Bit ot Cruise Passengers threaten Mutiny

BettyBoop3850

Do they realise that just the threat of mutiny on the high seas will negate any compensation these people might receive. I know there will be disappointments, but these people will be in for a big heap of doo doo for any type of threats of this type.

All bit silly really. They've been very well compensated. Just some more "yellow" journalism.

Passenger contract states all the cruiseline has to do is provide x amount of days as specified in the booking.

Furthermore, had they left the ship in Ft Lauderdale, they would have been entitled to zip, nada, nothing.

Refuse to get off the ship in Rio... LOL.... better under their own steam.... than via Brazilian authorities.

50% for missing 3 ports on a mechanical problem? Dang, I'd take it in a heartbeat. Wonder if the ship would "put off" these passengers early since they could possibly considered a threat to the ships crew/passengers safety? I know they dont want more bad publicity, but staging a protest on the ship could get nasty, why take the chance with a couple troublemakers? I like the comment about a full refund too. Get real.

I appreciate that Cunard is offering more than they technically have to for the lack of port stops on this cruise.

But it seems that when you plan for a week of cruising, including stopping in ports, not stopping in any ports would be a major problem. At least it would be for me, and I'm not so sure that I'd be happy with a 50% refund.

On the other hand, there is no way I'd participate in any type of "mutiny." I wonder what it is that they think they will accomplish.

:confused:

Susan

50% sounds about right. On the Millie this past November due to a two day delay we got 20% off, 2 free night stay at a 4 star hotel in Barcelona, frree ship transfers and a $200 cabin credit.

The cruise companies will do about anything to avoid bad press as they are getting now. Must be some real P.O. 'd guests on this ship.

Don

But it seems that when you plan for a week of cruising, including stopping in ports, not stopping in any ports would be a major problem. At least it would be for me, and I'm not so sure that I'd be happy with a 50% refund. On the other hand, there is no way I'd participate in any type of "mutiny." I wonder what it is that they think they will accomplish. :confused: Susan

Stuff Happens.... I think the compensation offer is more than generous. We missed two ports on our Zenith trip and got free drinks.... Maybe the Commodore should have tried that to avoid a mutiny ;)

In November of 2004 our Dawn Princess ship had ongoing engine problems that resulted in our missing 2 ports and having two other ports shortened to half days. For a 10 day cryise our compensation was $100 shipboard credit per person!! I am still angry at Princess and can't see myself sailing Princess any time soon, if ever again.

A 50% refund seems appropriate enough, though even if we would have recieved a 50% refund on our Princess ship we would still have been seriously disappointed, especially since the problem had nothing to do with weather but with the ship being broken.

I can't believe the cruiselines don't carry insurance to cover this type of problem in order to ease the financial lost due to this type of compensation need.

We have distance to the problem and I bet if it was our vacation we would be bitching tooo!! However I have to agree that Cunards offer is generous and those Passengers are possibly making a bad situation even worse. Somethimes it is better to go outside take a deep breath, grab the compensation and make the best of things - like enjoy your ship and relax!!!

I go on cruises to actually go to places. I would not want a cruise that just moves me. Cunard stuck these people on a ship. They have no other choice but to stay. I would not be satisfied with 50% either.

I have to agree. When I book a cruise the itinerary is a major factor. If they have to miss a port due to bad weather that might jeopardize the safety of the passengers that is one thing. If the ship has mechanical problems it's something else entirely. If the mechanical problems are of such a magnitude that the cruise itinerary has to be significantly altered then the passengers are not getting the cruise they paid for and should get full refunds.

What stupidity...proven by the fact that this group thought they might gain from this tactic.

If the word "mutiny" was spoken, they should have been locked up. You are not allowed to become an animal simply because you are unhappy. This type of action panics people and creates unrest all over the ship...isn't the US half way around the world fighting to stop people who rule with anger and force...people like this look good in hand cuffs.

"Look, I paid you my money, I got all the paperwork. No, I did not take time to read the contract that I entered into. No, I did not see the part about the ship having the right to alter, change, etc. Of course I am upset, but the current trend in society is to never accept anything but to blame, accuse, curse and demand.

