A question about non-cruise travel

dreamer320

I hope it's okay to get some guidance from you regarding land vacations. I have a few different medical issues that make walking more than a few blocks difficult, and standing still more than a couple minutes also difficult. In regular, everyday life, I use a cane almost all the time, have and use a handicapped placard, and plan activities carefully around my abilities and energy. I recently took a business trip to Chicago, and used a wheelchair in the airport, and in a museum, because I knew both would be too much walking for me. We ubered a lot for short distances, and I unfortunately overdid it a couple of times.

We (dh and I) are planning a two-week trip to Belgium, with a couple of days trips elsewhere, and staying in probably four different cities/towns. I now know that it would be best to have a scooter or wheelchair available for longer bouts of sightseeing. I'm not at the point where I need this in my non-travel life, so I don't have this equipment. All of this is a long-winded way of asking if anyone is aware of mobility aid rentals similar to Special Needs at Sea for land vacations. I've spent quite a bit of time googling, to no avail. And of course I'll be contacting visitor information centers for their help, but thought perhaps someone might have some real-life experience. 

Thanks in advance for any input.

20 minutes ago, dreamer320 said:

I hope it's okay to get some guidance from you regarding land vacations. I have a few different medical issues that make walking more than a few blocks difficult, and standing still more than a couple minutes also difficult. In regular, everyday life, I use a cane almost all the time, have and use a handicapped placard, and plan activities carefully around my abilities and energy. I recently took a business trip to Chicago, and used a wheelchair in the airport, and in a museum, because I knew both would be too much walking for me. We ubered a lot for short distances, and I unfortunately overdid it a couple of times.

We (dh and I) are planning a two-week trip to Belgium, with a couple of days trips elsewhere, and staying in probably four different cities/towns. I now know that it would be best to have a scooter or wheelchair available for longer bouts of sightseeing. I'm not at the point where I need this in my non-travel life, so I don't have this equipment. All of this is a long-winded way of asking if anyone is aware of mobility aid rentals similar to Special Needs at Sea for land vacations. I've spent quite a bit of time googling, to no avail. And of course I'll be contacting visitor information centers for their help, but thought perhaps someone might have some real-life experience. 

Thanks in advance for any input.

Goodness.

I just Googled  "renting a mobility scooter in Europe" and got several hits without any tweaking.

(But obviously I don't know anything about them, so check, etc.)

Was there something wrong with all of these?

GC

11 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Goodness.

I just Googled  "renting a mobility scooter in Europe" and got several hits without any tweaking.

(But obviously I don't know anything about them, so check, etc.)

Was there something wrong with all of these?

GC

Thanks. Mostly I've found rentals in large cities like London, Paris, etc., but not something I can use throughout two weeks of travel in smaller areas. And, though it's likely a long shot, I was hoping someone would have personal experience with a land vacation in lesser-traveled areas of Europe.

• 2 weeks later...

I would consider buying a Pride Go Go for your trip.  They can be bought for the price of about 4 weeks hire charge and then you have the benefit of being able to use it in the future, or selling it when you return.  I had a Go Go for many years which went on planes, ships and trains and worked out much cheeper than hiring one. As I need to use a scooter more these days I have just treated myself to a very light weight scooter with suspension, which was much more expensive, but we have to treat ourselves sometimes.  

• 2 months later...

If you haven't already left, I suggest that you look into buying either a used mobility scooter or a folding wheelchair for sale on Letgo.com or Craigslist.org or at a local thrift shop (Hospice or hospital thrift shops are often a good source) before you go to use throughout the trip rather than renting. (Airlines are required to transport such mobility aids free of charge.)  If you have time, use it frequently before you go so that you and DH get used to it.  You won't really know what features are best for you until you have used an aid.  So I wouldn't buy a new one until you have a little more experience.  Whatever you do, have a wonderful trip!