using a portable oxygen concentrator 24/7

rickadoo

We have booked a cruise tour and recently I have been put on full-time oxygen. For the cruise part I know I can rent an oxygen concentrator but for the 5 day tour part I was planning on using my portable oxygen concentrator  with two batteries. This means waking up in the middle of the night and changing them. Has anyone done this? If so, how did it go? Trying to decide if I should cancel the tour part. Thanks

I don’t think I understand?    We have 2 Inogen portables, and in both cases, we can plug the unit in at night to charge and run, and use an external plug in battery charger to recharge the extra battery.   We don’t have to get up in the middle of the night to change batteries...so I guess I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish?   If you are trying to charge both batteries over night, purchase an external charger...I am unsure of any portable unit that doesn’t plug in to run and charge.  You can use this unit also on board ship, no need to rent one.   Pls elaborate further, so we can assist.  

Glad to assist!   When you receive it, check it out, turn it on, become very familiar with its usage, and if you have questions, google brand and style, or ask away, we may be able to assist!  Enjoy travel and freedom with portable O2!  

Please make sure you also have an adapter for the European voltage and plug-ins.  You can purchase one fairly reasonable at Radio Shack (if they still exist) or some of the hardware stores.  In addition, the battery charger that came with my scooter is rather flimsy, so I invested in a better quality and travel with both. 

Have a wonderful trip,

Betty

Not to confuse OP,  portable oxygen concentrator should not be run on European voltage plug ins unless specifically made for it, and also the battery chargers for portable O2 units are specific to each brand and battery type, you have to use like for like.    I think you meant for a scooter thread.   

• 2 months later...

You probably won't need a voltage converter for the P.O.C. just a US to European plug in.  I regularly take my AirSep Focus, Sequal Eclipse, Phillips Simply Go, and Respironics G3 with me to France and all work on 240v as well as 110v.  Check the label on your power supply (the rectangular block that you plug into the POC and into the wall outlet).  It should say.  Oh, and be sure to bring a power strip with surge protector.  There never are enough outlets for a POC, a CPAP (if you need one), plus charging for your computer and phone.

For long (14 day or longer) cruises, I pack my at-home concentrator by INOGEN (weighs about 20 lbs) along with all of my batteries and plugs, etc. It is free to check and that way I don’t have to use my POC at night. 

3 hours ago, GandG331 said:

You probably won't need a voltage converter for the P.O.C. just a US to European plug in.  I regularly take my AirSep Focus, Sequal Eclipse, Phillips Simply Go, and Respironics G3 with me to France and all work on 240v as well as 110v.  Check the label on your power supply (the rectangular block that you plug into the POC and into the wall outlet).  It should say.  Oh, and be sure to bring a power strip with surge protector.  There never are enough outlets for a POC, a CPAP (if you need one), plus charging for your computer and phone.

No no no no no!  Surge protectors are a fire hazard on a ship and will be confiscated if found in your luggage.  Ships do not have power surges.  There have been many, many threads about this on these boards.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom