Hiring a private driver at the port cost?

jmoak

We are on the Carnival Glory in May and docking at Mahogany Bay.  We really are only wanting to go visit sloths and then come back to the pier/boat.  There will be a party of 7 of us and I don't really want to rent a driver for the day at $25 per person ($175 total) just to take us to some sloths and back.  Does anyone know if there is a better deal that I can book prior?  Or even what my options would be at the port?

Also, we did Victor Bodden's monkey/sloth last time...I've read there are a couple of other sloth parks too?  Are they closer?  Again, we really just want to get off in the morning, have someone drive us to some sloths and then come back to pier.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks, Jason

Daniel Johnson's I believe is closer. I understand they started doing transfers. 

I would offer you a website but sadly I have not figured out how to copy/paste with my phone. 

Edited by Guest 2000

O.k. thanks. It may be that it is best to just book directly through Daniel Johnson or Victor Bodden, I was just trying to see if it would be cheaper to just hire a driver at the port for the day...Trying to get a feel for what that cost may be...THanks a bunch.

Taxi on the island are not regulated, it is all about the haggle. Were you a party of two you maybe able to play the drivers off each other if in fact you have haggle skills even better if you speak Spanish. As It is you would need at least two taxi or by some act of fate find a taxi van. 

My first response is no doubtful you will find a less expensive  taxi...this by no means is an absolute. You may find a very charitable local after telling several guys no.  Actually, probably not we're talkin about an island off the coast of a third world country some of these people are desperate and fuel is very expensive. 

I think a better course is the pre-arrange, pay the guy and understand you're helping some very kind people to feed their families. 

By the way, I don't see any reason to pay Bodden if your are going to Daniel's which is closer to Mahogany Bay. 

Edited by Guest 2000

6 hours ago, Guest 2000 said:

Taxi on the island are not regulated, it is all about the haggle. Were you a party of two you maybe able to play the drivers off each other if in fact you have haggle skills even better if you speak Spanish. As It is you would need at least two taxi or by some act of fate find a taxi van. 

My first response is no doubtful you will find a less expensive  taxi...this by no means is an absolute. You may find a very charitable local after telling several guys no.  Actually, probably not we're talkin about an island off the coast of a third world country some of these people are desperate and fuel is very expensive. 

I think a better course is the pre-arrange, pay the guy and understand you're helping some very kind people to feed their families. 

By the way, I don't see any reason to pay Bodden if your are going to Daniel's which is closer to Mahogany Bay. 

Thanks for the feedback.  Having something prebooked is definately a little more unnerving...We will most likely do that...at least then we get off and have everythign taken care of. Thanks again.  Jmoak

I am all kinda of happy to fly by the seat of my pants when I am solo but when 6 other people are relying on me...Definitely I would pre-book. Gives me peace of mind and allows me to enjoy my holiday.

Enjoy the island! 

• 2 weeks later...

We did a tour with Bodden Tours last week.  $30/person.  They took us to see their Monkeys and Sloths, then we spent 4 hours at West Bay beach.  When we got back to the ship, I decided to go relax in the spa.  Met another lady there that had decided to have a cab take her to West Bay beach.  She wasn't in any sort of tour.  She paid $60 just for a cab ride.  We had another family of 6 in the van with us, and had a great time with them.  It was up to the 8 of us to decide how long we wanted to stay at the beach.  No extra fee.  They were very accommodating.