Jogging Deck

lkpt26

We are sailing on Viking Sea. Can anyone tell me if the Jogging deck is truly for jogging( slow run) or is it just for walking? Also if jogging is allowed are their restricted times so pounding feet do not bother others? 

32 minutes ago, lkpt26 said:

We are sailing on Viking Sea. Can anyone tell me if the Jogging deck is truly for jogging( slow run) or is it just for walking? Also if jogging is allowed are their restricted times so pounding feet do not bother others? 

I hope there are time restrictions. Usually on other cruise lines it’s just walking for obvious safety reasons. Running and jogging on ships is on treadmills and again there are time restrictions. 

If your concern with pounding feet is noise, not to worry. Zero chance anything outside could be heard inside. The deck is not really one where anyone would hang out either. No deck chairs, etc. Frankly, when the ship is in motion the deck is not good for much of anything, the wind is ferocious. We tried walking after dinner and it wasn't exactly pleasant. Also, since you circumnavigate the main dining room windows, you end up providing a comedy show coming and going in the wind. 

That's said, I and a (very) few other brave souls, tried running early in the morning. The ship isn't that large so a lap is pretty short, there are narrow blind corners which require slowing down, crews are often out with hoses in the morning. All in all, not worth the trouble. Next time: treadmill or off the ship. I don't recall any walkers in the morning either.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cmaasfamily said:

If your concern with pounding feet is noise, not to worry. Zero chance anything outside could be heard inside. The deck is not really one where anyone would hang out either. No deck chairs, etc. Frankly, when the ship is in motion the deck is not good for much of anything, the wind is ferocious. We tried walking after dinner and it wasn't exactly pleasant. Also, since you circumnavigate the main dining room windows, you end up providing a comedy show coming and going in the wind. 

That's said, I and a (very) few other brave souls, tried running early in the morning. The ship isn't that large so a lap is pretty short, there are narrow blind corners which require slowing down, crews are often out with hoses in the morning. All in all, not worth the trouble. Next time: treadmill or off the ship. I don't recall any walkers in the morning either.

I concur with this post.  I have run laps on both Crystal ships (and they were good runs) and the SS Spirit and Regent SS Mariner (both OK runs), but did not want to run on the Viking Orion deck.  Would not have been a good run.  Just ran at each port, if possible, or on a treadmill in the fitness center.

6 hours ago, cmaasfamily said:

Frankly, when the ship is in motion the deck is not good for much of anything, the wind is ferocious. We tried walking after dinner and it wasn't exactly pleasant.

The wind you experience on a moving ship is known as the apparent wind, which is a resultant of the true wind, ship's speed and course.

If the ship is heading directly into the wind, you can experience a strong apparent wind, but when the wind is from astern at the same speed as the ship, you have zero wind over the deck. 

On sea days, I generally walk the Prom Deck every morning and have experienced some blustery days, but also many with no wind over the deck.

The deck is 1/4 mile.

You will have difficulty jogging for several reasons as noted above. 

At the front of the ship there is a narrow (one person only) passage and it is a blind curve. It would be somewhat dangerous for you (and anyone you overtake or encounter) in this portion.

Since almost everyone is walking on this deck you would probably just frustrate yourself with the amount of people you need to continually overtake (or wait for in the single file portion). Additionally, we found that every day we walked there were folks walking both clockwise and counterclockwise which would add to your people-dodging.

I was on Viking Sea in Jan and walked the deck several mornings, only saw 2 people jogging.  Agree with others, they are hosing the deck and there are slippery spots and the blind corners so joggers would probably prefer the treadmills.