Choosing a cabin

Mrs applehead

EA grade cabins are the top tier of Deluxe Balcony Cabin.  If I booked one of these I would tick "yes" to free upgrades as in the unlikely event of a free upgrade it would be relocating me from the exact cabin I have chosen to a random Suite. A win win situation on booking like this.

All the EA cabins have other cabins above and below and thus considered a quiet set up.  The bulk of cabins are midships or aft on different deck heights plus a few aft end locations.  The higher the deck the more the movement of the ship will be felt and even  more so at the aft too.  If you do not suffer at all from motion sickness this will not matter.  The midships cabins give better access to the Dome and atrium whereas the aft cabins give better access to the restaurants.  It should be noted that the theatre is forward a long way from aft.

Some of the actual aft end cabins look a bit problematic in terms of the infinity pool. Some individual cabins are located at the sides on a corner giving a far bigger balcony, these look top balcony choice.  The wavy nature of the balcony rails mean you should look at a deck plan when booking to not get an extra thin balcony.  

In general which facilities are you likely to use frequently and favour that area.  In general it's all about weighing up all the advantages/disadvantages of a particular location.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Does anyone know what the different grades/colours stand for. I can't seem to find where it tells you. 

I'm looking at a cruise on Britannia, on an inside cabin. Our previous P&O cruises on Ventura we have been on deck 11 near to the back. As I do suffer from travel sickness I thought I would try and get a cabin lower down. Deck G seems to have a lot of white space and not many cabins. They are above the photo studio, Glass House and The Crystal Room.

Deck F which has cabins above and below still seems to have a lot of white space. Does anyone know what these spaces are.

1 hour ago, emam said:

Does anyone know what the different grades/colours stand for. I can't seem to find where it tells you. 

I'm looking at a cruise on Britannia, on an inside cabin. Our previous P&O cruises on Ventura we have been on deck 11 near to the back. As I do suffer from travel sickness I thought I would try and get a cabin lower down. Deck G seems to have a lot of white space and not many cabins. They are above the photo studio, Glass House and The Crystal Room.

Deck F which has cabins above and below still seems to have a lot of white space. Does anyone know what these spaces are.

They are just so you can compare the different grades as stated with the same colour on deck plan so you know where they are. The grades are named at the top of deck plan page in the brochure and also at the top of the page of deck plan of Britannia on P&Os website.

Edited by majortom10

1 hour ago, emam said:

Britannia inside cabins are graded with a prefix letter O or P.  OA and OB are on decks A. B and C. The "O" series are Larger Inside cabins.  PA, PB, PC, PD, PE and PF are on decks A, B, C, D, E, F and G and are standard size. There are special notes on some inside cabins for four persons which seem to imply that the twin beds are fixed and cannot be made into a double bed. These are worth avoiding with just two persons travelling.  

The second letter in each grade implies desirability in terms of location with higher/lower prices through the range with A grade being thought of as the best.  It is important to realise that location is based on the average person and you might have a totally different preference.

The area next to a cabin where shown as white space could be anything relating to running the ship; crew cabins, engineering plant, stores etc so is an unknown quantity.  Where a venue is shown next to, above or below your prospective cabin you have to make a considered judgement about the impact it may have on the relevant cabin. I would not want a cabin below the gym, swimming pool or open deck where loungers might be dragged about by the crew setting them out in the morning.  Close proximity to a launderette which have fixed opening hours and are handy to pop in to iron a shirt would be a more positive.

You just need to evaluate your personal priorities assess the extra costs and balance it all up. Always have a printed brochure to look at if you ever phone someone for a deal as they can suddenly offer something which you need to consider.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

7 hours ago, majortom10 said:

They are just so you can compare the different grades as stated with the same colour on deck plan so you know where they are. The grades are named at the top of deck plan page in the brochure and also at the top of the page of deck plan of Britannia on P&Os website.

Thanks, I obviously haven't looked far enough or in the wrong place.

7 hours ago, john watson said:

Britannia inside cabins are graded with a prefix letter O or P.  OA and OB are on decks A. B and C. The "O" series are Larger Inside cabins.  PA, PB, PC, PD, PE and PF are on decks A, B, C, D, E, F and G and are standard size. There are special notes on some inside cabins for four persons which seem to imply that the twin beds are fixed and cannot be made into a double bed. These are worth avoiding with just two persons travelling.  

The second letter in each grade implies desirability in terms of location with higher/lower prices through the range with A grade being thought of as the best.  It is important to realise that location is based on the average person and you might have a totally different preference.

The area next to a cabin where shown as white space could be anything relating to running the ship; crew cabins, engineering plant, stores etc so is an unknown quantity.  Where a venue is shown next to, above or below your prospective cabin you have to make a considered judgement about the impact it may have on the relevant cabin. I would not want a cabin below the gym, swimming pool or open deck where loungers might be dragged about by the crew setting them out in the morning.  Close proximity to a launderette which have fixed opening hours and are handy to pop in to iron a shirt would be a more positive.

You just need to evaluate your personal priorities assess the extra costs and balance it all up. Always have a printed brochure to look at if you ever phone someone for a deal as they can suddenly offer something which you need to consider.

Regards John

It's good to know the code for the larger cabins. I did look at one (not on Britannia) before, it just came up as being larger, but I didn't like where it was. I think I need to try and study the brochure a bit.

I have seen the code for the rooms with the Pullman bunks and usually try not to get those ones. 

Thank you for your help.