Auckland Embarkation - Celebrity Solstice 2019

While preparing for our March 29, 2019 cruise on Celebrity Solstice out of Auckland, I found little information about the embarkation on these boards.  so I am now going to Pay it Forward for future cruisers.

Celebrity Solstice docks right in Auckland CBD using the pier adjacent to the Hilton Auckland (where we stayed on points).  About 2 weeks in advance of our cruise (and several times afterwards), we received an email from Celebrity telling us that we would be embarking by groups and laying out the time slots for each group (Aqua, Suites, Concierge, etc.).  We were AquaClass and were assigned the first time slot (11:30 a.m.).

On the day of embarkation, it was chaotic around the Hilton as passengers were disembarking and grabbing cabs, tours, etc.  We had been told that we could probably check our bags in early and then go off to explore more of Auckland.  This was true.  The port authority has a great ambassador system as there were many workers around the pier willing to help.  We were led to a somewhat hard to find area where several port workers were accepting luggage.  We dropped all of our items off (being sure to keep our paperwork and passports with us for check in) and went off to the Auckland Museum.  

We arrived back at the port around 1:30 p.m. and joined the queue for checkin.  While it looked chaotic, Celebrity had the process well-oiled and we were checked in and onboard in less than 15 minutes.  It clearly didn't make a difference that we checked in after our proscribed check in time.  And our suitcases were waiting for us outside of our stateroom.

It was odd to embark right into the Martini Bar but Deck 4 has often been used for the Gangway on this cruise.

Happy to answer questions now or later.

• Thanks 1

Looks like we got off as you got on.  I wasn't looking forward to getting on and off at Princess Wharf but it was organised chaos. We were on in less then 15 minutes when we got there about 1.  I can also recommend the discount taxis we found at the wharf ($40NZ for cash to the airport) and not recommend super shuttle.  

Hope you and the rest on board are healthy - a lot on our cruise got sick either on the ship or as we got off.  Over half our facebook group came home sick.  I'm on my second lot of antibiotics and still not 100% - and I never get sick so it must be something bad.

• 3 months later...