Rookie mistake from NCL first time cruiser. Studio/Balcony suite

YANKEES75

Like anyone, I hate the feeling like I was duped. Quick summary, I purchased the studio room, but recently realized that the Balcony suite is only $30 more. I rather have a bigger room and balcony. Spoke with NCL. They are unable to switch my room and I’m not able to upgrade. 😡

13 minutes ago, YANKEES75 said:

Like anyone, I hate the feeling like I was duped. Quick summary, I purchased the studio room, but recently realized that the Balcony suite is only $30 more. I rather have a bigger room and balcony. Spoke with NCL. They are unable to switch my room and I’m not able to upgrade. 😡

As FLcruisergrl suggested, but to be a bit more clear, is the pricing you saw for the "balcony..." a PER PERSON rate?  If so, then traveling as a solo/single would cost you twice that.

That's a major advantage of the accommodations that are intended for only one person.

GC

21 minutes ago, YANKEES75 said:

I suspect(as everyone else is saying) your looking at the price pp for 2 - it would be almost double for one person.. If not cant you just cancel and rebook

5 minutes ago, ighten said:

I suspect(as everyone else is saying) your looking at the price pp for 2 - it would be almost double for one person.. If not cant you just cancel and rebook

Looks like OP has booked the Escape to Bermuda on 28 April.  Balconies have a steep one-person discount and the lowest rank with Free at Sea is just a few bucks more than a Studio.  The Sailaway balconies are a hundred bucks or so under a Studio -- that is for one person sailing!  op is right -- pays to study before booking sometimes.   OP -- the Studios are nice and you will enjoy yours regardless.

Edited by FLAHAM

Why have you been duped?

Did you not select the room you wanted at the rate you were willing to pay?

What was the solo price on the balcony when you booked? Was it only thirty dollars more than the studio at that point?  Why didn't you book it at that point?

If not, and  you feel you are being "duped" because the balcony room may now be on "sale" and the price is only for new bookings (now after final payment date and close to sailing), you need to realize that many cruise lines are cracking down on the fare "churning" game and the refusal to switch rooms, upgrade (or obtain on board credit)  is becoming a standard policy for the different lines.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, YANKEES75 said:

I apologize to not have been clearer. How I understand it. A double occupancy balcony suite is only $30 more than a a solo suite. 

Yes. I’m cruising on my birthday 4/28. 

You should have a great time, and Happy Birthday!

Don't fret.

Keep in mind that IF you had waited, hoping for a special sale price such as what you are seeing, you would have run the real risk that there would be no such sale.

Worse... the studios may have sold out.

As with anything that "might go on sale", it's a trade off between buying "now at current price" vs. "hoping for a sale, and also hoping they don't sell out entirely" - or, in some cases RAISE the price due to limited availability.

As Homosassa mentioned, you did find a "good deal" with that studio, and it was a price you were comfortable with.

Not all lines even have such a thing, which makes it difficult for solo passengers to find a decent price, unless there is a sale, which might be only last minute.  (In that case, for many it would be difficult to arrange vacation time, or even get a good price on air fares, etc.)

Enjoy!

GC

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, YANKEES75 said:

I apologize to not have been clearer. How I understand it. A double occupancy balcony suite is only $30 more than a a solo suite. 

Yes. I’m cruising on my birthday 4/28. 

There is a difference between a balcony and a suite.

2 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

There is a difference between a balcony and a suite.

The "difference" is between a "suite" and a "cabin".

There are suites without a balcony.  There may not be many, but they exist, with full suite services, and nice size.

Saying "There is a difference between a balcony and a suite" is a bit like saying "There is a difference between a cabin and an ocean view [or inside]".

Some cabins have ocean views [or are inside].  Some suites have balconies. The fact that *most* suites have balconies isn't relevant to the "cabin/suite" distinction, which is far more than whether there is a balcony.

GC

No one can predict the future.    And most people want/need their travel plans in advance.    With waiting for any "sale".   You would have had to been,   flexible and totally accepting of NOT going.    You agreed to the cancellation terms of your booking. 

I'd assume,  you booked at a rate you were comfortable with on the ship and date you wanted?    

Have a wonderful cruise on your birthday.   Bermuda is a wonderful opportunity for touring.   NCL had their own ferry to St. George last season-    which was FREE.    I can spend a whole day there.    Otherwise,  cheap bus tokens work perfectly getting where you want to go.    

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

The "difference" is between a "suite" and a "cabin".

There are suites without a balcony.  There may not be many, but they exist, with full suite services, and nice size.

Saying "There is a difference between a balcony and a suite" is a bit like saying "There is a difference between a cabin and an ocean view [or inside]".

