Flying in the morning of...

flashy09

We have flown in the same day as the cruise but, my stress level and tolerance just isn't there any more.  I insist now we fly in the day before.  Flashy09, I guess it depends on where you're flying from.  If it's a straight flight - like a 2 hour flight you might be okay.  If you have to change planes all bets are off.  Take that into consideration - and don't forget trip insurance.  Princess EZAir will get you there no matter what.  We use EZAir and never had a problem yet.

Edited by elliair
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, elliair said:

We have flown in the same day as the cruise but, my stress level and tolerance just isn't there any more.  I insist now we fly in the day before.  Flashy09, I guess it depends on where you're flying from.  If it's a straight flight - like a 2 hour flight you might be okay.  If you have to change planes all bets are off.  Take that into consideration - and don't forget trip insurance.  Princess EZAir will get you there no matter what.  We use EZAir and never had a problem yet.

Princess EZAir will usually get you there, but it's not "no matter what". If you are on a Hawaii round trip from Los Angeles or San Francisco or a northbound Alaska from Vancouver to Whittier, you cannot join the cruise at the next port without violating the Passenger Vessel Services Act. If you are on a trans-Atlantic leaving from Fort Lauderdale, you might miss nearly half the cruise before the next port.

15 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

Princess EZAir will usually get you there, but it's not "no matter what". If you are on a Hawaii round trip from Los Angeles or San Francisco or a northbound Alaska from Vancouver to Whittier, you cannot join the cruise at the next port without violating the Passenger Vessel Services Act. If you are on a trans-Atlantic leaving from Fort Lauderdale, you might miss nearly half the cruise before the next port.

That's where trip insurance comes in.  You won't lose all your money.

On 3/8/2019 at 4:14 PM, LAS!!1414 said:

Experience has taught me to always fly the day before cruise departure.  

Same with us!  We missed a cruise a few years ago because of two unrelated flight delays.  It was a terrible feeling and now we always fly a day early.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2019 at 2:46 PM, john_galt said:

I had a close call several cruises ago. We had an afternoon flight into Miami and there was a single crack of thunder/lightning as we got off the plane. We were told the union cargo handlers have a clause in their contract that says they don't have to work outside for an hour after a lightning strike. The clouds parted and the skies were sunny but nothing happened for an hour. Made the last bus but it put the fear in me. I always fly in the day before now. 

Well, I know nothing of union rules, but I do know a handful of Florida ramp workers have been killed by lightning strikes which has caused several airports to adopt strict rules around ground staff being called in if there has been lightning in the area.  Orlando, I know from experience, does have a 60 minutes from any strike rule which basically guarantees summertime afternoon flights will be delayed.

I fondly remember flying in the morning of . . . cruises, meetings, connections.  That's no longer the world I live in though.