orlando airport to port canaveral.....

does anyone one know anything about getting from orlando airport (mco) to port canaveral? im not sure if i should reserve a car and have it there waiting for me, or if they provide shuttle service to port canaveral, or if i can just hop on a taxi and have them take me. plus i dont know which would be cheaper. its a good 45 minute ride so i knew itd be best if i looked into it. if any one has done this or any one has any info please let me know. it would be much appreciated. thanks!

We'll be getting off the Sensation the day you get on the Glory. I have been reading lots of information and have decided the best way for us is to rent a car in Orlando (Budget) since we arriving the day prior to sailing. Return it in the morning and use Budget's shuttle to the pier. This way we have the car for dinner on Sunday and to pick up soda and wine we don't want to carry on the plane. Returning we will take the Carnival shuttle because we're usually too depressed to care! Maybe this will help.:D

We rented a car from MCO (reserved it online ahead of time) and it was a very quick and easy ride to the port. Actually, you drop it off at the rental car place and they take you to the port. I think the one way rental was around 30.00.

We'll also be on the Sensation on May 8, 2006 and we'll be doing it again then.

I am on the Sensation in April, and we have the same dilemma. We are renting from Budget both ways because we come in the night before and we have a late flight the day we come home. I was able to get something around $50 each way, so for a group of 4 it is more economical than doing tranfers. Check around for codes (see Mousesavers or some of the Disney sites)- I think you can do a little better than $75 although that seems to be a more expensive time.

I think it's $50 each for roundtrip Carnival transfers, so you could consider staying at an airport hotel and just taking Carnival transfers the next morning. Chances are you can find a better deal on an airport hotel than a Port hotel.

There are car services, but the going rate seems to be around $180 round trip airport to port. We used Tiffany in the past and it worked out beautifully, but they have recently changed ownership. There are other companies that you will find recommended on the boards. Again, check the DIS boards for thorough info - Disney cruisers seem to be the most obsessed of us all!

see heres the thing, we are arriving the day of the cruise at like 9 am. so all we need to do it find a way to get to the pier. so i guess a taxi or shuttle will do. do i have to make previous reservations for these or ca i just hop on one whe we get there? plus ive just read somewhere that the shuttles dont go to the pier after 1:30 pm. just not sure what to do. renting a car is out since we only need a ride to the pier. and i cant find a car service to take us there for less than 90 dollars one way and like 175 both ways. uuggg, maybe ill try looking more into the shuttle thing, i didnt know carnival had one.

We were in a group last year and chartered a bus to take us from the airport to the pier and the reverse when we returned. It was cheap and easy since we had 28 of us. Mears has a shuttle and Carnival has a shuttle too. They are at the airport waiting for you. You just have to book ahead of time. Have fun!!!

Hi there....My family is going on the Glory on 2/4 and we're flying into Orlando Airport at 9 am the morning of the cruise. We'll go and pick up our luggage downstairs then go outside to the transportation area. Mears is a shuttle company and charges 25.00 per person for one way to the Port. Carnival Cruiseline reps will be there and you can buy round trip shuttle tickets directly from them. The shuttles start at 10 am and run thru the afternoon. You do not need reservations...this is a walk up service. Town Cars can also be rented for $160.00 one way to the port. :)

Which company did you find to rent for $30?? I've been checking online and can't find anything less than $75 (tax included). Flying in on Friday night to leave on the Sensation on Saturday (April 15th).

Isn't that Easter? If so that is still peak spring break and that is probably causing the high rate.

see heres the thing, we are arriving the day of the cruise at like 9 am. so all we need to do it find a way to get to the pier. so i guess a taxi or shuttle will do. do i have to make previous reservations for these or ca i just hop on one whe we get there? plus ive just read somewhere that the shuttles dont go to the pier after 1:30 pm. just not sure what to do. renting a car is out since we only need a ride to the pier. and i cant find a car service to take us there for less than 90 dollars one way and like 175 both ways. uuggg, maybe ill try looking more into the shuttle thing, i didnt know carnival had one.

It is not a quick trip. Close to 45 or 50 miles. If you want a shuttle reserve ahead of time. I have had trouble getting a shuttle to Disney World without a reservation.

We are cruising on Glory 03/18/06 and we are flying in the day before as I have read to many nightmares of delays. We are taking a shuttle service from the airport to hotel which is about 7 miles from port and the cost is

$60.00 for four. I also called a cab service and it was 64.00. I think that must be the going rate. Hope you have lots of fun!!!!! I am counting the

days. :)

Don't know about getting to the port, we've never cruised before our first one will be to Alaska, but we have used Golden Limo to get from the airport to Disney and Jimmy was terrific. I know taking the limo was about the same cost as taking a taxi and everything was right there waiting when we got off the plane. Renting a car at Orlando can be time consuming if you don't belong to one of the rental car programs at least at Spring Break times.

• 1 month later...

Christina, don't completely rule out renting as it may be cheapest means of getting there. The drive is real easy, about 45 mins from MCO and most rental agencies are on airport property. Very easy to rent at MCO.

When checking for rentals, ask the agent which rate is best. They should be able to quote you rates for most any discounts they have available; Entertainment book, AAA, Sam's Club, Costco, AARP. Also check online for discount codes. Good luck.

We cruised on the Glory last April and were apprehensive about renting a car and driving to Port Canaveral. It's a piece of cake! We live in a relatively rural area and our largest city close to us has approximately 50,000 people, so driving in the "city" isn't part of our lives. The highway is very well marked and has two lanes. Drive is about 45 minutes and it's a straight shot from MCO to the port. We stayed overnight in the Orlando area and then drove to Cocoa Beach which was wonderful! Next time will stay there instead of Orlando. We used Budget and I signed up for the Fast Pass. No waiting in line at the airport. Full size car was $32 in early April on a Friday. Dropped at the Cocoa Beach location which is right on A1A (the main drag). Waited about 5-10 minutes for a shuttle and off to the port. Very, very easy and would recommend it highly especially if you have some extra time or more than 2 people. Even with 2 of us, it was more convenient and cheaper renting a car than purchasing the transfers. We did use the transfers on the way home which was fine. We did have a late flight and could have rented a car for the day which in hindsight, we should have! Not only is your date Easter but it's the beginning of vacation for many K-12 schools especially in the Northeast. Big travel week!

• 3 weeks later...
Stupid question, but what is the car rental location closest to Port Canaveral. Is it Cape Canaveral? Do all the agencies have a free shuttle to the pier, or just Budget?

Yes, the closest "city" to the port is Cape Canaveral. A few years ago I used to drive the shuttle for Hertz. At that time Avis, Budget, Hertz, and Enterprise were the only companies to offer free shuttles to & from the port. I've heard that Thrifty has started a shuttle since then. They're all on A1A in Cape Canaveral, except Enterprise (on SR 520 in Merritt Island), which is CLOSED on Sundays.

Archived