Explorer Suite services

Mosaic

Do Explorer Suite get any different services other than early boarding???  Seeing how they do not have butlers or a private lounge/concierge they seems lacking. Have never been on Viking.  Any thoughts??? Thanks.

8 minutes ago, Mosaic said:

Do Explorer Suite get any different services other than early boarding???  Seeing how they do not have butlers or a private lounge/concierge they seems lacking. Have never been on Viking.  Any thoughts??? Thanks.

I know all the perks are listed on the website but I can not quote them off the top of my head.  That would probably be your best bet.

2 hours ago, Mosaic said:

Everybody gets "early boarding" and no one is boarded until the ship is cleared of the disembarking passengers, usually around 10am.  Passengers board as they arrive. The difference is when your cabin will be ready for you. Explorer Suites are promised by 11am, which means they could be available even early.

The only thing you get is extra space in your cabin, the ability to be among the first to book excursions and specialty restaurants and the other perks listed on the website. There are no public spaces that are reserved for Explorer Suite passengers nor are there concierges or butlers. There is only one level of service on the Viking ships; everyone is treated as if they were the occupants of the Owner's Suite.

Here are the features of the Explorer Suites. You can compare with other cabins classes on the Viking website, under SHIPS, then choose a ship (they are all the same) and scroll down.

Explorer Suite (ES)

• Size including private veranda: 757–1,163 sq ft *Room size and layouts vary based on ship location.
  • 11:00 AM embarkation
  • 11:00 AM priority stateroom access
  • Priority shore excursion reservations: 97 days prior to departure
  • 3 guaranteed priority reservations at each alternative restaurant: 90 days prior to departure
  • Priority booking of spa treatments: 90 days prior to departure
  • King-size Viking Explorer Bed with luxury linens & pillows
  • Free Wi-Fi (connection speed may vary)
  • Two 42" flat-screen, interactive LCD TVs with intuitive remote & complimentary Movies On Demand
  • 110/220 volt outlets & USB ports
  • Mini-bar with alcoholic beverages, soft drinks, water & snacks (replenished once daily); security safe; hair dryer
  • Direct-dial satellite phone & cell service
  • Large private bathroom with spacious glass-enclosed shower, double-sink vanity, heated bathroom floor & anti-fog mirror
  • Premium Freyja® toiletries; plush robes & slippers
  • Purified water refilled daily
  • Stateroom steward & twice-daily housekeeping
  • 24-hour room service
  • Spacious closet & drawers
  • Complimentary laundry, dry cleaning, pressing & shoe shine services
  • Welcome bottle of champagne
  • In-suite binoculars, coffee brewer & traditional Norwegian Marius-weave blanket
  • Well-appointed living room & dining area that seats 4 guests
  • Like 1

Save your money. Don't bother with the Explorer Suite. Unlike other cruise lines, the only thing you get with this high end space is a little extra room. We were very disappointed in the nonexistence of other services. Not even a beverage package. 

1 hour ago, GigemAggies said:

Save your money. Don't bother with the Explorer Suite. Unlike other cruise lines, the only thing you get with this high end space is a little extra room. We were very disappointed in the nonexistence of other services. Not even a beverage package. 

Totally agree with you. We just disembarked the Orion and were extremely disappointed in the Explorer Suite. Except for free laundry, the amenities and the space in general were ordinary, cramped and clunky. The bathroom was smaller than most standard cabins we have had on other ships. We were in an aft suite and the wrap around deck was unusable as it was loaded with worn and weathered wood furniture covered with soot from the engines. Huge cushions (size of a double lounge) were brought into our suite in the evening that fell on the table during rocking seas. Just terrible. If we sailed on Viking again, we would choose a Penthouse Veranda Suite. 

31 minutes ago, Focused1 said:

Totally agree with you. We just disembarked the Orion and were extremely disappointed in the Explorer Suite. Except for free laundry, the amenities and the space in general were ordinary, cramped and clunky. The bathroom was smaller than most standard cabins we have had on other ships. We were in an aft suite and the wrap around deck was unusable as it was loaded with worn and weathered wood furniture covered with soot from the engines. Huge cushions (size of a double lounge) were brought into our suite in the evening that fell on the table during rocking seas. Just terrible. If we sailed on Viking again, we would choose a Penthouse Veranda Suite. 

Be thankful you had an aft suite! The forward suite balconies are a joke because you aren't allowed out there. You can only access a very small area on the side, nothing forward. And the movement in the front of the ship was awful. 

Wow thanks for this useful info, you saved me a bunch of money and disappointment. I was just thinking about trying Viking and debating between ES and PH. 

I have very much enjoyed the Celebrity Royal Suite, Oceania Suite, and NCL villas and suites. A part of it is the perks and VIP treatment. Another part is enjoying a lot of time on a large balcony.

Still deciding if I will try VO ... the paying a year in advance bugs me .. and thier frequent "accidentally" asking for all the money shortly after booking.  I am probably going to try Regent. The 2 new ships are appealing. There equivalent to the ES is probably 2x the price so I would book a PH.