Of course, I have no legal recourse but if I can get some news agency to write a horror story about my plight, I stand a good chance of getting more than I have any right to expect."

"Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you"

From reading those links, it looks like this was no 7 day cruise with missed ports. One article said something about 24-38 days. Hmm...I might go a bit stir crazy on the sea for that long :o.

Never saw the word mutiny used. Don't think I would be threatening, but I could see being very upset, especially if I could have had a choice of leaving at FLL and was never offered it. I am sure that cruise cost big bucks, so not quite sure what 50% might mean or what it might mean to someone who had been saving for a once in a lifetime trip. Just some thoughts.

The 50% refund was only offered to passengers that had booked the trip from NY or Fort Lauderdale to Rio which turned out to be nothing but a lot of days at sea without any ports. The passengers that signed on for a longer journey, up to 38 days were offered some sore of pro rata refund, not 50%.

The 50% refund was only offered to passengers that had booked the trip from NY or Fort Lauderdale to Rio which turned out to be nothing but a lot of days at sea without any ports. The passengers that signed on for a longer journey, up to 38 days were offered some sore of pro rata refund, not 50%.

So I guess that the food and entertainment and shipboard services that they received has no value and they should get all their money back. Where do I sign up for one of these cruises? Those who are staying on beyond Rio will possibly be able to visit other ports on their itinerary which makes a proportional refund reasonable. If they miss those ports as well, I suspect that Cunard will adjust that refund accordingly. I find it a shame that some people believe that cruiselines create these problems on purpose and want nothing more than to inconvenience their passengers. Stuff happens.

On the one hand I want to ask why this never happens to me! I LOVE extra sea days, even at the expense of a new port. :D And at 50% off, to boot!

That said, the LAST thing I would want is to be on a cruise where so many were disgruntled or angry. Even if it's not a majority of passengers, a vocal minority can really ruin a cruise. :( Whether happy or unhappy with the offer, it sounds as though the issue has taken over the cruise, even for those, like the passenger with the informative journal, who are still managing to do other things than protest. Not so much fun...

So maybe I'm still better off not having the problem that leads to the adequate/inadequate compensation offer.:rolleyes:

Oh well...

Andrew

All of the points made here all valid. Yes there was a contract and sure it would have been nice to have a choice of whether to stay or go in FLL. That said I tend to see things this way. When I board a ship or a plane I lose control of my destiny. It is that simple. Someone else is now in charge of my safety and where I will end up. I am not the driver, captain or pilot. Like it or not that is the bottom line. If you don't like it...stay home where you are in total control. While the offer sounds generous it would be a bummer to see nothing but water from FLL to Rio but I think I could content myself with this magnificent ship. I am one of those people that shops ship and not ports in many cases.

I appreciate that Cunard is offering more than they technically have to for the lack of port stops on this cruise.

But it seems that when you plan for a week of cruising, including stopping in ports, not stopping in any ports would be a major problem. At least it would be for me, and I'm not so sure that I'd be happy with a 50% refund.

On the other hand, there is no way I'd participate in any type of "mutiny." I wonder what it is that they think they will accomplish.

:confused:

Susan

If it were just one port I would be inclined to agree - but to miss that many ports just to make up time so they could continue on the next leg ( and may miss more ports- sounds reprehensible to me especially at the prices Cunard charges.

Mr. Christian - this is Mutiny I say

Strawberries - did someone say Strawberries??

That said, the LAST thing I would want is to be on a cruise where so many were disgruntled or angry. Even if it's not a majority of passengers, a vocal minority can really ruin a cruise. :( Whether happy or unhappy with the offer, it sounds as though the issue has taken over the cruise, even for those, like the passenger with the informative journal, who are still managing to do other things than protest. Not so much fun...

Andrew

I agree with you. There was a thread on one of the boards last Fall around the time of the hurricanes where someone mentioned that he was on a ship that was held over in FLL because it couldn't return to its home port which was being hit by the hurricane. The cruiseline eventually allowed those passengers, who were grumbling about being stuck on the ship for an extra period of time, to disembark in FLL instead of staying on until it returned to its home port. He said that the rest of his time on the ship was absolutely wonderful because he was surrounded by people who wanted to be there.:)

Archived