Dairy Free Advice

MrsTabs

Hi I have 'accidentally' booked another cruise 🙂

Long way off (  March 2021) Panama Canal on the Encore - our grown up kids will be with us and our daughter has a dairy allergy - what is the best way to approach this so she has a full experience food and drink wise onboard??

She is more than capable of managing day to day but what about when we eat in specialty restaurants?  Who and when are the best to contact?  Anyone else have experiences onboard they can share?

Many thanks in advance

You will contact the special needs desk ahead of time, they will meet with her onboard and give her a phone number to call when she’s heading out to a meal. Her food that she has preordered will be delivered to your table (even in the buffet). She can also ask about specific dishes and if they are dairy free. Dd has celiac and loves cruisin* because she has so many option eating in a restaurant that she doesn’t on land.

2 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

You will contact the special needs desk ahead of time, they will meet with her onboard and give her a phone number to call when she’s heading out to a meal. Her food that she has preordered will be delivered to your table (even in the buffet). She can also ask about specific dishes and if they are dairy free. Dd has celiac and loves cruisin* because she has so many option eating in a restaurant that she doesn’t on land.

wow that is great info thanks so much - I will make sure to contact them

The access desk is wonderful. One cruise the matre d brought the next days menu and took our order to ensure my friends needs were met. They did this every night. Would deliver food whenever wherever she chose to eat. I was impressed 

This is just a very personal observation: I have a severe egg allergy. At my age, I know what to eat and what to avoid. I have made one error in 40+ years and lived to talk about it.  With that said, my personal preference is to manage my own eating. I have an intense dislike for having someone “review my dining options” with me. My DH accidentally mentioned to a waiter in the Haven restaurant that I was allergic and it was all very dramatic from there on. 

Just my thought about leaving it to the adult to decide how much fuss she wants to make about her dairy allergy. I mean this in the nicest way, and with all sincerity. 

5 minutes ago, LinnieRed said:

This is just a very personal observation: I have a severe egg allergy. At my age, I know what to eat and what to avoid. I have made one error in 40+ years and lived to talk about it.  With that said, my personal preference is to manage my own eating. I have an intense dislike for having someone “review my dining options” with me. My DH accidentally mentioned to a waiter in the Haven restaurant that I was allergic and it was all very dramatic from there on. 

Just my thought about leaving it to the adult to decide how much fuss she wants to make about her dairy allergy. I mean this in the nicest way, and with all sincerity. 

appreciate where you are coming from - she will be doing all that is necessary trust me - she is after all an adult - just wanted reassurance she had options - I will pass them on and then it is all up to her

• Like 1

If you have a true allergy I don’t recommend going it on your own.  Food allergens can be hidden, plus it’s much easier on the staff, and you, if you alert them ahead of time.  You don’t want to have an allergic reaction at sea.  JMHO. 

So, i am dairy allergic; dh and i have cruised alot on NCL (and elsewhere).  I do not go the special needs desk route, since I don’t want to select my food a day + in advance and I’m fairly knowledgeable about what does/doesn’t typically have problems.  

That said I let my waitperson know my allergy, what causes problems and what doesn’t (for some reason many people assume dairy allergy = eggs).  We discuss what I would like to order and she/he checks with the kitchen and if necessary I change my order.  This has worked for me - I’ve never had a problem.