plan ahead or wait for a bargain

My husband and I have decided we want to take our kids and grandkids on an Alaska cruise in June 2020 and of course want to save all we can.  i've started looking around and checked the prices as if we were going THIS year instead and see some pretty good prices. Can anyone advise whether it is safe to wait until next spring to book 3 rooms for 11 people or can I get good prices now if I deal with the cruiseline? I've thought about putting a deposit down now and cancelling if I find a better deal next spring.  We've cruised alot but never with all these people so I don't want to mess it up and end up paying twice what I need to. 

On 4/7/2019 at 3:42 PM, elganpat said:

My husband and I have decided we want to take our kids and grandkids on an Alaska cruise in June 2020 and of course want to save all we can.  i've started looking around and checked the prices as if we were going THIS year instead and see some pretty good prices. Can anyone advise whether it is safe to wait until next spring to book 3 rooms for 11 people or can I get good prices now if I deal with the cruiseline? I've thought about putting a deposit down now and cancelling if I find a better deal next spring.  We've cruised alot but never with all these people so I don't want to mess it up and end up paying twice what I need to. 

We travel Sailaway (guarantee, not select) on most cruises but only require ONE cabin. If you wait for the best bargains, price wise, you'll risk getting very separate cabin assignments, even on different floors. It's a gamble with such popular destinations as Alaska. I would book early with your choice of cabins; you can cancel up to final payment if you want to roll the dice. I personally wouldn't. Good luck and have a wonderful family cruise!

I wouldn't wait when booking for that many people. Especially if you have a set date and destination in mind. We'll occasionally do a last minute cruise but it's mostly just to get away from the snow, so we don't care where or when we go 🙂

Have to agree with the others that with the schedules of 11 people to consider , it won't work to take the wait and see approach . Having said that , for multiple reasons balcony cabins for Alaskan cruises carry a huge premium over OV and insides . Frankly 11 people in 3 cabins is very tight . I would certainly investigate the pricing on one or two extra inside cabins . These can usually be booked directly across the hall from balcony or OV's  . It may seem nuts but 3 balcony cabins will most likely be more money then 5 lesser cabins .