Rookie mistake from NCL first time cruiser. Studio/Balcony suite

YANKEES75

Agree, It is the only way to go if you are price sensitive and want to avoid overpaying when the cabin dumping begins,

Easter Caribbean cruise from MIA, 7-day currently on sail for $399 sail away interior, $499 for pick your room interior plus one perk marketed as free.

Should be some early season discounts to Bermuda and Canada from NY and Boston too.

Edited by blcruising

OP- did you currently have a promo with your studio? Was the balcony a sailaway rate vs. a normal one?- Do not fret yet-

Check back 7-10 days before and  see what a Balcony is for 1 person.

On 3 times  (last one being for the Escape last  May)- I called 8 days before sailing an updated to a Balcony ( non sailaway) for $50 more and picked up a second promo.

Note that this would work if there is still space on your sailing- so I would wait until around a week or so before.

So something similar happened to me last year on the Escape.  I booked the studio cabin with my NCL PCC and I specifically asked him if the price went down for a inside or balcony cabin would I be able to upgrade.  He said yes no problem.  Well it was a problem when I noticed that the balcony cabins were just $100 hundred dollars more than what I paid for my studio cabin.  I called him to see about upgrading and he said it would be an additional $700.  I asked why and he said that I booked under the "solo cruiser discount".  And since those cabins are meant for two or more people I had to pay double.  Long story short I stayed in my studio cabin but will never book the "solo cruiser discount" again. 

On 4/6/2019 at 11:12 AM, YANKEES75 said:

I apologize to not have been clearer. How I understand it. A double occupancy balcony suite is only $30 more than a a solo suite. 

Yes. I’m cruising on my birthday 4/28. 

Your problem is you paid final payment so they won't let you change it.  But if you have a bid for an upgrade option when you log into "My NCL" onm NCL dot com, you could bid for the room.  That may cost you more though.  

3 hours ago, Cmdr Cody said:

Your problem is you paid final payment so they won't let you change it.  But if you have a bid for an upgrade option when you log into "My NCL" onm NCL dot com, you could bid for the room.  That may cost you more though.  

I was told that you can't bid if you are in a studio cabin. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, YANKEES75 said:

Yes. I just mentioned the dramatic price drop. They offered complimentary balcony upgrade. Already, received a room number; 14116. 

Wow, good for you.  I guess in my situation there wasn't a dramatic price drop as I was willing to pay to upgrade to a balcony from the studio.  However, on my TA cruise on the Epic on Saturday I did get a free upgrade from a balcony to a mini suite as the mini suites were hundreds of dollars cheaper than what I paid for my original balcony cabin.  You will love the balcony.  Hope you have a great cruise.

• Thanks 1