Debarking in Dublin

We are scheduled to Debark in Dublin on 28 September at 7:00am "subject to tidal conditions."   For those of you who have cruised into Dublin, how often is arrival in Dublin delayed and when there is a delay due to tidal conditions, as a general rule how long is the delay?  We're interested in booking a 10:45am flight from DUB to LHR.  

Cutting it fine to catch a 10.45 am fight, it’s doable but only if all the stars align. (Tide, Traffic, Dockworkers Go-Slo etc)

Pity to ruin a nice cruise by feeling rushed.🤔

Are you heading back to LAX ?

I see that Aer Lingus has a direct 11 hour flight in their A330, DUB - LAX departing at 2.55pm on September 28. 

Review of their Business Class here https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/aer-lingus-a330-business-review/

AE392178-D39C-4C7D-B654-E1487B899A35.thumb.jpeg.2a03b4966a51cee93303761a1ae0044f.jpeg

On 4/9/2019 at 2:33 PM, toseaornottosea said:

We are scheduled to Debark in Dublin on 28 September

I was wondering what you were going to “debark”. Is it your own dog or one you have rented?  Then I read the response from SKP946 who indicated that you would be “Cutting it fine to catch a 10.45 am fight”.  Was this to be a fist fight or maybe a dog fight?  My mind finally realized that you are actually going to disembark and were looking to catch a flight. Just one of my senior moments 😉

10:45 would be too tight for my comfort.  Last year from Southampton we had an 11:55 departure and figured we’d walk off the ship around 7, get our luggage, 90 minutes to LHR, plenty of time.  We did not count on our luggage being delayed (they got a late start taking it off the ship) and it took 45 minutes.  We made the flight okay but the 2 hours, 15 minutes we had in LHR did not allow for much breathing room! This year we’ll be disembarking in Southampton again and we booked the 2:55!  So it’s always a good idea to walk off with your luggage if time is tight!

12 hours ago, Dusko said:

I was wondering what you were going to “debark”. Is it your own dog or one you have rented?  Then I read the response from SKP946 who indicated that you would be “Cutting it fine to catch a 10.45 am fight”.  Was this to be a fist fight or maybe a dog fight?  My mind finally realized that you are actually going to disembark and were looking to catch a flight. Just one of my senior moments 😉

Ditto   !!!   As you" Embark" how is it that this word "debark" has appeared in the English language except where it applies to an operation on a dog's vocal cords?

Edited by Jay23
  • Like 1

Some of us are not as intelligent as others but if you have enough intelligence and have the ability to do a little research you might actually learn something.

The website Grammarist has the following definition of debark:

To debark is to disembark, which is to get off of an airplane or ship or other mode of transportation. Both can also be the act of removing someone or something from the same vessels. Both have noun forms of debarkation and disembarkation, which refer to the location the person debarked at.

And...

The dictionary definition of the "verb" debark with respect to a ship or aircraft is as follows:

de·bark1
/dēˈbärk/
verb

1. leave a ship or aircraft.
    "we debarked from our cruise ship for a day of fun"
    • unload (cargo or troops) from a ship or aircraft.

• Like 1

😁   I now find from the Oxford English dictionary that Debark does in fact mean leaving a ship and doesn't have anything to do with Dogs.........     🤔   With apologies.   J

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2019 at 5:33 PM, toseaornottosea said:

We are scheduled to Debark in Dublin on 28 September at 7:00am "subject to tidal conditions."   For those of you who have cruised into Dublin, how often is arrival in Dublin delayed and when there is a delay due to tidal conditions, as a general rule how long is the delay?  We're interested in booking a 10:45am flight from DUB to LHR.  

The published debarkation time of 7:00am is the standard time Seabourn almost always uses. However, all cruise ships have to be cleared by local customs and immigration so it's usually 8am before the first passengers can get leave the ship (in our experience).   DUB to LHR flights are every 2 hours so I might consider the 1pm flight.

On 4/17/2019 at 10:37 PM, toseaornottosea said:

Some of us are not as intelligent as others but if you have enough intelligence and have the ability to do a little research you might actually learn something.

The website Grammarist has the following definition of debark:

To debark is to disembark, which is to get off of an airplane or ship or other mode of transportation. Both can also be the act of removing someone or something from the same vessels. Both have noun forms of debarkation and disembarkation, which refer to the location the person debarked at.

And...

The dictionary definition of the "verb" debark with respect to a ship or aircraft is as follows:

de·bark1
/dēˈbärk/
verb

1. leave a ship or aircraft.
    "we debarked from our cruise ship for a day of fun"
    • unload (cargo or troops) from a ship or aircraft.

I read this today on the back of  the Seabourn luggage labels, (note “debark”underlined in red)

2F636699-6A1C-4484-9E0B-E0D750BAC796.jpeg

Edited by SKP946

I would have thought the wink emoji at the end of my original post would have provided a clue but obviously not. 

[ˈ(h)yo͞omərəs]

ADJECTIVE
  1. causing lighthearted laughter and amusement; comic.
    "a humorous and entertaining talk"
    synonyms:
    amusing · funny · entertaining · comic · comical · chucklesome · diverting · witty · jocular · lighthearted · tongue-in-cheek · wry ·