Advice re disembarking at Barcelona

The Odd Couple

When our cruise ends in Barcelona, we have a hotel booking for a couple of days in the city, which means we will need to arrange a transfer.  Before issuing colour coded luggage tags, does Celebrity send out a form asking what time you wish to disembark?  Roughly how long should we allow to get through security?  I understand it's a good idea to book your transfer in advance, so am hoping to work out some sort of timescale.  Thanks for any help you can give.

Yes, you will have the opportunity to choose your disembarkation time when you receive your disembarking papers a few days before the end of the cruise.  It usually depends on your flight times, if you want to do self-assist disembark or if you are staying at a post cruise hotel.  Book your transfer (I'm assuming a private car) in advance and then advise Passenger Services what time you need to get off the ship.  Depending on a whole bunch of variables, you should get through customs quickly.  Private transfer services  monitor ship arrival times and will wait for you to get off the ship and through customs.  Since check in times at hotels are usually in the afternoon, I would choose the latest time possible to disembark.

Taxi fairs are regulated in Barcelona so no worries of being ripped of.

We have disembarked there a couple of times. Whilst there was a queue for the taxis it was efficient and ordered. I don’t think we waited more that 5/10 minutes. I honestly wouldn’t bother pre booking a transfer unless your hotel is miles away. No worries then about your luggage tag number.

Hotels rarely allow you to check in before lunchtime and many do stick to 3pm/4pm so I suggest you find yourself a comfortable seat, allow all the crowds to go before you then exit as everything (including the taxi rank) becomes quieter....

If you do decide to book a transfer bear in mind ships can vary dramatically in the speed they empty so allow a decent margin of time.

When we disembarked in Barcelona we booked a half day tour of Barcelona that included Mont Juic and Parc Gueil through Barcelona Day Tours. It was a small group tour, perhaps 16 people max.

They picked us up at the ship and stored our bags in the bus. We did the tour and then were dropped at our hotel when it was over. 

I seem to remember disembarkation that morning was manic, with long taxi lines, so it was nice to just get straight onto our tourbus. I think Barcelona Day Tours might also offer a tour that picks up at the ship, goes to Montserrat and drops you and your bags at your hotel when it's over.

We self-disembarked when we were ready to leave and stood in the taxi line for a few minutes, as chemmo mentioned above.  If you don't do a tour, such as agathasmum suggested, it's easy to get a taxi.

Bon voyage! 

Last September, we booked a half day tour with Barcelona Day Tours for disembarkation. We were picked up at the Port around 8:30. Had a great, small group, 4 hour tour of Barcelona, including Park Guell and were dropped at our hotel afterwards. The taxi queue was very long as several ships were disembarking at the same time, so not everyone experiences easy ad hoc taxi pick up. We had been to Barcelona before, but still enjoyed getting a tour. Also, when we were leaving our hotel to go to the airport, our hotel recommended prebooking a taxi, (which they did for us) and I would that recommend to you as well. Have a great trip.

Edited by CYNSport

I've embarked and disembarked at Barcelona cruiseport more times than I can remember for the last 15 years. Things have changed for the better(Minivan taxis) since I first started cruising from there (Many TA's embark/disembark from there). There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to prebook a transfer to your hotel. There are tons of cabs that come to line up and pickup passengers. Barcelona hotels RARELY allow early morning check-in so you should just plan on dropping off your luggage at the hotel and go sightseeing. You can start your morning first at a cafe and have a Cafe con Leche or Spain's famous Hot Chocolate (The consistency of chocolate pudding before it has set) and Churros. 

If you plan on doing self debarkation you'll be off really early(probably around 8:00) and there won't be any issues with customs or taxis. Then you can go drop off your luggage at your hotel and start your sightseeing. Don't plan on getting a room assigned until 11:00-Noon AT THE EARLIEST(More likely 1PM).  If you've NEVER been to Sagrada Familia Cathedral or if you want to go visit again may I suggest pre-booking an entry ticket for the morning you are disembarking. You're up early anyway and the lines get crazy long as the day goes on. You DEFINITELY HAVE TO PRE-BOOK your entry ticket. So you do self disembarkation, cab it to your hotel and drop off your luggage, then cab it to the Cathedral. Afterwards have a snack and/or early lunch (For lunch may I suggest checking out the prix Fixe menus called Menu Del Dia. They are posted at every restaurant and offer a GREAT deal, usually 9-12 Euros for 3 courses where you choose your starter, main course and desert. Ask for the Menu Del Dia if you don't see it posted) and then you can venture back to the hotel to see if your room is ready.

Edited by kwokpot

Thanks so much for all that good advice.  I've noticed that on the day we arrive in Barcelona, there will be 4 other cruise ships in port as well.  I will definitely check with our hotel if we can store our luggage in the event we arrive early.

In February, no disembark questionair.  Gave tags but if bad time go to.guest relations and get a different time.

Last November we booked a half day tour of Montserrat and drop off at our hotel when we left the ship.  Had a great tour.  We had a perfect sunny day.  Used Spain day tours.