NCL On Board Texting APP help

teach/2/cruise

We sail in a couple of week with 28 members of our family and friends and I read somewhere that there is an app with NCL that you can use on board to keep in touch by text with other family or passengers on board.  Does anyone know anything about this and how it works and how much it is?

Is it the Iconcierge or is it something different?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

The new version of the app is called Cruise Norwegian and it is free to download and much of the functionality is free. If you want to txt or call other passengers on board there is a one-time fee for the entire cruise per user (was USD $9.95 on my last two cruises). Once a user has opted in to the pay portion on the app you can then add them to your contacts in the app and text / call them. It worked very well for me on my last two cruises.

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/apps

This link takes you to the NCL webpage for the app.

3 minutes ago, teach/2/cruise said:

One more question:  The one time fee - is it paid prior or do you have to do it on board and where/when/how?  Thanks

You pay it onboard and it gets added to your onboard account, at least this is how it's worked in the past.

4 minutes ago, jakesnana said:

You pay it onboard and it gets added to your onboard account, at least this is how it's worked in the past.

thanks again for your help.  I downloaded the app but don't see the text/calling feature.  Does that show once you are onboard?

also, make sure to download the app before you get on the ship (or leave the dock). It requires a data plan and internet access to download and you won't have that once on the ship and at sea.  The app uses the ship's intranet so no additional costs other than the one time fee per device. You "opt in" to the text /call feature in the app once onboard connected to the ship's intranet 

You can also review your cruise information the minute you download the app (the free part) 

5 minutes ago, esm54687 said:

also, make sure to download the app before you get on the ship (or leave the dock). It requires a data plan and internet access to download and you won't have that once on the ship and at sea.  The app uses the ship's intranet so no additional costs other than the one time fee per device. You "opt in" to the text /call feature in the app once onboard connected to the ship's intranet 

You can also review your cruise information the minute you download the app (the free part) 

Thanks again and I don't mean to be a pest.   I downloaded the APP and signed in and see my cruise details, but dont see anywhere to go to texting or that stuff. Does that happen once connected to ships internet?  

6 minutes ago, teach/2/cruise said:

Thanks again and I don't mean to be a pest.   I downloaded the APP and signed in and see my cruise details, but dont see anywhere to go to texting or that stuff. Does that happen once connected to ships internet?  

"You "opt in" to the text /call feature in the app once onboard connected to the ship's intranet"

23 minutes ago, esm54687 said:

"You "opt in" to the text /call feature in the app once onboard connected to the ship's intranet"

thank you esm54687 , that is what I thought but wanted to make sure.  We are getting excited for our cruise.  There are 28 of us going to celebrate my Sisters and Brother in Laws 50th anniversary.  One massive party.  LOL