Bus Transfer Anchorage to Whittier

Jeter02

What time does Princess start their bus transfers from Anchorage at The Egan center to Whittier to the cruise port? Curious to know is how early the buses arrive at the port for boarding?

Check in does not start until 12:30 at the earliest in Whittier. No need to be on the first bus of the day.

Last May I took the privately-booked Alaska Railroad train that arrives shortly after Noon at Whittier. Those of us from that train appeared to be the first passengers to arrive. No buses had arrived as yet. Since the bus ride is just a hair over 90 minutes vs. 2 hrs 20 min on the train I would guess the first buses leave just before lunchtime.

Now if you are asking because you wish to reserve a pre-cruise private tour in Whittier, based on what I have seen on the Alaska board here, combined with my own experience above, is that you need an individual private transfer to make sure you are on time.

6 minutes ago, fishywood said:

Check in does not start until 12:30 at the earliest in Whittier. No need to be on the first bus of the day.

Last May I took the privately-booked Alaska Railroad train that arrives shortly after Noon at Whittier. Those of us from that train appeared to be the first passengers to arrive. No buses had arrived as yet. Since the bus ride is just a hair over 90 minutes vs. 2 hrs 20 min on the train I would guess the first buses leave just before lunchtime.

Now if you are asking because you wish to reserve a pre-cruise private tour in Whittier, based on what I have seen on the Alaska board here, combined with my own experience above, is that you need an individual private transfer to make sure you are on time.

@fishywood which way do you recommend. Train or bus? I'll be honest I do get motion sickness sometime in cars, so trying to find something that's easy on on twists and turns.

Edited by Jeter02

The train has a 45 MPH speed restriction for most of its route which is why I recommended going by road if you have a deadline to reach Whittier. The view from the train is either forest on the left or Turnagain Arm on the right; I don't know if a fairly calm water view will be helpful or not (vs. trees rushing by). There is also a narrow dark tunnel for the last few miles approaching Whittier--whether by train or road. 

I don't recall the drive being very twisty or turny. A lot of this may depend on whether your driver goes with the speed of the traffic flow or stays within the legal limit for buses. On the northbound ride from Whittier to Anchorage the driver did the latter and watching other vehicles pass us when less than entirely safe was a bit alarming.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeter02 said:

@fishywood which way do you recommend. Train or bus? I'll be honest I do get motion sickness sometime in cars, so trying to find something that's easy on on twists and turns.

I get motion sickness on winding roads as well. I use the TransdermScop patch to avoid seasickness. If I was worried about the land trip to the ship I would just apply my patch earlier. Since you do get motion sickness don't you have something you use on the ship that can help you with the land trip?

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I get motion sickness on winding roads as well. I use the TransdermScop patch to avoid seasickness. If I was worried about the land trip to the ship I would just apply my patch earlier. Since you do get motion sickness don't you have something you use on the ship that can help you with the land trip?

I plan on doubling up on my bonine. Funny thing my motion sickness is mainly car sickness and a little flight. Ships, I feel nothing. Hence why cruising is my favorite form of transportation.nhelps to to live FLL right my the cruise port. ,😉

6 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

I plan on doubling up on my bonine. Funny thing my motion sickness is mainly car sickness and a little flight. Ships, I feel nothing. Hence why cruising is my favorite form of transportation.nhelps to to live FLL right my the cruise port. ,😉

Wow. A tender ride without meds would be disabling for me.