Silversea Antarctica Cruise Rent or bring own expedition gear?

luvtocruise88

Sailing Silversea Cloud December 2019 to Antarctica.  I am just wondering if anyone rented the gear through the ship and their experience with it?  We have a lot of the gear needed, but I am not sure I want to fill my suitcase with it. Just wondering which way we would be better? Rent or Bring?  Also any suggestions for must haves to bring on the trip would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

• Like 1

My wife bought boots as she has big feet and also needed boots.  I own good winter boots so I rented.  We were both pleased with our choices.

She also bought waterproof pants, but they were like $10 at the EMS going out of business sale and they didn't have my size, so I rented.

We both rented poles, which we only sort of needed once, so that part was a waste.

Bring an extra camera, just in case.  Our new one died a few days in, but we had our old one with us and still got most of the pictures we wanted.

• Like 1

FYI - A pole can be very useful in South Georgia if you're doing an Antartcica/Falklands/South Georgia itinerary. An aggressive fur seal will usually back down if you point a stick at it, and the expedition staff are armed with wooden poles for just this reason.

When we were exploring in Grytviken, we came around a corner to a surprised fur seal who reacted defensively. I was frantically scanning the ground for some rocks to bang together (the other suggested defense) when the other passenger nearby raised her hiking pole and pointed it at the seal. It immediately backed down and both seal and humans went on their way without incident!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/17/2019 at 9:48 PM, Seaflower50 said:

Question on the the waterproof pants - which is better waterproof over pants worn over regular clothes or the insulated type with just a base layer?  I live in FL and have forgotten my New England roots🤪

I prefer uninsulated rain pants so that I can adjust the layering more easily, and I’ve been able to use them for other purposes after (visiting waterfalls in Iceland, open-air theater in the rain, etc). I usually wear a merino wool base layer, and then depending on the temperature or activity I can use a fleece midlayer.

• 1 month later...

we are going on Silverseas Cloud Dec 10 sailing

Coming off a 2 week South America cruise on Celebrity, so packing space very tight.

some people have said there were boots on board you can just borrow though you take a risk of not having the right size - is that correct?  If we want to rent, does SS send us that info? when?

would ski pants work?  we have several pair and thought those might be good vs buying new waterproof pants that we don't really need.  Thoughts?

SS will send you rental info.  We heard about the borrow possibility but don't know anyone who risked it.  Can you imagine spending all that money and getting that far away and wearing ill-fitting boots?

You need WATERPROOF pants.  You will be standing in knee deep water that might come over the top of your boots, and ski pants aren't going to do the trick

• Like 1

Luvtocruise88 - that is great. Don't know anyone else on board. Have never sailed with Silverseas or any upscale line, or done anything like an expedition cruise. If you have, any advice welcome.

I will try to message you my email address.

See you on board!

I have never been on Silverseas, but I know someone that went on the this exact trip and loved it. If you sign in to your cruise account, you can not only rent your gear, but you can book spa appointments and make dinner reservations. You can also choose the size of your parka. 

I have only been on one expedition cruise to the Galapagos on the Celebrity Xpedition, which was wonderful!

Edited by luvtocruise88

Luvtocruise88 - that is great. Don't know anyone else on board. Have never sailed with Silverseas or any upscale line, or done anything like an expedition cruise. If you have, any advice welcome.

I will try to message you my email address.

See you on board!

• 5 weeks later...

Seaflower59 - got the boots you suggested and love them.  Great to know ahead of time how they fit with our thick socks.

and much cheaper than renting.  even if we leave them behind we will have saved $$

found Columbia waterproof pants on Amazon as well

now just need another pair of long under wear and a couple more pair of warm socks.

Glad you like them!  We bought some of our other gear from Mountain Wearhouse.  Looks to be good quality.  They often have a ‘free shipping’ deal going. I am hoping some of this stuff will fit my PA daughter/granddaughter since I do not need 2 pairs of long underwear for FL!!