Formal Night Flub!

dashulak

Our family, especially our ten year old son, loves dressing up on Formal Night. We bought my son a tux and he and his dad have two matching vests/tie sets that they wear on formal nights.

On our 3/28/04 Carnival Destiny cruise, I opened our garment bag that contained our formalwear and was devastated to discover that everyone's clothes were there except my son's! icon_eek.gif I was CERTAIN I had put them in the garment bag, but alas, my parent's found them still hanging on the back of the bedroom door! icon_frown.gif

My son was very disappointed and upset! We decided we'd rent a tux for him aboard ship, but discovered they don't stock kids' sizes!

At that moment, under the circumstances, we decided that if we all couldn't dress up as a family on formal night, none of us would. We ate in the dining room in casual attire on those formal nights -- no shorts or t-shirts, but we were limited to Dockers, golf shirts and capri pants!

Believe me, I'll never be SO judgemental of those who underdress on formal nights again! icon_smile.gif

Debra

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;3;28;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until our Destiny 3/28/04 cruise

Carnival Legend 4/03

Grand Princess 4/02

Nordic Empress 7/99

Nordic Empress 7/95

So you pretty much could have ruined your sons cruise then huh?

Way to go mom

Nice save on the dressing down for dinner

Good thinking, great attitude

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/04

Star Princess 10/04

Carnival Spirit 12/04

I think it should be understood that formal night is OPTIONAL. You can dress to the nines or wear anything that is also "dining room appropriate" for the rest of the nights on the formal nights.

I agree, with Chris... great save!!!

I left my garment bag at home once and spent the whole pre-cruise day in Orlando at the mall trying to find 'dining room appropriate' clothes to wear. It sucked.

Lido Deck Linda

dudes.gif

062802jumpie_prv.gif033102food_1_prv.gif062802drink_prv.gif082502cheers_prv.gif

Fantasy 2/6/2000

Victory 3/23/2003

Destiny 4/25/2004

Good attitude. You should read the current topic over on the Princess board right now about casual/formal wear. There are some really uptight and downright rude individuals that cruise on Princess. I am really surprised that the thread has not been yanked. Here is the thread for anyone interested.

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=887097554&m=420104301

Gordon

http://community.webshots.com/user/cruisingator

NCL Starward-86, Starship Atlantic-91, Caribe-92, Seabreeze-93, Fantasy-93, Norway-94, Celebration-94, Sensation-95, Imagination-96, Destiny-97, Celebration-98, Triumph-99, Victory-00, Majesty of the Seas-01, Fascination-01, Carnival Pride-02, Majesty of the Seas-02, Carnival Legend-02, Fantasy 7-03, Glory 9-03, Fantasy 11-03, Triumph 3/04.

Navigator of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;12;04;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

LOL!

Compared to some of the threads I've read on this board...the one about formal night on the Princess board is VERY mild....obviously you didn't see the smoking/non-smoking thread that was here a few weeks back!!! icon_eek.gif YIKES!

I think Formal night is a hot topic on most boards and a good one to avoid....

Subjects to avoid:

Politics

Religion

Dress Codes....anything else????

I believe in Miracles

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;6;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

MIRACLE JUNE 19, 2004

Calm Seas, Good Friends

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cruisingator2:

Good attitude. You should read the current topic over on the Princess board right now about casual/formal wear. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

wow... you mean Princess serves Lobster via room service?? icon_eek.gif

See my past cruise pics here:

mohavemommy's Cruise Pics

__ /7__/7__/7____

\:::::::::::::::::::/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"THE WORLD'S BEST ISLANDS ARE ONES THAT FLOAT AND MOVE. THEY'RE CALLED CRUISE SHIPS."

Carnival Pride Cruise

18 April 04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;4;18;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

I took a look, and hate to admit it, but I agree with the sentiment. I wear suits daily and would love nothing more to have shorts surgically attached for the duration of the cruise but I know that there are a LOT of people who save their pennies all year just to scrape up enough to have a special family vacation, which includes formal night, photos and the whole "look at us" having such a good time together mood...so I do the same, enjoy the meal and quickly change. 4 hours out of 7 days seems inconsequential.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cruisingator2:

Good attitude. You should read the current topic over on the Princess board right now about casual/formal wear. There are some really uptight and downright rude individuals that cruise on Princess. I am really surprised that the thread has not been yanked. Here is the thread for anyone interested.

