questions. 

1. My husband lives in shorts. Hoping he can get away with nice dress/chino-like  shorts on causal nights with a nice button\collared shirt.  Princess site says no shorts in dining room. 😬

it also says no jeans with holes (those are my nicest jeans). We were on Carnival  

last year and we were good with both there.  

2.  Carnival had a texting/activity  app (although it didn’t work that well). Does princess have anything like that?  I thought I read something somewhere that they did at no additional cost

3.  Last cruise (on Carnival) we had a great time playing cornhole together with the kids 

• Haha 1

Stick to Carnival. No shorts in the dining room. They will be fine in the buffet. No jeans with holse in the dining room. They will be fine in the buffet. Normally, unless one is up on Lido deck with the pools, buffet, burgers, etc. Long pants and a nice shirt are worn onboard after 5 or 6 PM. (It used to be after 6 but now dinner has been moved up.) Princess refers to this as "smart casual". From the Princess FAQ:

What Should I Wear?

Casual sportswear, including shorts, lightweight pants and jogging suits, is the order of the day both at sea and ashore in hotter climates. We recommend you bring a sweater, a jacket or an all-weather coat for cool evenings, and for shore excursions, depending on your destination. You'll also want comfortable shoes for strolling on deck.

For evening dining, keep with what you would wear to a nice restaurant at home: skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies, pants and open-neck shirts for men. Cruises five days or longer include at least one formal dining night: evening gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies and tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits for men.

• Thanks 1

There are people that will "look down their nose" at shorts in the dining room aside from lunch or breakfast.....,  but we saw that and worse a few weeks ago on the Ruby.......might as well wear what you're comfortable in......apparently they don't turn away.

On 3/8/2019 at 10:29 AM, Qcruise said:

There are people that will "look down their nose" at shorts in the dining room aside from lunch or breakfast.....,  but we saw that and worse a few weeks ago on the Ruby.......might as well wear what you're comfortable in......apparently they don't turn away.

Whether they turn away or not is not the issue with dress.  It is best to go with the suggested dress, and is respectful of others who do.

I will wear shorts to the main dining room for breakfast or lunch, weather permitting.  And "dress casual" is comfortable with Docker's type of pants and either polo or short sleeve shirt - Hawaiian is my favorite.   Quite frankly, because of the amount of people in the MDR for dinner, they turn the air conditioning to Very Cool, and wearing shorts would be uncomfortably cold.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2019 at 1:18 AM, Times Prince said:

... and it is "California", not Cali.   Cali is insulting to locals.

Thanks to all for their input on Dining room attire,WiFi and cornhole,  I honestly was just abbreviating California in my original post I meant no disrespect.  This just reaffirms why I don’t post anything on social media, people seemed to get offended very easily these days.  I’m from Arizona and not fond of the term “Zonie”

but I won’t be offended. Happy cruising all enjoy life

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, missaliss said:

Thanks to all for their input on Dining room attire,WiFi and cornhole,  I honestly was just abbreviating California in my original post I meant no disrespect.  This just reaffirms why I don’t post anything on social media, people seemed to get offended very easily these days.  I’m from Arizona and not fond of the term “Zonie”

but I won’t be offended. Happy cruising all enjoy life

Thank you for your response.  I hope your upcoming cruise is a great one!

26 minutes ago, missaliss said:

Thank you Shyann!! 

Hi MIssaliss.... I hope you, your husband and your two teens enjoy the cruise even if you decide not to go on Princess.   I've done the California Coastal twice and really enjoyed it.  It does sound like the dress code on Princess is more than you're used to on Carnival though.  Such a great experience for your teens!   Best wishes!!