Santorini Sunset view from cruise ship??

fishman620

We will be in Santorini (tender) on the NCL Star on Saturday, May 18th, from 2 p.m.-10 p.m.  Sunset is @ 8:20 that day.  I was wondering if we will be able to see the sunset aboard the cruise ship.  We are taking a ship excursion to Oia from 3 p.m.- 6 p.m., being dropped off at the cable car in Fira at the end of the tour.  If we can view the sunset from our ship, we would just get in line for the cable car after the tour ended.  But will we be missing the sunset by doing this?  Or should we just make a reservation at a restaurant or taverna in Fira (close to the cable car) to watch the sunset?  Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

How much time do you have? 

Absolutely you can view the sunset from the ship and the colours are stunning.  But you are also nearly 1,000 feet lower than you would be in Fira.  The sea in the caldera is - predictably - sea level.  You are in the crater of an ancient volcano with mountains forming bits and pieces of the lip.  The classic view - and all the postcards - are in fact from Oya.  But the view from Santorini - and from the ship - is astounding but different.  If you have the time - and the inclination for crowds - the view from Fira is stunning.  But every decent view point will be crowded - and the cable car to get back down will have massive queues.

I love Fira.  Its a favourite place.  Would I fight the cruise queues to see the sunset - no.  If you are overnight or very late - the view is better from Oya. Otherwise enjoy a fabulous display of nature from the sunset lounge with a cocktail!

• Thanks 1

One of our favorite sunsets, ever, was years ago while we were sitting in the hot tub on a high deck of the old Star Princess as we sat in the Caldara.  But the spectacular view was not looking West towards the sunset, but looking East at the cliffs/hills of Santorini as the sun reflected off the geography of the island.  It was truly fantastic, especially as we looked over towards Oia.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1