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=887097554&m=420104301

Gordon

http://community.webshots.com/user/cruisingator

NCL Starward-86, Starship Atlantic-91, Caribe-92, Seabreeze-93, Fantasy-93, Norway-94, Celebration-94, Sensation-95, Imagination-96, Destiny-97, Celebration-98, Triumph-99, Victory-00, Majesty of the Seas-01, Fascination-01, Carnival Pride-02, Majesty of the Seas-02, Carnival Legend-02, Fantasy 7-03, Glory 9-03, Fantasy 11-03, Triumph 3/04.

Navigator of the Seas

http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;12;04;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You certainly demonstrated a great attitude and support of your son. I do hope it didn't have a measurable effect on your (or your son's) enjoyment of the cruise.

Like mail4vince, I wear a suit five days a week would prefer an entirely casual cruise. But I do understand that some folks enjoy dressing up and we prefer dining room meals, so we comply.

I can sympathize with your faux pas! We drove to Gatlinburg TN for a long weekend where we had reservations for two shows. I carefully hung my dinner outfits in a garment bag in the closet. As we crossed the FL / GA border, I realized that the bag was STILL in my closet. I had just a couple hours the first afternoon to shop for a presentable outfit...which I wore to both shows. Nobody would have noticed anyway, since attire generally was very casual.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jasonsterling:

Subjects to avoid:

Politics

Religion

Dress Codes

and

"Unsupervised" children- another real hot one<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't forget "Negative Report on the board of the very cruiseline you're bad-mouthing". Many of the posters on the boards don't realize that the title of this website is CRUISECRITIC. Not, HOW PERFECT A CRUISE WITH (FILL IN CRUISELINE NAME) IS. icon_confused.gif

The cheerleaders come out in droves, especially the 'regulars" (this is most often true on the HAL boards). Some poor yokel, having just had his first cruise, anxious to tell others of the failings he observed on some "dam" cruise, will inevitably irk the "select" few who's self-appointed existence is to tear this poster to shreds. From parsing words and phrases, to outright accusing him/her of being a plant from another board or cruiseline, they dissect his every complaint, impune his integrity and just , in general, run his sorry a** off. icon_eek.gif

Unfortunately, for others who are considering a HAL cruise, it also runs them off too as many, including myself, consider these "cheerleaders" a typical HAL pax.

I've already said to much. icon_rolleyes.gif

Gary icon_cool.gif

Dolphins.gif

Crusingator2....

....seems like the censors have already removed the link you posted to the Princess Boards. It's a shame; we wanted to read it.

Ken & Nancy dog1.gif

12/2004 - Golden Princess

10/2004 - Fantasy Fest, Key West

03/2004 - Golden Princess

01/2004 - Carnival Legend

11/2003 - Carnival Glory

03/2003 - Carnival Spirit

02/2003 - Carnival Triumph

12/2002 - Carnival Legend

04/2002 - Carnival Victory

01/2002 - Carnival Sensation

12/2000 - Carnival Tropicale

puppy.gifcountdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2004;12;12;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  Until Sailing The Golden Princess

Hi Deb,

Not sure if you remember me from the Legend last April. We are leaving out of Galveston next week on the Elation. We have a meet and Mingle scheduled since the one on the Legend was so much fun. Hope we meet as many nice people as last year. Maybe we will see each other on another cruise. Glad to hear you had a great cruise even with the Tux blunder.

Elation 4/04

Celebration 5/03

Legend 4/03

Victory 4/02

Sensation 7/96

Holiday 7/94

Celebration 6/93

blyle:

Of course I remember you! How are things in Texas? Hope you are having a great time on Elation!

We enjoyed our 3rd Spring Break cruise this year! We are building a new house this year, so it looks like we may have to skip a year or two of Spring Break cruises or at least wait to see what pops up on the 90-day ticker.

Debra

Carnival Destiny 3/04

Carnival Legend 4/03

Grand Princess 4/02

Nordic Empress 7/99

Nordic Empress 7/95

Archived