Top 10 Things we Unexpectedly Learned on our First Cruise.

suznf

The following are top 10 unexpected things my family (DH& W 47, 45 & 2 DSs- 17 & 19) learned on our first cruise that we didn't expect to learn....

10. It isn't the location of your dining table, it is the quality of your tablemates that makes all the difference.

9. You can make anything using towels and rubber bands.

8. You can fix anything with a treatment and a variety of products conveniently available in the spa.

7. There is a parasite that burrows into humans that can be coaxed out with bacon.

6. The age of consent at sea is 16.

5. A martini that is shaken is more diluted than one that is stirred.

4. The employees can't drink in their staterooms (that’s what he said)…

3. There is a three legged dog on every Caribbean island.

2. The lobster is gluton free.

1. Flying fish really fly!

What did you learn on your last cruise?

Can you explain the bacon thing - you got me:eek: a little freaked out!

lol. The day before we left for FL, my DS was bitten on the foot by a spider. (He would like to believe it was a brown recluse-cause the Dr. said it could have been ....) As we travelled, his foot swelled.

The day before we were to board the Mariner, it was obvious that his foot had become horribly infected. Took him to a clinic in Cocoa Beach. While the Dr. drained it and contemplated it's origin, the Dr. told us of a parasite (in South America I believe) that burrows into the flesh. It however, really likes bacon. To remove it, rather than cutting, you wrap the wound with bacon. When the parasite appears to eat it, well, then the Dr. grabs it with some tongs and ..removes it! :eek:

Made the spider bite seem not so bad after all!

Ewww...but interesting....

lol. The day before we left for FL, my DS was bitten on the foot by a spider. (He would like to believe it was a brown recluse-cause the Dr. said it could have been ....) As we travelled, his foot swelled.

The day before we were to board the Mariner, it was obvious that his foot had become horribly infected. Took him to a clinic in Cocoa Beach. While the Dr. drained it and contemplated it's origin, the Dr. told us of a parasite (in South America I believe) that burrows into the flesh. It however, really likes bacon. To remove it, rather than cutting, you wrap the wound with bacon. When the parasite appears to eat it, well, then the Dr. grabs it with some tongs and ..removes it! :eek:

Made the spider bite seem not so bad after all!

Ewww...but interesting....

oh great, now at every port on our cruise im going to be freakishly worried about bug bites!! lol ill bath in bug spray everyday. hahah

sleep isn't so important when you are on a cruise vacation. There is so much going on. I always need a vacation after my cruise vacation. This time I am taking two days after my cruise to unwind and chase the post-cruise blues.

What did I learn on my first cruise? I learned of the existence of the phantom cruiser. Every sailing I've been on has one. Somehow he/she got access to my Seapass....he/she put all kinds of drinks on my Seapass account. I know it was the phantom cruiser...no way it was me!!:D

sleep isn't so important when you are on a cruise vacation. There is so much going on. I always need a vacation after my cruise vacation. This time I am taking two days after my cruise to unwind and chase the post-cruise blues.

Get to bed late, up early, party, party, party. Have fun yee haw.

I was so tired after 1st cruise that I slept through take-off on my conector flight.

oh great, now at every port on our cruise im going to be freakishly worried about bug bites!! lol ill bath in bug spray everyday. hahah

Not to worry, there is bacon in the windjammer, and I bet they would give you a raw piece if you ask nicely! ;)

That is why we take a transatlantic cruise every other year - 14 days and a majority are sea days. And with a westbound transatlantic, you have your European touring at the beginning so you can use the crossing time to rest and relax. I find that it takes me forever to read a book on a trans (I am normally a speed reader and have been known to read a book iin a weekend or even in one day) - I start to read and about an hour or two later I am still on the same page. The gentle swaying motion of the ship just lulls me to sleep - no matter where I sit down to read.

I learned that I really do wear 10 pairs of shoes in 10 days.

On a cruise I've learned that sometimes I wear 6 entirely different outfits in one day at sea. How?

9:00 Wake up, shower and wear outfit #1 to breakfast. (tee & pants)

10:00 Go to gym - outfit #2 to gym

Noon: Shower and put on outfit #3 for shipboard activities - same pants, fresh tee & underwear

2:00 Spend time by pool in outfit #4

3:00 Shower and change out of #4 which is covered in sunblock. Put on outfit #5, which is a little nicer than outfits #1 & #3 because I could end up at a martini bar or someone's cocktail party

7:00 Change for dinner/evening - outfit #6

Sheesh! Land vacations involve two outfits. One all day and then shower and change for dinner. No wonder we schlep so much luggage on a cruise! ;)

On our last cruise, I learned NOT to leave DS (19) and DD (21) in San Juan by themselves...(they found Senior Frogs on their own)...and IF they ever cruise with us again, I will make sure I remember to tell them to call our cabin when they get back on the ship so DH doesn't have to go down and have the security officers ck to see if they have boarded!

I've learned that my husband and I fall in love all over again each time we cruise. We'll be celebrating our 29th anniversary and his 65th birthday on our next cruise and I think it will be just as romantic as the first time.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I have learned that, unlike Jane110, I don't have to have as many changes of clothes as I thought. On our first cruise I packed about 3 outfits per day! I think I watched too many Love Boats!

I also have learned how much fun I can have with my DH!

Archived