Flying to West Coast Question

Ships R Great

I know the better times to schedule flights eastward but what about flying to the West Coast? We live in DC area. What is the best time to schedule flights to Los Angeles? Morning? Afternoon? Evening? We are spending night prior to Hawaii cruise. any suggestions?

Thanks, Patty

Whenever we cruise out of a west coast port, we fly out in the morning (on the day before) which gets us to the coast sometime around noon. That not only gives us the rest of the afternoon and evening to unwind, but it also allows for a good night's sleep.

By the way, you'll love the Hawaii cruise - it's wonderful!

Hi Patty: Since I live on the west coast I was wondering what your idea of a good flight that goes west to east. Now flying east to west I would think a morning flight and if you went non-stop which is ususally 5 1/2 hours and then you would gain 3 hrs because of time changes and that would put you in around noon to 1:00 p.m. Just a thought.

Marilyn

Earlier the better is always my motto when flying. You just never know when a storm could disrupt the air traffic flow. If you are there early enough, a lot of the times if weather causes problems the airline can reaccomodate you on another flight or airline.

Enjoy Hawaii.......someday I'll make it there.

I would definitely fly earlier since you are going in a day ahead. It will not only give you more time to rest before getting on your cruise the next day but should there be a last minute flight cancellation there will be other alternatives available for you to still get there. I would take the first flight available that day.

Keith

I always try to fly as early as possible in the morning. The lines are more manageable, there generally seems to be fewer delays except for weather related situations and it allows for a more calm mindset in case there are delays. Hope this helps. By the way, Hawaii is fabulous.

Aloha!

But don't you run into the business travelers, and longer lines at security? I know that at Atlanta which is our home airport, that the estmated times in security lines decreases after 9 a.m.

Parking is also a problem at the terminal unless you park (and reserve) off airport facilities where they'll shuttle you in to the terminal. I've seen "lot full" at all entrances in Atlanta, so learned to park off campus.

As it is, to catch a 9:15 flight to FLL (I know, we're talking about west coast flights, but they leave at that hour, too) we have to leave home at least by 5:30 a.m our time (central) to get to the parking place by 8ish. Even with pre-printing our boarding passes, because of security lines which are moving pretty well, we get to the departure gate with only minutes to spare before they start boarding.

an advantage in taking an early flight is that if for any reason your flight is cancelled, there should be another flight within a few hours where the airline can accommodate you.

Hi Patty: Since I live on the west coast I was wondering what your idea of a good flight that goes west to east. Now flying east to west I would think a morning flight and if you went non-stop which is ususally 5 1/2 hours and then you would gain 3 hrs because of time changes and that would put you in around noon to 1:00 p.m. Just a thought.

Marilyn

at a minimum........we always book a 7am flight going west to east.....normally coming back we dont get home till almost 10pm

hello,

Living in southern California, I agree with the other respondents that you should fly to California early in the morning. This will get you here by 1:00 PM or so.

Please let me know if you need any information on southern California. Suggest that you rent cars on each of the Hawaiian Islands that you visit.

Hope that you have a great cruise,

Fred

Thanks, everyone for the help. It seems we should book an early flight. We are going in October, I think on the Infinity. We'll book when we're on Zenith next month, then hope for a great deal with an online TA, that will make up for losing the onboard credit.

Thanks, everyone for the help. It seems we should book an early flight. We are going in October, I think on the Infinity. We'll book when we're on Zenith next month, then hope for a great deal with an online TA, that will make up for losing the onboard credit.

You only lose your onboard credit, if your agent books you into a group. Just transferring your booking to an agent doesn't take away your onboard credit.

Since group space previously blocked for 06 is being recalled Jan 27, you'll more than likely stay in FIT. Frankly there have been no bargains for October Hawaii. .. groups.. or otherwise.

Archived