Top 10 Things we Unexpectedly Learned on our First Cruise.

suznf

The following are top 10 unexpected things my family (DH& W 47, 45 & 2 DSs- 17 & 19) learned on our first cruise that we didn't expect to learn....

10. It isn't the location of your dining table, it is the quality of your tablemates that makes all the difference.

9. You can make anything using towels and rubber bands.

8. You can fix anything with a treatment and a variety of products conveniently available in the spa.

7. There is a parasite that burrows into humans that can be coaxed out with bacon.

6. The age of consent at sea is 16.

5. A martini that is shaken is more diluted than one that is stirred.

4. The employees can't drink in their staterooms (that’s what he said)…

3. There is a three legged dog on every Caribbean island.

2. The lobster is gluton free.

1. Flying fish really fly!

What did you learn on your last cruise?

On my first cruise I learned that you can have a heartattack at the end of the cruise when they slide the bill under your stateroom door. (LOL) Damn liquor bill. (LOL) Sailing on my 14th cruise on Adventure of the Seas 4/30/06.

John aka: jcruise

It's a requirement that every ship sail with at least one woman who looks like Mimi from "Drew Carey Show" and one incredibly obese man who likes to walk around the pool deck in a speedo. :eek:

Quoted for truth. It's like the shipyards install them just prior to launch.

Lifeboats? ... check

Life preservers? .... check

Deck chairs? .... check

Mimi? .... check

Speedo Guy .... check

Ok, let's launch!

I'm glad your DH appreciated your purely therapeutic gift of allowing him to overcome his fears...:D

I was just stunned to hear he didn't think this was an incredible gift! I guess it's the reason why, even though crusing has more satisfied return customers than any other vacation format, why only a small percentage of the population cruises - they don't think it's for them!

Boy, they just couldn't be more mistaken. If the cruise has been matched to their personality and budget, I don't know of anyone that didn't have a great time. On the other hand I do know of others who chose poorly and were miserable and now are put off cruising forever... their loss!!

What did I learn on my first cruise? I learned of the existence of the phantom cruiser. Every sailing I've been on has one. Somehow he/she got access to my Seapass....he/she put all kinds of drinks on my Seapass account. I know it was the phantom cruiser...no way it was me!!:D

LOL...Bob...you may be right ;)

phantom7.JPG

That is why we take a transatlantic cruise every other year - 14 days and a majority are sea days. And with a westbound transatlantic, you have your European touring at the beginning so you can use the crossing time to rest and relax. I find that it takes me forever to read a book on a trans (I am normally a speed reader and have been known to read a book iin a weekend or even in one day) - I start to read and about an hour or two later I am still on the same page. The gentle swaying motion of the ship just lulls me to sleep - no matter where I sit down to read.

I am like you, I like spending days at sea. What was your cruise to nowhere like? I hope to do a 14 day transantlatic sooner than later!

I learned that if we drive to the port, it's possible to take even more luggage than I ever thought possible. And that a power strip really does come in handy when you need to recharge batteries since my battery charger doesn't fit the electrical outlets in a lot of cabins.

I will have to combine what I have learned since both my cruise experiences, even though on the same ship and itinerary, were vastly different due to traveling companions.

1. I love cruises

2. Even when you think you could not eat another bite......you can

3. The bartenders can make some mean drinks

4. Watching people stagger back to the ship after docking in Key West is fun.

5. Great table mates in the dinning room becomes one of your favorite memories

6. I don't care who see's me in my bathing suit

7. Not to be afraid of the shower curtain

8. You will run into the same people over and over even though your ship is full.

9. You will have as much fun as you will allow yourself to have

10. It is addicting.

I learned that just because it's a martini "happy hour" you DON'T have to, and shouldn't try to get one of every flavor! :o

Clem

Darn...and that was at the top of my things to do on our Galaxy cruise next christmas...!

Archived