Celebrity "Not"- unless you're on the F list

micheles

Do all the drinks really cost $11? I am used to paying $5 or $6 a drink or sometimes $8. i have never paid $11 for a drink. Is this true or is this an gripe of a sourpuss?

Don't flame me-I am just asking and I am fixing to take my first Celebrity cruise in 2 weeks.

They are expensive, but liquor prices seem to have gone up everywhere lately. We were on the Zenith last month: no we didn't pay $11 for a glass of wine, I did pay $9 including tip. I thought this was a bit out of line, thus I didn't drink nearly as much as usual. Specials of the day run about $5.00. Two days Martinis were the daily special: they were good, but very small. My dog couldn't have gotten a buzz on one, and he only weighs about 13 lbs. The fru fru drinks with glass run about $9, without about $7.50. Other prices will range from $6 to about $8 and a bottle of wine $25 and up. Yes, maybe a bit higher than you are accustome to, but what the heck? Is just money!!!! LOL

Mom' date=' most of the drinks range from $4 daily specials to $5 or $6. The martini bar special martinis, which are huge drinks, run $10 or $11, but are twice or more as big as a regular one and are filled to the brim. Often, they'll even bring you the shaker if there's anything left in it for you to top it off after you've sipped some to lower the level.

Allen[/quote']Allen I don't know when your last Celebrity cruise was, but I can guarentee you there were no drinks on the Zenith for $4 and few for $5. The $5 ones were the daily specials and very small. NMNita

Wow, we have been on over 35 cruises 3 of them on Celebrity and we find they are one of the BEST cruise lines in the industry along with Holland America Line. Their service is impecible and we have never experienced any of the things you mention. Celebrity is the only cruise line that we have taken that offers free champagne upon boarding along with many many many other little special touches that perhaps you missed. I think it would be best for you just not to go with Celebrity again, that way those of us who LOVE Celebrity can continue to enjoy it. The Mercury is a wonderful wonderful ship and the Infinity is even more awesome!

I'd be interested to know if the captain had announced that they'd be passing the volcano. If so, all one has to do is go on deck 4 and walk to the other side of the ship if you can't see anything from where you are. Same is true of the aft buffet area or deck 11.

My thoughts exactly.....walk around until you can see it. As I recall, from my previous cruises, decks/hallways/elevators/stairs, DO enable one to go from one end of the ship to the other.......:)

Guess this means I bit? LOL

I dont know what drinks are $4...certainly not on Century. I will be honest, I think the beers are outrageously priced but seeing that I dont drink beer - no big deal. However, I was able to find a drink of the day almost every day so mine tended to be fairly inexpensive. I will also tell you a great trick is to flirt with the guy next to you - then you get it for free :) hehe

Also, you can buy a bon voyage package that comes with cans of sodas to try saving some money.

Just a side note....how many of us take those drink menus with us after the cruise? Maybe that is why prices are going up????

Hey, Anne Maria!:)

One of the things that's helped me is to make requests in advance, like saying to the bartender when I walk by that I'll "be back before dinner for one of those WONDERFUL Mojitos" (Ick, can't stand 'em, myself!;) ) When he or she says that they don't have the ingredients, I give my best dejected look, and asked if there's any way? ALWAYS get what I want, because it really isn't an effort for them to ask a bar-back during the quiet hours to add mint to the list of supplies to be brought up, and they get to look like a star for me. But during the rush, there's not always time, and my wanting them to go for mint or a cone, or whatever, means that the other 10, 20, 30 people there have to wait for ANYTHING.

Hey, I didn't have a bunch of Southern women friends in college for nothing. :D You can always get what you want, you just might have to plan ahead to get it!:)

Andrew

Ok...this person makes one, and only one post, and it generates 83 replies...we are nothing, if not a trusting group :D .

To quote P.T.Barnham..."there's a sucker b......" :eek:

Dan, you can go ahead and say it~

A sucker born every minute..actually 83 of them;)

By the way, hope Jill and Matt are both doing well too~

And your Mom!!!

By the way, hope Jill and Matt are both doing well too~

And your Mom!!!

Everyone is great...and healthy...except for my son, who is an idiot :eek: . Do they all come back from college stupider than the went in??

Andrew...OT is not a free pass...BTW, Jib is less of a "boy" than he was 12 hours ago....poor Jib!!

Everyone is great...and healthy...except for my son, who is an idiot :eek: . Do they all come back from college stupider than the went in??

Andrew...OT is not a free pass...BTW, Jib is less of a "boy" than he was 12 hours ago....poor Jib!!

Just tell your son to shape up -- using Jib as an example of what might happen.:p

Well, overall I'll agree with the original poster.

Was on the Mercury 1/2 - 1/13, great itinerary, our service was great, but the price of everything was ridiculous, MUCH more than other lines.

I've been on 8 Celebrity cruises and the overall passenger mix was unfriendly and snobbish. The cruise did not leave me with the " I don't wanna go home " feeling others have. I was MORE than ready to get off that tug. She needs drydocked and stripped down inside.

