Photo Backup

I use a card reader, USB on-the-go cable and a Kindle Fire with a 128GB micro-SD card mounted in it's expansion slot.

Reasonably fast and has a bonus of a nice screen to peek at the day's images if you want.

Dave

4 minutes ago, pierces said:

I use a card reader, USB on-the-go cable and a Kindle Fire with a 128GB micro-SD card mounted in it's expansion slot.

Reasonably fast and has a bonus of a nice screen to peek at the day's images if you want.

Dave

I do miss the days of being able to save my entire trip on a micro-SD card.

But now that I'm also doing time lapses on a 42 megapixel camera and also recording 4K video on a variety of devices, I don't leave a trip without about 1TB of stuff. That being said, files on that drive I linked can be viewed remotely by iOS/Android apps (or anyone wanting to put up with a slightly kludgy browser interface).

1 minute ago, Paul S said:

Mine has just failed mid-cruise.

Oh no! That's been a fear of mine. Were you able to get your data that you saved on it off? I have 2 of these (the first one was slow, so I bought the updated one). Sometimes, when I have a strong image that I want to further backup AND I get a strong network connection, I also send those images back to my storage devices back at home.

Won’t boot up, lights flashing and off. Tried factory reset but to no avail. Instead have copied my photos via WiFi from my Fujifilm X-H1 to my iPad but was surprised to find that only small images are saved rather than the RAW and JPEGS shot in camera. I have spare space on my iPad to copy across a couple of 32 Gb cards but haven’t been able to work out how to do so as yet.

23 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Won’t boot up, lights flashing and off. Tried factory reset but to no avail. Instead have copied my photos via WiFi from my Fujifilm X-H1 to my iPad but was surprised to find that only small images are saved rather than the RAW and JPEGS shot in camera. I have spare space on my iPad to copy across a couple of 32 Gb cards but haven’t been able to work out how to do so as yet.

That happened to me once--I left it charging for a while and it seemed to fix itself. Which version do you have?

It's amazing how few products are available for this particular use case. The GNARBOX is too small in capacity and too high in price (and apparently pretty buggy). The version 2 verdict is still out on that, as it's still in preorder.

My back up plan is in threes, I take my laptop, (2) 2TB LaCie Rugged hard drives plus I try to have enough memory cards for the trip. (This only works on a cruise when I go to Hawaii I never have enough) I have 2 ThinkTank Pixel pocket rockets one marked "empty" and the other "used". Once the card is full and down loaded it is moved to the "used" pocket. 

Each day I down load the days files to both LaCie's which I have attached to the back of my laptop with Velcro. When we are in transit (flying or moving to another destination) one LaCie goes into my carryon and the other in my wife's purse. The "used" pocket rocket is looped around my belt then into my pocket. On the ship or hotel all three go into the safe. 

When I get home the files are downloaded to a NAS unit that has (6) 4tb drives in a RAID 10 configuration which then backs up to a Iosafe (fire proof and water safe NAS) . I then also copy the files to a NAS unit I have in the server rack at work (off site).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KYBOB said:

My back up plan is in threes, I take my laptop, (2) 2TB LaCie Rugged hard drives plus I try to have enough memory cards for the trip. (This only works on a cruise when I go to Hawaii I never have enough) I have 2 ThinkTank Pixel pocket rockets one marked "empty" and the other "used". Once the card is full and down loaded it is moved to the "used" pocket. 

Each day I down load the days files to both LaCie's which I have attached to the back of my laptop with Velcro. When we are in transit (flying or moving to another destination) one LaCie goes into my carryon and the other in my wife's purse. The "used" pocket rocket is looped around my belt then into my pocket. On the ship or hotel all three go into the safe. 

When I get home the files are downloaded to a NAS unit that has (6) 4tb drives in a RAID 10 configuration which then backs up to a Iosafe (fire proof and water safe NAS) . I then also copy the files to a NAS unit I have in the server rack at work (off site).

A person after my own heart. Your backup strategy is similar to mine--but after all that, my Synology's also backup to the cloud.

Edited by spthealien

7 hours ago, spthealien said:

That happened to me once--I left it charging for a while and it seemed to fix itself. Which version do you have?

It's amazing how few products are available for this particular use case. The GNARBOX is too small in capacity and too high in price (and apparently pretty buggy). The version 2 verdict is still out on that, as it's still in preorder.

Passport wireless pro 2Tb. It’s been on charge now for a couple of days but isn’t holding the charge.

22 hours ago, Paul S said:

I have two of these.  If you weren't at sea, I'd lend you one.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJYT2AM/A/lightning-to-sd-card-camera-reader

1 hour ago, kenevenpar said:

Paul S, if you are on a celebrity cruise, they usually have the connector I just shared.

I’m on Azamara. Plenty of connectors with me but no laptop, I travel with an iPad.

10 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Have to see whether I can get one at our next port of call. Not something I’ve seen in the shops on board. Maybe the ship photographer has one I can borrow.

I remember having it plugged in...powered off...then holding the power button and WPS for about 10 seconds while plugging it in and it powering up successfully.

Update: found the article:
https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=15082

Edited by spthealien

I use the Apple / SD card cable setup but I go one stage further & I've configured my iPad to automatically upload photos to Dropbox (or similar Cloud service) as soon as there is a Wi-Fi signal available.

I haven't tried that setup on a cruise yet but it makes for a 'belt and braces' backup solution at home.

Aside from the other excellent suggestions here, I would recommend not piling your entire vacation into a single SD card.

SD cards are so cheap that it's not entirely unreasonable (IMHO) to take N cards, where N is the number of days of your trip. Change cards daily and keep them in a safe place. That way if a card gets completely corrupted or completely lost (before you get to your daily backup regimen), you only lose at most one day of photos.

Edited by alevyinroc
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got the Ravpower travel router which has SD and USB port and I will bring a portable SSD for daily backup. I got multiple brand new U1/U3 SD cards for my cameras as they are so cheap these days, but you still need to backup the file frequently as you never know when the flash memory is corrupted. It can transfer files between SD and the USB drive. If you want, you can use thumb drives for extra copies. The travel router can also work as a media server that any devices connected by wifi can access the media on the SD or USB drive through their app. Most important, it is a travel router that it allows you to share the internet on the ship with multiple devices. I got this one for $25 when it was on sale. You can get a refurbished one at $19. There are other brands and new models too.

https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Wireless-Portable-Streamer-Cellphone/dp/B07N6BYH7Z/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=travel+router&qid=1554329258&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A2XR0GE58QDDNI

It has a power bank built-in so it does not need external power. You can carry it anywhere on the ship and even off the ship.

Edited by Tourist1292