Top 10 Things we Unexpectedly Learned on our First Cruise.

suznf

I learned that the coffee cups are too small!

Also remember to bring a watch with numbers on it if you plan on staying in an inside cabin.(which I'll never do again) I woke up at what I thought was 7:05, took a shower, got dressed, asked my husband if he wanted coffee, went up on deck noticed people dressed in tuxes and gowns and thought they stayed up all night. But I also noticed it wasn't getting light out yet, still thinking there maybe was a time difference, but decided to check the watch anyway, well turns out my watch was upside down and when I woke up it was 1:35 A.M.!!!!! :eek:

I learned on my first and only cruise that there is a reason why prices are cheaper during hurricane season! :eek: Stupid Hurricane Ivan...... grumble, grumble, grumble...... Didn't get to see Jamaica, Grand Cayman...... grumble, grumble....... ;)

Here's what I've learned so far:

1. The ship does move...however 35 foot swells are NOT THE NORM...(We hit a crazy Nor'easter storm on our 1st cruise)

2. It is possible to eat more in one day on the ship than in an entire week at home.

3. I should prepare to spend way more money than I prepare for.

4. I need a seperate suitcase for shoes!!

5. Most of the "gadgets"...such as duct tape, bungee cords, sewing kit, etc. that I brought based on all the lists people make, never get used.

6. Always wear my form-fitting gown on the FIRST formal night, because chances are I won't be able to zip it up by the second.

7. We used to insist on a table for two, but now we love to sit at a big table, and really enjoy meeting lots of new people!

8. Don't try to do TOO much. It is a vacation after all. Relax and enjoy!!

Happy cruising!!:D

I learned that the coffee cups are too small!

Also remember to bring a watch with numbers on it if you plan on staying in an inside cabin.(which I'll never do again) I woke up at what I thought was 7:05, took a shower, got dressed, asked my husband if he wanted coffee, went up on deck noticed people dressed in tuxes and gowns and thought they stayed up all night. But I also noticed it wasn't getting light out yet, still thinking there maybe was a time difference, but decided to check the watch anyway, well turns out my watch was upside down and when I woke up it was 1:35 A.M.!!!!! :eek:

My hubby and I are sitting here laughing our heads off. That is SO something I would do. Don't feel bad. Oh......I can't stop laughing.

DH and I learned a few things on our 2 cruises as well.....

1. A room with a balcony is WORTH EVERY PENNY!

2. If you plan to use a portable DVD player or plug your camcorder into the TV, an extension cord is mandatory. (The outlet is always as far from the TV as possible in those cabins!)

3. The most annoying person on the ship will be in the room next to you, and the one who goes to bed the latest / gets up earliest will be above you.

4. You need to get in line for the Choco-haulics Buffet about 3 days ahead of time. (But it's definitely worth the wait!)

5. My tiny bathroom at home is really a palace!

Happy cruising - on our way to Alaska in May! Can't wait!

Well, since I had never been on a cruise before and had never really considered that I might go on one someday in the future, I never researched cruises while growing up. On my first cruise in June, 2000 I had a blast. The food was good (banana rum soup!), the staff were friendly and everything was just perfect! On the last day of the cruise, during the last dinner of the cruise, my waiter asked if I wanted seconds of whatever it had been ... I looked at him and said, "I can get *more*?" He laughed and said, "Of course you can." I looked at my step-mom and dad and they just looked back with a look of "I thought you knew that." ...

I pigged out on my second cruise ... and I plan to pig out again on my third one coming up in May! :-D

During the 2000 cruise, my sister and I ended up getting one of the handicapped access rooms. I guess they didn't have any other cabins available. We didn't complain. That room was double the size of the room our parents got! It was so huge! And the bathroom was about the same size as our parents room without it's bathroom.

Oh, if you and your sister have different last names, be sure to let the booking people know this. My sister and I have different last names and they had put the two beds together, assuming we would want to be together. LoL. I think both of us nearly died laughing at that. They fixed it all up before we even left port. :: Sigh :: Ah, memories...

Undrhil

I learned to truly enjoy every moment on the cruise........because once it ends, reality slaps you in the head. At home, there are no cabin stewards, and we don't eat several courses at dinner (and if we do, I have to cook them AND do the clean-up), and I can't make a good pina colada. I've also learned that the best remedy for the after cruise blues, is to get to a travel agent ASAP and pick up brochures to plan your next cruise.

I learned to truly enjoy every moment on the cruise........because once it ends, reality slaps you in the head. At home, there are no cabin stewards, and we don't eat several courses at dinner (and if we do, I have to cook them AND do the clean-up), and I can't make a good pina colada. I've also learned that the best remedy for the after cruise blues, is to get to a travel agent ASAP and pick up brochures to plan your next cruise.

And when I turned down my bed at home, instead of a mint, I got a cat hairball. sigh.

I learned to truly enjoy every moment on the cruise........ I've also learned that the best remedy for the after cruise blues, is to get to a travel agent ASAP and pick up brochures to plan your next cruise.

Problem is after a time 'planning' does not stop at one. This is your first warning!:D :D :D john

And when I turned down my bed at home, instead of a mint, I got a cat hairball. sigh.
omg I can relate to that one..we have cats...and my family always is wierd when we get home and I serve dinner....they say..I am really not in the mood for that..can I have?????????????and I say bite me..the cruise is over:)

1. that there is no such thing as a diet on a cruise.

2. that there is no such thing as a budget on a cruise.

3. that I will order and consume amounts of food I would never even consider on land.

4. that I will pack 10 pairs of shorts and only actually wear 4.

5. that I will pack 10 pairs of capris and only actually wear 4.

6. that after 7 days, I really do miss soda!

7. that after a day in the sun, the icey cold bottle of spring water they leave chilling in your room, that costs much more than it is worth, starts looking really, really good.

8. that the room steward and waiters deserve way more than what the suggested tips are, because they work their butts off!

9. that standing on the deck for a long time, with lots and lots of people, in the 90 degree Miami sun, with a life jacket on, is not fun!

10. That when I get home, I will be starving two hours after I eat a "normal" sized meal!!!

Archived