Will be quite a while till I cruise Celebrity again!-

I was MORE than ready to get off that tug. She needs drydocked and stripped down inside.

I STRONGLY disagree with this assertion about Mercury's condition. unless it has really deteriorated in 3-4 months. When we were on it in oct-nov '05 it was absolutely fine (attested to by several of our "amigos' on that cruise).

Never fear SMITh is here.... 'lost in space'

Mom' date=' most of the drinks range from $4 daily specials to $5 or $6. The martini bar special martinis, which are huge drinks, run $10 or $11, but are twice or more as big as a regular one and are filled to the brim. Often, they'll even bring you the shaker if there's anything left in it for you to top it off after you've sipped some to lower the level.

Allen[/quote']

Thanks Allen-from the tone of the OP I figured they were just a sourpuss. My usual drink is rum and diet coke-because that does not run my blood sugar up.

I dont know what drinks are $4...certainly not on Century. I will be honest, I think the beers are outrageously priced but seeing that I dont drink beer - no big deal. However, I was able to find a drink of the day almost every day so mine tended to be fairly inexpensive. I will also tell you a great trick is to flirt with the guy next to you - then you get it for free :) hehe

Also, you can buy a bon voyage package that comes with cans of sodas to try saving some money.

Just a side note....how many of us take those drink menus with us after the cruise? Maybe that is why prices are going up????

I actually did this last time so I could be better informed if I have clients that want to know exactly what prices are. LOL

YES

My daughter must have spent a semester with your son. It was all I could do to keep my mouth shut!

Glad to know I'm not alone on this one!

Cheers,

Well, overall I'll agree with the original poster.

Was on the Mercury 1/2 - 1/13, great itinerary, our service was great, but the price of everything was ridiculous, MUCH more than other lines.

We were on the same cruise as you CruiseAholic, and agree that the itinerary and service was great [except for our table!]. We must respectfully disagree with you concerning the condition of Mercury. We had sailed on Mercury almost two years ago, and we thought that she was really in great condition. We noted that many public areas had been refurnished, and that our RS had been entirely redone!

Now as to prices of drinks. Apparently most of the posters have not purchased drinks at various hotels and restaurants around here or in Europe - where $9.00 and $10.00 per drink are not that unusual. It is our practice to have a cocktail before dinner at Rondevous Square - and the price with tip included on Mercury for two martinis was $13.00. We rarely drink the specials, but the charge for two drinks on this cruise at the various bars was $13.00 and we drink absolute and beefeaters. That is the same amount that we pay at our bar at the golf resort that we live at.

We always pre cruise purchase two Celebrity liquor packages, one of absolute and the other beefeaters gin. Each comes with six cans of your choice of soda and a really generous box of cashews, smoked almonds and peanuts. They are $50.00 each, and the bottles are litres, not the smaller fifth. No tips are included. Those bottles serve an awful lot of those drinks that you would pay for at the bar with the 15% tip included. And you have the convinence of sitting on your veranda savoring your own adult libation.

Folks, if you are paying thousands of dollars for your cruise, why are you worrying about some dimes or a dollar while on your cruise?

Folks, if you are paying thousands of dollars for your cruise, why are you worrying about some dimes or a dollar while on your cruise?

I don't 'get' this either. Now, I understand that 'a penny saved is a penny saved' or earned, or whatever. But, the problems people have with with what additional charges they might incur stump me. We see it all the time in 'can i bring an iron' threads (send it OUT for crying out loud), or 'can I get a box lunch for my excursion' (buy some food onshore for crying out loud).

Yea, $11.00 for a drink is high, but there are other options, and other ways to save.

I've been on 8 Celebrity cruises and the overall passenger mix was unfriendly and snobbish.

Gee, I've made such good friends on Celebrity that I'm waiting right now to finish work, so that I can go out to dinner with a couple we met on the Infinity last Fall. That was a group of about 30, our rollcall is still active. I've got four vacations/trips planned this year, and they all involve a cruise on Celebrity, or land trips, and are with people we've met on Celebrity cruises. Some of the most down to earth folks I've ever met. :) Bright, inteligent, sophisticated, or sometimes just plain nice, sure...but hardly what you describe.

Sorry you didn't find it this way. Amazing that we've both had such different experiences.:(

Andrew

Gee, I've made such good friends on Celebrity that I'm waiting right now to finish work, so that I can go out to dinner with a couple we met on the Infinity last Fall. That was a group of about 30, our rollcall is still active. I've got four vacations/trips planned this year, and they all involve a cruise on Celebrity, or land trips, and are with people we've met on Celebrity cruises. Some of the most down to earth folks I've ever met. :) Bright, inteligent, sophisticated, or sometimes just plain nice, sure...but hardly what you describe.

Sorry you didn't find it this way. Amazing that we've both had such different experiences.:(

Andrew

Andrew, thank you for the kind remarks...oh... are we just the plain nice ones? See you tomorow evening!

Karyn

Archived