Booking Cabana on Royal

Luvtennis6060

5 minutes ago, Luvtennis6060 said:

Sailing on the Royal 3/30 to Mexican Riviera. Where do I go to book a cabana on the Royal and what is the current cost for full day and 1/2 day?  Thank You in advance.

Cindy

There are actually two types of rentable "cabanas" on the Royal/Regal, the expensive ones inside the Sanctuary. and the cheaper ones just outside in the Retreat Pool  area. Which ones are you asking about? Either way, booking is done at the entrance to the Sanctuary early on Embarkation day.

7 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

There are actually two types of rentable "cabanas" on the Royal/Regal, the expensive ones inside the Sanctuary. and the cheaper ones just outside in the Retreat Pool  area. Which ones are you asking about? Either way, booking is done at the entrance to the Sanctuary early on Embarkation day.

The retreat pool.

Cindy

3 minutes ago, Luvtennis6060 said:

The retreat pool.

Cindy

Much more affordable choice ;o) The Retreat Pool Cabanas, as of late last year, were $80 per day, $50 per half day, while the full on Cabanas inside the Sanctuary are $220 per day. Again, the Retreat Pool cabanas are booked through the folks that run the Sanctuary. Enjoy your trip, we'll be on her yet again the week before you.

• Like 2

On 3/18/2019 at 4:07 PM, lx200gps said:

Much more affordable choice ;o) The Retreat Pool Cabanas, as of late last year, were $80 per day, $50 per half day, while the full on Cabanas inside the Sanctuary are $220 per day. Again, the Retreat Pool cabanas are booked through the folks that run the Sanctuary. Enjoy your trip, we'll be on her yet again the week before you.

Yes, and I just recently read that Princess increased the number of cabanas on the Sky in Sanctuary.  If it is otherwise like Regal/Royal in that area, there is too much open deck with sun for my taste, but those cabanas are way expensive and from what I have seen before, not used much.  So they are taking away deck real estate for more cabanas and that means less loungers.  And a super high cost to get some shade.  

4 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

Yes, and I just recently read that Princess increased the number of cabanas on the Sky in Sanctuary.  If it is otherwise like Regal/Royal in that area, there is too much open deck with sun for my taste, but those cabanas are way expensive and from what I have seen before, not used much.  So they are taking away deck real estate for more cabanas and that means less loungers.  And a super high cost to get some shade.  

No arguments here. The Sanctuaries on the Regal and Royal have way too much sun for us as well, and the Retreat Pool area is absolutely useless for us for that reason. On the big ships, we always try to get loungers in the forward area in the general vicinity of the covered sofas. The two sides are far too exposed for us.  We're booked on the Sky for November around the Med and April in the Caribbean, so we'll see what the new Sanctuary look like then.

28 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

keep us posted lx200gps.  would like to know the layout of sky and how the area sanctuary is laid out.

Will do, though we only sail on her, soon after the inaugural, in early November. Given the images shown on the Princess website, I'm not overly optimistic that sun-avoiders like us will have a lot of choice, but we'll see it for ourselves when we  book.

I've noticed that the cabanas at the Retreat pool are often in the sun on Regal/Royal.  They do have some sort of curtains by the posts, but have never seen them closed to prevent excessive sun, and not sure they are large enough to offer shade.  We like that area, but do not rent a cabana bc we like to follow the shade/move around and would be reluctant to leave the cabana if we had paid for it.  

Hope you have a fabulous cruise and find the cabanas to your liking! 

36 minutes ago, GloriaF said:

I've noticed that the cabanas at the Retreat pool are often in the sun on Regal/Royal.  They do have some sort of curtains by the posts, but have never seen them closed to prevent excessive sun, and not sure they are large enough to offer shade.  We like that area, but do not rent a cabana bc we like to follow the shade/move around and would be reluctant to leave the cabana if we had paid for it.  

Hope you have a fabulous cruise and find the cabanas to your liking! 

The Retreat pool area is VERY sunny, and often windy as well, too much so for our liking. I believe that the side curtains on those Cabanas around the Retreat pool are not full width and offer virtually no shade from sun coming in at an angle. Only the roof provides any real, usable shade, and the curtains only "close" a very small distance. IOW, there's no way to fully close the curtains to block sun or have privacy.

9 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

The Retreat pool area is VERY sunny, and often windy as well, too much so for our liking. I believe that the side curtains on those Cabanas around the Retreat pool are not full width and offer virtually no shade from sun coming in at an angle. Only the roof provides any real, usable shade, and the curtains only "close" a very small distance. IOW, there's no way to fully close the curtains to block sun or have privacy.

Agreed.  I didn't mention wind, but was visualizing the curtains blowing as I wrote this.  

An added tip:  Dollar Tree offers large clips (6 or 8/pkg for $1) that make keeping towels on the chairs so much easier.  The clips only come in white and blue, but are same size & strength as the decorative ones sold for this purpose in specialty shops.  So, if you don't need your clip to have a flamingo, parrot, etc. head on it, make a stop at Dollar Tree. 😉

Edited by GloriaF

8 minutes ago, GloriaF said:

Agreed.  I didn't mention wind, but was visualizing the curtains blowing as I wrote this.  

An added tip:  Dollar Tree offers large clips (6 or 8/pkg for $1) that make keeping towels on the chairs so much easier.  The clips only come in white and blue, but are same size & strength as the decorative ones sold for this purpose in specialty shops.  So, if you don't need your clip to have a flamingo, parrot, etc. head on it, make a stop at Dollar Tree. 😉

A couple of times it's been so windy when we walk to or from the Sanctuary that we've almost been blown off our feet walking past the Retreat pool. Towels and other personal items were flying everywhere The right combination of ambient wind blowing across the open ocean plus the ship's forward velocity while at sea can be quite "exciting" ;o)