Santiago de Compostela excursions

AndyMichelle

Hi all,

We are going to La Coruna on Aurora in June and want to book a P&O excursion, but which one???

There are 3 to Santiago de Compostela alone, plus other interesting ones more locally.

Any advice or experiences would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Andy

In October, we just caught the train. Around a mile for the cruise port to the station, and half a mile at the other end. Very pleasant train journey through pretty countryside. Nice wander and lunch around the town. Lots of guides available to DIY.

Edited by Wiltonian

27 minutes ago, Wiltonian said:

In October, we just caught the train. Around a mile for the cruise port to the station, and half a mile at the other end. Very pleasant train journey through pretty countryside. Nice wander and lunch around the town. Lots of guides available to DIY.

Thank you, sounds lovely.

We are just a bit worried as we leave port in the afternoon and the P&O excursions are 5-7 hours so didn't want to get stranded.

Perhaps we need to be a bit braver.

Andy

3 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Hi all,

We are going to La Coruna on Aurora in June and want to book a P&O excursion, but which one???

There are 3 to Santiago de Compostela alone, plus other interesting ones more locally.

Any advice or experiences would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Andy

Have you ever been before? If not I would just do what we have done the last couple of times and that is to walk the coastal path (if you are able to). You just leave the harbour area and turn right and follow the path. The scenery is just amazing and it finishes on a wonderful sandy beach. It is like walking the coastal paths of Wales or Devon / Cornwall. Just so pretty. There is lots to see on the way around like modern art and the aquarium. We just love this port and the walk we did have now done twice makes it one of our favourite places to visit. Basically, no need to book an excursion.

PS We are not very adventurous when it comes to not using the ship's excursions but you really can't get lost on this coastal path

Edited by Presto2

23 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Have you ever been before? If not I would just do what we have done the last couple of times and that is to walk the coastal path (if you are able to). You just leave the harbour area and turn right and follow the path. The scenery is just amazing and it finishes on a wonderful sandy beach. It is like walking the coastal paths of Wales or Devon / Cornwall. Just so pretty. There is lots to see on the way around like modern art and the aquarium. We just love this port and the walk we did have now done twice makes it one of our favourite places to visit. Basically, no need to book an excursion.

PS We are not very adventurous when it comes to not using the ship's excursions but you really can't get lost on this coastal path

Sounds fantastic, just our sort of thing.

We have never been before and Michelle is keen on visiting the pilgrimage site but there seems so many options.

Thank you for the guidance.

Andy

6 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Sounds fantastic, just our sort of thing.

We have never been before and Michelle is keen on visiting the pilgrimage site but there seems so many options.

Thank you for the guidance.

Andy

I get the idea of a pilgrimage sites, but sometimes nature at its best knocks spots off everything ;-)

We would go on a cruise just to go back to La Coruna - love the place and that coastal walk. It is like walking the coastal path in Cornwall at times. Don't stick to the main road and go on the coastal path -- just wonderful. Forgot to mention that there is a huge ancient tower as well to visit mid way with amazing views. Wish I had some photos on my laptop to share. Will see what I can find. Have a look on google or youtube re the walk. A cheap day ;-)

Just found this to give you a taster - much of the walk is like this. It won't be this windy when you go I guess ;-)

Edited by Presto2

20 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I get the idea of a pilgrimage sites, but sometimes nature at its best knocks spots off everything ;-)

We would go on a cruise just to go back to La Coruna - love the place and that coastal walk. It is like walking the coastal path in Cornwall at times. Don't stick to the main road and go on the coastal path -- just wonderful. Forgot to mention that there is a huge ancient tower as well to visit mid way with amazing views. Wish I had some photos on my laptop to share. Will see what I can find. Have a look on google or youtube re the walk. A cheap day ;-)

Just found this to give you a taster - much of the walk is like this. It won't be this windy when you go I guess ;-)

It looks fantastic, thank you for taking the time to help us decide.

I think we are sold, the pilgrimage can wait, it is a good excuse to go back..

Thanks sgain,

Andy

Now I am stressed ---- ha ha. Hope you like it !!! This photo gives you some idea of where you can walk. Just follow the coastal path and not the main road. You can see the coastal paths on this photo. The coastal path takes you to the parts of this photo (to the left) you can't see where it is more 'wild'. You can also see the tower. Enjoy and have a great cruise.

See the source image

50 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Now I am stressed ---- ha ha. Hope you like it !!! This photo gives you some idea of where you can walk. Just follow the coastal path and not the main road. You can see the coastal paths on this photo. The coastal path takes you to the parts of this photo (to the left) you can't see where it is more 'wild'. You can also see the tower. Enjoy and have a great cruise.

See the source image

50 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

See the source image

Don't stress, I am sure we will love it, definitely our sort of thing.

Thanks again,

Andy

4 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Thank you, can't wait.

I can now blame both of you if we don't like it.... Only kidding, I am sure we will love it.

Andy

Makes me feel better --- 2 to blame now !

The good thing is that it is all 'free'

Hope the weather is kind to you both :-)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Makes me feel better --- 2 to blame now !

The good thing is that it is all 'free'

Hope the weather is kind to you both :-)

We are going in June, so the weather should be good but we don't worry if it isn't, just dress appropriately and off we go...

Thanks again for the fantastic advice, you have saved me a few quid for some more cocktails...

Andy

• Haha 1