Confusion over Grand Suites on RSS Explorer

DH and I are going to cruise on the Explorer (Baltic Cruise) next year.  It was to be this year but for reasons I won't go into we are going to reschedule.  We want to (re)book a Grand Suite and I am aware that the 'original' Grand Suites are suites 1200, 1201, 784 and 785.  I am also aware that 4 former 'Explorer' Suites have been converted to Grand Suites and that these are 1012, 1015 (neither of which I would consider due to their location under the pool deck) and 901 and 900 (which I am also a little dubious about due to their location under the Bridge).  I have read some reviews of suites 1200, 1201 also citing noise issues (namely from the observation lounge) so in that regard suites 784,785 might be best BUT, they look quite a bit smaller.  I have taken a virtual tour of suite 1200 and it looks lovely and have also taken a virtual tour of another GS (number unknown) which shows a bigger  'kitchen/bar' area which I like the look of.  What to do???  If anyone who has travelled in any of these suites can make a comment about above concerns (or anything else I haven't considered) I would be most grateful.

Firstly, I admire the amount of research that you have done on thee suites.  Few people are even aware that there were 'original' Grand suites and former 'Explorer' suites that have been converted to Grand Suites.  We would not book the former Grand Suite for the reasons that you stated - location (under the pool deck or under the bridge).  

While we have not stayed in an aft Grand Suite, we have stayed in an aft Master Suite and definitely prefer the aft suites.  Even if the forward Grand Suite 1200 (which is the one we were in) is larger, the fact that the lovely, large deck is unusable much of the time which is disappointing.  And, yes, there is noise from the Observation Lounge in suites 1200 and 1201.  

Hope that this information is helpful.

Hi Travelcat, yes it is thanks.  Can I probe a little further?  As some-one who has never cruised before I'd be interested to know why you prefer the aft cabins/suites?  Also could you tell me how bad the noise is in suites 1200/1201?  It sounds like you didn't stay in those suites in the end but maybe know some-one who has?  Or you are possibly just going by the comments in my original question?  Thanks again for your time and assistance :-)

We stayed in one, don't recall which one 784 or 785.  It was a nice suite in the back of the ship, deck was very nice and we used it a lot.  The only thing that was odd, the master bath which was nice and big wasn't the shower that they showed in photo.  Don't expect a window shower.  Really wasn't a problem because I think most people when in port would close the shade when in the shower.  I liked the suite, however if the big gray chair is still in the suite, be careful once you sit you may not get out and it just takes up to much room.  I'd book it again.  Plus no noise what so ever from above, below or outside.

Edited by ronrick1943

49 minutes ago, kristabel36 said:

Hi Travelcat, yes it is thanks.  Can I probe a little further?  As some-one who has never cruised before I'd be interested to know why you prefer the aft cabins/suites?  Also could you tell me how bad the noise is in suites 1200/1201?  It sounds like you didn't stay in those suites in the end but maybe know some-one who has?  Or you are possibly just going by the comments in my original question?  Thanks again for your time and assistance :-)

We did stay in 1200 for a transatlantic cruise.  This was 4 months after the ship was launched.  Some areas of the ship had noise issues that were going to be fixed.  However, I still read that there are issues if you are above the Observation Lounge (as 1200 is), below the Culinary Center, etc.  Explorer is going in for its' first refurbishment in October, 2019 and this may be one of the things that will be addressed.  When we were in the suite (lots of sea days), we could hear the Cruise Director on the microphone doing Trivia every afternoon.  It was mildly annoying.  

Also, when you are forward on a ship (particularly as far forward as suites 1200 and 1201), you feel the motion of the ocean both forward and back as well as side to side.  This can easily create seasick issues (depending upon the itinerary and, if I remember correctly, the Baltics have relatively calm seas).  When the ship is at sea, the wind on the forward decks is considerable which is why it is unusable at times and the cushions on lounges and chairs need to be tied down.  

We just completed a 20 night cruise on Explorer in a Master Suite (aft) and were able to use the balcony every day.  Even at night!   The movement of the ship was noisy when we docked but that was the only time.  

Based on our one cruise in a forward suite on Explorer, we would likely not book that suite again.  However, we would book another aft suite in a minute!  

Actually, the former Explorer Suites are quite lovely (they even have a bidet which the Grand Suites do not have).  We are still hesitant to book a suite under the pool deck (have done that on another Regent ship) or under the bridge.

