NYC Carnival port/ handicap check in

pohlerbear

Cruising on the Sunrise out of NYC in June. My BIL has mobility issues. He has a walker with seat for around the ship but will need a wheelchair to get up the ramps.  My sister has called Carnival and they advised her not to get FTTF, that Carnival would assist them getting on the ship. 

I got FTTF for our room. If we all arrive at the same time, will we board roughly the same time? They have the earliest check in time. Not sure how that factors with handicapped assistance. Any other insight regarding handicapped assisted boarding would be appreciated. I've cruised many times but never with someone with mobility issues. Thanks in advance 

Those needing assistance boarding are no longer afforded priority check-in and boarding privilege.  Assistance will be provided in a staggered manner consistent with check-in.  

If you all arrive at the same time, you will likely board together given availability of staff to provide assistance.

Edited by KevInPitt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pohlerbear said:

Cruising on the Sunrise out of NYC in June. My BIL has mobility issues. He has a walker with seat for around the ship but will need a wheelchair to get up the ramps.  My sister has called Carnival and they advised her not to get FTTF, that Carnival would assist them getting on the ship. 

I got FTTF for our room. If we all arrive at the same time, will we board roughly the same time? They have the earliest check in time. Not sure how that factors with handicapped assistance. Any other insight regarding handicapped assisted boarding would be appreciated. I've cruised many times but never with someone with mobility issues. Thanks in advance 

Carnival will provide physical assistance to get onto the ship.  They do not provide priority assistance.  His room will not be ready.  

2 hours ago, pohlerbear said:

Hi

Has your BIL cruised before? For normal mobility he obviously can manage with a walker but going on cruises isn't typical for most people. What I am getting at is, he might consider renting a wheelchair for the trip. Pretty much anything you do the ship requires walking to, and it is rarely short distances. If he gets tired because of his mobility issue, or if it starts to cause pain, he should have a wheelchair available. Have you considered what you will be doing for your ports of call? Unless he was planning on staying on the ship the entire time, there would be lots of walking...just to get out of the port areas. If you or your sister are able to help him if he needs, he would be in a much better position. If neither you or your sister would be able to help push him if he needed, then I would suggest renting a mobility scooter. This would restrict what type of excursions you might consider, but would give him complete mobility on the ship and in the port areas. With a standard folding wheelchair he would be able to join most any excursion. 

If you all get there at their check in time you will likely be boarding close together. As mentioned, their cabin won't be ready, but yours will be ready.

have a great cruise

• Like 1