Some cabins have ocean views [or are inside].  Some suites have balconies. The fact that *most* suites have balconies isn't relevant to the "cabin/suite" distinction, which is far more than whether there is a balcony.

GC

OK....I’m curious.  Where are the suites without balconies.  The only cruise lines I’m aware of that have suites without balconies are MSC Yacht Club Inside Suites.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

OK....I’m curious.  Where are the suites without balconies.  The only cruise lines I’m aware of that have suites without balconies are MSC Yacht Club Inside Suites.

Family suites on the Star and Dawn...... they also have family suites with balcony on those ships.    We've stayed in both versions on the Star and really enjoyed the huge window wall (old observation lounge location).

OK.....didn’t know he was sailing on an older ship.  I also assumed he was on a nwere ship since he said he was in an “solo” cabin, which they only have on the newer ships.

Interesting to know about the Star and the Dawn!

33 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

On the NCL Dawn, there are Family Suites with balconies, and some just about the same, but without balconies.  And there are 4 Deluxe Owners Suites right above the Bridge that have no balcony.  Absolutely amazing views!  (Similar view as on the Sun, in the OS, but those are better, and also have *huge* balconies, and private hot tubs.)

I can't speak for whether there are any like these on other NCL ships, but obviously they are possible, and NCL is indeed able to do them.

As for the 2BR suites on the Jewel class ships (don't know about other ships), that balcony is so small it almost might as well not be there.  For a luxurious large suite - and especially those in the Haven - those balconies are almost pathetic.  But yes, the fresh air is nice :classic_smile:

GC

I booked online. Yesterday, the NCL rep called to check in with me. He told me for 30 more dollars I could had a double occupancy balcony suite. 

Thanks for all the info.

I’m very excited about the trip. I was in Bermuda years ago. It’s going to be great to just “Escape” for a week. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, YANKEES75 said:

I booked online. Yesterday, the NCL rep called to check in with me. He told me for 30 more dollars I could had a double occupancy balcony suite. 

Thanks for all the info.

I’m very excited about the trip. I was in Bermuda years ago. It’s going to be great to just “Escape” for a week. 

That's rather odd, and not particularly friendly/helpful, to have told you "Gee, you *could* have had xyz, but too bad!!" ??

But you really should have a terrific time, on the ship, and on Bermuda, too.

GC

Sorry to hear about this. I'd feel the same way if I were you. There have been multiple reports of disappointment with this "cabin dumping" within 30 days of sailing to sell all the inventory they couldn't sell at their outrageous advance prices.

Lesson learned. If you are able to travel last minute and don't have a particular room location requirement, you will get amazing deals by booking last minute. Have a wonderful cruise!

20 minutes ago, blcruising said:

Sorry to hear about this. I'd feel the same way if I were you. There have been multiple reports of disappointment with this "cabin dumping" within 30 days of sailing to sell all the inventory they couldn't sell at their outrageous advance prices.

Lesson learned. If you are able to travel last minute and don't have a particular room location requirement, you will get amazing deals by booking last minute. Have a wonderful cruise!

Or for popular sailings, prices can go up or cabins sold out. 

6 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Or for popular sailings, prices can go up or cabins sold out. 

Yes, I should have added the need to be very flexible with last minute bookings. Need to expect disappointments, too. If flexible, you have a great opportunity to cruise cheaply.

April to Bermuda, not so popular as evidenced by the price drops.

Edited by blcruising

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

The Norwegian Joy has quite a few interior suites, and concierge class interior suites in her original configuration. But she was also lacking studio cabins, I’m not sure whether this is changing in the refit as the last deck plans I saw still showed the original cabin configurations. 

4 hours ago, graphicguy said:

On some of the ships there is a family suite without a balcony but a big window.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kjquilts said:

Family suites on the Star and Dawn...... they also have family suites with balcony on those ships.    We've stayed in both versions on the Star and really enjoyed the huge window wall (old observation lounge location).

There is also the Concierge Class on Joy which have suite "lite" perks.  We are booked in a two bedroom family inside concierge class stateroom.

Edited by sparkygirlfamily

17 hours ago, blcruising said:

Yes, I should have added the need to be very flexible with last minute bookings. Need to expect disappointments, too. If flexible, you have a great opportunity to cruise cheaply.

April to Bermuda, not so popular as evidenced by the price drops.

I need to try this. I usually plan ahead but I live 15 mins from the NYC port and my job is very flexible. I never thought that i'd be able to sail alone in a balcony for cheap. Only reason I haven't looked into it is because I didn't have any friends or family who are as flexible as I am.