You have selected, in our opinion, the very best ship at sea for your first cruise.  Explorer is lovely, comfortable and very nicely laid out ship.  We strongly prefer her over other Regent ships.

We stayed in Suite 1200 for a Baltic Cruise last summer and will be staying there once again for a cruise next month.  We really loved the suite, and even though the balcony is not really usable while the ship is at sea, my husband  prefers to look forward and see where we are going. The suite is incredibly luxurious and the bathroom is gorgeous.  We were very comfortable there, even with one night of rough seas in the Baltics (which was otherwise calm the rest of the trip).  As for the noise, we did hear trivia happening below in the afternoon and music in the evening that ended probably around 10pm?  For us, we would have preferred not to hear it, but it wasn't very bothersome and obviously didn't prevent us from booking the same suite again.  I think you can't go wrong with any of the original Grand Suites.  We had previously stayed in 901, a former Explorer Suite reclassified to a Grand Suite, but given the option we prefer 1200.  Hope that helps!

One additional note...the suite that you viewed that seemed to have a larger kitchen and bar area could possibly be suite 900/901 which we stayed in previously.  We loved the interior space of that living area and bar, but the bedroom was considerably smaller than the bedroom in 1200/1201, with a slanted ceiling and a portal window to see out the front.  The master bathroom in that suite was gorgeous as well - no shower window but a nice big window (if I remember correctly) over the tub that looked out the front of the ship.  The balcony in 900/901 is much smaller than the other original Grand Suites.  In the end, you will not be unhappy with any of these cabins - they are luxurious and well appointed and you will be well taken care of.

Edited by morneau

2 hours ago, morneau said:

One additional note...the suite that you viewed that seemed to have a larger kitchen and bar area could possibly be suite 900/901 which we stayed in previously.  We loved the interior space of that living area and bar, but the bedroom was considerably smaller than the bedroom in 1200/1201, with a slanted ceiling and a portal window to see out the front.  The master bathroom in that suite was gorgeous as well - no shower window but a nice big window (if I remember correctly) over the tub that looked out the front of the ship.  The balcony in 900/901 is much smaller than the other original Grand Suites.  In the end, you will not be unhappy with any of these cabins - they are luxurious and well appointed and you will be well taken care of.

Just curious, larger kitchen???Am I missing something........

Not really a larger kitchen, but if I remember correctly (and I certainly may be mistaken) the kitchen area in 900/901 had the bar area against the wall and then a counter across from it so that it created a sort of galley kitchen.  No additional appliances, but it was just a little more built up in that area.  Again, I may be mistaken but my husband thinks this was the case as well.

I don't think it is really a kitchen but more of a wet bar with a coffee machine ??

haven't been on the Explorer but we are booked in Grand Suite 785 on Splendour (same layout as Explorer) with the large aft terrace.  We booked this suite mostly for the terrace as ours is a Panama Canal cruise down the coast of Mexico and central America and we wanted to be on the "sunset" side.    We most recently were in a Vista suite on oceania's Riviera which is a suite in the bow of the ship.  Could not use the terrace at all when underway - partly because of wind but mostly because on boarding there was a letter informing us that because of "light pollution" for the Bridge (which is clearly not wanted!!  They have to be able to see well at night) we could not have any lights on outside nor could we have lights on in our suite with curtains undrawn.  This was a huge problem when we sailed out of Venice at night.  We ended up standing between the curtain and the window to see the views!

I think given your itinerary using the terrace is important...we have done a Baltic cruise on the Mariner.  So I strongly suggest one of the stern Grand suites and not a forward one.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old topic, pre-pandemic cruising, and my comment here may not be seen, but thank you all for the information on the Grand suites!  We were nervous, as we booked the aft grand suite over the gym for March 2022 Miami to Rome,  and am pleased that we snagged a good suite according to the comments! gym noise shouldn't be as issue...I hope.  It looks like the balcony railings are solid though, cutting down on the view of the water. Minor quibble to be sure!

6 hours ago, jmalux said:

We are in grand suite 784 on Splendor right now, and there is definitely no noise whatsoever. It’s a wonderful suite

jmalux - Thanks very much for taking the time to post while you're on your Splendor cruise.  Perhaps after you get back home, could you take a few moments to enter a review of Suite 784 on the "Suite Guru" database (can be found at the top of the Regent Forum page).  Thanks!