Pacific ocean

Kandooma

Has anyone experienced a cruise crossing of the Pacific from Japan to Alaska? If so, what was it like? We will be doing the crossing in May.

Edited by Kandooma
Notify replies

I can be anything from smooth as glass to rough as hell.  Time of year doesn't matter to Mother Nature...so even if someone responds that "last year it was rough", (or smooth), that means nothing.  It can change from hour to hour....day to day.

On 3/14/2019 at 5:04 PM, cb at sea said:

I can be anything from smooth as glass to rough as hell.  Time of year doesn't matter to Mother Nature...so even if someone responds that "last year it was rough", (or smooth), that means nothing.  It can change from hour to hour....day to day.

Absolutely correct.

Have done North Pacific crossings several times and had vastly different conditions on each.

My consistent advice for all cruises, no matter what the itinerary:

Prepare and anticipate for rough seas.  If they don't materialize, consider this a plus.

If you can't abide by the possibility of rough seas, perhaps cruising isn't for you.  Or maybe just river cruising.

That's a great itinerary. You will have multiple time changes (forward). One day the ship time moved 1 hour forward overnight and another hour forward in the afternoon.

There are some unique shore excursions on the Kamchatka peninsula, the Russian far east. I'd do this itinerary again in a blink if the timing was right.