Quebec City hotel location

Sailor Taylor

I am looking at Quebec City hotel locations and have a few choices:

Upper town near La Terrasse Saint Denis

Upper town near Maison Francois Xavier Garneau

Lower town on Rue Saint Pierre or Rue du Sault au Matelot

Any thoughts and opinions?  I am mainly interested in the best location; amenities are secondary as we are only in the hotel to shower and sleep. 

Also where exactly does the ship dock and which area is the closest to the port?

Edited by Sailor Taylor

Auberge St-Antoine is across the street.  Great hotel

Hotel 71 is 1 street further, still in line with the terminal.  In fact, it's the next street from St-Antoine.

Next door to Hotel 71 is Hôtel St-Pierre.

A bit further, yet 5-6 minute walk to the terminal is Hôtel Port-Royal.  More affordable.

My favourites are St-Antoine and Hotel 71.

• Thanks 1

In the following image, the red outline is where the docks are.  The red arrow is pointing to the train station.

Walking time from the docks to the train station (without luggage) is 12-15 minutes.  Cab ride is 3-10 minutes depending on traffic.

Quebec.thumb.png.1326ba1cb5b3aec4cd60895afef881ec.png

• Thanks 1

Actually, the location is quite good because it's complicated to get there by car.  Also, this is an area that is enclaved between Château Frontenac and the Citadelle.  The surroundings are rather residential, with some small and quaint hotels similar to the which you have chosen.

This area is interesting because the trees and park in the area separate your hotel from the bustle of Rue St-Louis, that is a one-way street that funnels in to Old Québec, right to Château Frontenac.  There is a tunnel that turns from St-Louis to the Château's parking and the street of your hotel... But generally car traffic there is either for the parking or errant tourists.  Hence, the street is quaint.

Your hotel's street has a nice sidewalk that winds down to Dufferin Terrace.  The view from there is usually the one that is used to portray Québec as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

• Thanks 1

Thank you!  You know what? I just checked and there is a river view room available in hotel Terrasse Duffrin for about the same price.  I think I might switch just for that!  Not an high end hotel by any means but we won't be in the room that much.  

17 hours ago, Sailor Taylor said:

Thanks!  I am currently booked in a hotel named hotel le chateau De Pierre and it is in Upper town and very close to Parc des gouverneurs . I know I want to stay in Upper town but wonder that location is good?  

I love that hotel, have stayed there over 30 years. Great location. Welcoming staff. We love it

Edited by Host Carolyn
  • Thanks 1

I will be in Québec in two weeks time and will be staying at the Hotel Château Bellevue facing the Parc des Gouverneurs.  I haven't stayed there before so I can't comment, but it's a very nice area of the Upper Town. The Bellevue is just across the street from the Château de Pierre.

• Thanks 1