Question for Jade experts regarding suites

Cruizen Susan

Hi cruise friends,

I am getting ready to book a last minute sailing on the Jade in April.   I have a question about the Penthouses with a Large balcony either SE or SF.  Actually two questions.

We love both forward AND aft,  and they are equal in price.  However I have read that it can get very windy in the forward suite, with VERY large balcony.   Ship is sailing south from NYC to Bermuda and Bahamas.    Aft has a smaller balcony,  but seems just as nice a cabin.   2nd question, DH has had recent hip surgery and limited in walking distances for now.   Which location would require less walking to dining and entertainment venues?

Thanks in advance!!

Susan

I have been on the Jade twice both in forward cabins.

The front deck does get windy so we only use it in

port or under very calm conditions. I have never been in an aft cabin.

The buffet is aft  so if you plan on eating

there a lot an aft cabin is better for you.

We dreaded the very long trek upstairs each morning from our

forward cabin.

The Stardust theatre is forward but the bliss lounge is mid-ship.

Have a great cruise.

• Like 1

We've stayed in both the SE and SF suites on the Jewel-class ships (of which the Jade is one).  In terms of walking, the SE suites (forward-facing) are closer to the main theatre, which is in the bow of the ship.  But it's pretty much as far as you can be from the larger MDR (Grand Pacific), the buffet, and the Great Outdoors (imho one of the best outdoor spaces on these ships).  The smaller MDR, Alizar, is more or less midship, as is O'Sheehan's.  You'll be in a suite, which entitles you to eat breakfast and lunch in Cagney's or Moderno's (you should confirm the location with NCL, or hopefully someone on this board will have the current info); they are midship.    You should give some thought to where you feel you'll be eating; the sit-down lunch for suite guests is nice, but we often find ourselves wanting something faster, especially at lunchtime, or we just need a break from that sort of dining.

Do look at the deck plans if you haven't done so already.

If you wind up booking an SF, try to get one on Deck 10, they have the largest (deepest) balconies of the SF suites.  

In terms of the interior space, I much preferred SE 10500, Deck 10 directly under the bow, which has more interior space than the other SEs because of the bump out from the bow, than I did the SFs.  But there is the walking issue for your DH.   (My right knee failed during the cruise in which we were in that SE, and it was really tough for me to walk all the way to the buffet and Great Outdoors in the stern.)  The mirror image SE, 10000, will be the same in terms of the larger interior.  But the other SEs won't have that extra interior space.  As for the wind on those forward-facing balconies, I did not find it a problem when we were underway and I was sitting down, but we were also on a warmer-weather cruise (Panama Canal) than you will be on.  There's also a very heavy door to contend with if you want to use your balcony in the evening.  (It's okay to keep it open during the day.)  The SEs are a bit more "disconnected" from the water than are the SFs, where you will be over the wake.

I hope that's helpful.   If you have any other questions, just ask.  Enjoy whichever you choose, and all the best to your DH in his recovery!

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 2

Wow,  great answers, thank you!   Well still a little undecided, but we will be doing specialty dining every evening, so sounds like mid-ship will be our primary dining destination.  Not much for buffets.  We enjoy the shows, so we'll need to "travel" to the other end if we are aft.  And we love live music throughout the ship.   Maybe it won't matter which end in that case.

Thanks again for your feedback,  there is nothing like experienced cruisers to point one in the right direction.  Much better than marketing hype!

Susan

Are you allowed on the balcony at night while at see in the forward facing suites.  I have heard of not be aloud on some ships.

We are currently in a minisuite but if the prices drop enough may pull the trigger on upgrading to a suite.

Edited by keep on cruisin
Mistype corrected

44 minutes ago, keep on cruisin said:

Are you allowed on the balcony at night while at see in the forward facing suites.  I have heard of not be aloud on some ships.

No problem whatsoever two years ago on the Jewel in using our SE balcony.  The only "restriction" is that, because you are under the bridge, you cannot have any lights on your balcony after dark, and you must keep your curtains drawn in your cabin at night so the interior lights don't shine on the balcony.  That was no big deal at all.  In fact, the lack of light pollution in the bow of the ship made for fabulous stargazing from our SE balcony; this was a huge added bonus.  (Not only could we see the Milky Way, but we even saw the Southern Cross in the pre-dawn hours on our approach to the Panama Canal; it's special to see this in the Northern Hemisphere.)

When your cabin steward does the evening turn down service, he/she will close the heavy watertight door to the balcony.  But there was no restriction on our opening it at night to use the balcony (just had to make sure we weren't letting any interior light onto the balcony). 

Edited by Turtles06

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

No problem whatsoever two years ago on the Jewel in using our SE balcony.  The only "restriction" is that, because you are under the bridge, you cannot have any lights on your balcony after dark, and you must keep your curtains drawn in your cabin at night so the interior lights don't shine on the balcony.  That was no big deal at all.  In fact, the lack of light pollution in the bow of the ship made for fabulous stargazing from our SE balcony; this was a huge added bonus.  (Not only could we see the Milky Way, but we even saw the Southern Cross in the pre-dawn hours on our approach to the Panama Canal; it's special to see this in the Northern Hemisphere.)

When your cabin steward does the evening turn down service, he/she will close the heavy watertight door to the balcony.  But there was no restriction on our opening it at night to use the balcony (just had to make sure we weren't letting any interior light onto the balcony). 

Thank you.