How do I get immediate notification of new posts in a Roll Call I follow?

I've read the how-to stickies on notifications, and done a search, but I can't seem to find the answer to this problem.   I am following a Roll Call, and would like to get immediate notifications (not daily or weekly emails) of new posts -- I assume the same kind of notice next to the bell icon I get when someone quotes one of my replies.  I have tried to set this up in Manage Followed Content, but I keep getting the following message when I want to select "a notification when new content is posted"

"You cannot use this option because you have not chosen how the notification should be sent. Notification Settings"

I have gone into Notification Settings and selected the option to receive "a notification when new content is posted" (rather than emails), but that has not helped. 

I must be missing something. Any help would be appreciated.   Thanks!!

Browser notifications only occur when you have a tab open to the site.

You should be able to get an immediate email when someone posts in the thread. Rather than use the Manage Followed Content, I'd suggest opening the thread and clicking on Follow. You can make the appropriate setting and also check your email settings in Notification Settings (see the lower portion of that form).

18 minutes ago, broberts said:

Browser notifications only occur when you have a tab open to the site.

Thanks, I appreciate your prompt assistance.

I should have been clearer: by immediate notification, I just meant when I have the CC site open (rather than emails). What I am trying to get in terms of a notification of new content on the Roll Call is the same notification I get when I open the CC site and someone has replied to one of my posts, or reacted to one of my posts: there's a red notification circle next to the bell icon.   (For various reasons, I don't want email notifications for this.)

Is it possible to get that type of notice next to the bell icon when there's new content on a Roll Call (or any thread) that I follow?  If so, how?  

I did open the Roll Call, clicked on Follow, got the drop down menu, but as I said above, it will not let me choose the option "a notification when new content is posted."  It claims I haven't said how I want that notice, and tells me to go to Notification Settings, which I've done, but there is nothing that seems to deal with this.

Thanks for any help.