Private Pilots and Airplane Rentals

UUNetBill

So a search of CC didn't turn up anything useful that I could find...I'm wondering if we have any private pilots in here, and if so has anyone ever rented an aircraft for a quick flight while on a cruise?  Caribbean or Mediterranean, maybe?  I'd be interested in hearing about pros/cons/pitfalls, etc.

Thanks!

7 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

So a search of CC didn't turn up anything useful that I could find...I'm wondering if we have any private pilots in here, and if so has anyone ever rented an aircraft for a quick flight while on a cruise?  Caribbean or Mediterranean, maybe?  I'd be interested in hearing about pros/cons/pitfalls, etc.

Thanks!

Only on the Big Island on a couple of trips to fly over the volcano. A full checkout for a solo flight being impractical, I opted to just buy a couple of hours of another CFI’s time. 

I explored doing so once in Japan some years back but was imediately dissuaded by the high cost of doing so. I contacted AOPA seeking advice about this particular adventure. It was their pilot services group who put me in touch with an AOPA representative in Japan. 

AOPA might be a resource for you for a European adventure. 

There are many EAA ( experimental aircraft association) chapters around the world. Many folks will give rides for the cost of fuel. I have given rides to people from Austria,Germany and Italy. Got a ride in Iceland from a member. Don,t let the word experimental scare you. I have a Vans Rv6 and there are over 10k flying worldwide.

862EB5FF-C2CE-45D3-B3AC-6746997D4152.jpeg

Edited by rvmike

1 hour ago, rvmike said:

There are many EAA ( experimental aircraft association) chapters around the world. Many folks will give rides for the cost of fuel. I have given rides to people from Austria,Germany and Italy. Got a ride in Iceland from a member. Don,t let the word experimental scare you. I have a Vans Rv6 and there are over 10k flying worldwide.

862EB5FF-C2CE-45D3-B3AC-6746997D4152.jpeg

VERY cool aircraft!!

Thanks, cruises at 200 and is good for +/- 6g’s about 5-6 hundred range depending on the wind. Been to Baja many times and of course Oshkosh. Been in the air for22years now.3years to build in the garage, have a great wife!

Edited by rvmike

59 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

rvmike - I just went to a meeting of the local EAA chapter last week and it seems like EVERYONE had an RV or one model or another.  I'm still at the renting stage now, but ya never know...

RVs are available to rent where you live? COOL!! Sign me up. 

Experimental can’be rented. There are so many now there are always some for sale. One like mine can be had between 50-60k. A certified airplane with the same spec’ as mine would cost around 250k. Barnstormers always has them if curious,

On 4/5/2019 at 4:19 PM, Ep010835 said:

RVs are available to rent where you live? COOL!! Sign me up. 

On 4/6/2019 at 10:29 AM, rvmike said:

Experimental can’be rented. There are so many now there are always some for sale. One like mine can be had between 50-60k. A certified airplane with the same spec’ as mine would cost around 250k. Barnstormers always has them if curious,

No, sorry if I didn't come across clearly - unfortunately, no, there are no RVs for rent - these guys were all at the EAA meeting and most were building or had built one (or more).  Our local rental fleet is pretty much 172, 152, and some Pipers and Diamonds.

2 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

No, sorry if I didn't come across clearly - unfortunately, no, there are no RVs for rent - these guys were all at the EAA meeting and most were building or had built one (or more).  Our local rental fleet is pretty much 172, 152, and some Pipers and Diamonds.

Mine too (KAFW).  I have never been able to convince myself to spend the money to buy one. And I have enough sense to know that I would never, ever fly anything that I’ve built! 

There are many class’s that teach the basics Of building. 80% flying are first time builder’s . My Rv6 has 76 bolts holding the wings on, a Cessna has 8. A friend ferried new Cessna’s from the factory to different dealers, did a pre flight and the Controls were connected wrong. I also have a Winnebago motorhome. A friend lives in Boise and in the airplane it takes me 5 hrs total Including one fuel stop. The MH would be 2-3 days plus campground fee’s and 4 times the gas. SoCal to Boise was a total of 39 gallons.

Edited by rvmike

16 minutes ago, rvmike said:

There are many class’s that teach the basics Of building. 80% flying are first time builder’s . My Rv6 has 76 bolts holding the wings on, a Cessna has 8. A friend ferried new Cessna’s from the factory to different dealers, did a pre flight and the Controls were connected wrong. I also have a Winnebago motorhome. A friend lives in Boise and in the airplane it takes me 5 hrs total Including one fuel stop. The MH would be 2-3 days plus campground fee’s and 4 times the gas. SoCal to Boise was a total of 39 gallons.

I have no qualms whatsoever with the airplane. 

My concern is with the builder (me!). I can see me now at completion, a puzzled look on my face and wondering where all those left over parts should have gone. 

• Haha 1

When you start building you will become a member of an EAA Chapter. Your airplane will be looked at by multiple people who have built before and finally the FAA inspector. If anything is found wrong they will not issue a certificate.

Most build at home, I have a standard 2car garage and my wife’s Miata went inside every night. Finally assemble is done at the airport.  There are a bunch of RV’s in Texas, go to a local airport and the owners will tell you more than you want to hear.

Edited by rvmike

On 4/8/2019 at 6:54 PM, Ep010835 said:

Mine too (KAFW).  I have never been able to convince myself to spend the money to buy one. And I have enough sense to know that I would never, ever fly anything that I’ve built! 

7 minutes ago, rvmike said:

Most build at home, I have a standard 2car garage and my wife’s Miata went inside every night. Finally assemble is done at the airport.  There are a bunch of RV’s in Texas, go to a local airport and the owners will tell you more than you want to hear.

There are quite a few options, I'm finding out - one guy in my ground school has already bought a 172 and he's leasing it back to the school.  We haven't discussed numbers and I'm sure he's still showing a loss, but probably much less of a loss than outright ownership!  Lots of people here are doing fractionals and other shares but I'm still new enough to know that aviation is even more of a wallet killer than boats...so renting is all that's in my immediate future.

But building does have it's appeal, I guess - you can get a LOT of airplane for the money, but as I've gotten older I've found it easier to write checks than to turn wrenches.  I'm sure there's a lot of satisfaction in building your own, but at this point in my life I'd rather just fly than build...

With all respect, experimental airplanes are much less than boats. That’s how I retired at 50, fixing others boats and here in Ca. It is a year long season. Insurance on my airplane with a value of 60k is $600 year, hanger is $350 or $75 a month if I keep it outside.Hourly operating costs is 65hr based on 150 hrs a year.Since I built it I can do ALL maintenance and sign the log books vrs. Paying a mechanic $80-110 per hour.Building is not for everyone and if you have a fat wallet go certified. Lease backs and fractional work for some folks but just like a rental car I don’t worry who used it last and I don’t worry about scheduling my own airplane.