Mykonos; Delos in particular

cool cruiser 14107

Hi,

We're in Mykonos one day only, and we want time to shop!

If we do the Delos tour, we'll have very little time for that in downtown Mykonos shopping.

Is Delos a 'must see' though? should we do it anyway no matter what?!

And I see there's a 'ferry' and a 'boat' that go there.

I get seasick; (but I'll have the patch).

Is the boat smaller (12-15 ppl?) and very fast?  (worse for me I'm guessing)

I assume the ferry is large and slower; but it's a much longer day trip.

thanks for any info anyone has!

I've only gone to and from Delos on a fairly large ferry. The island is a distance from Mykonos, I would not think a small boat would be used. The only time I sensed more than a little movement was when the ferry had to slow down on approaching Delos (in order to dock) and also when getting underway. But I am not prone to seasickness at all, so perhaps not the best person to ask.

Is Delos a must see?  If you are interested in ancient history and ruins it is. If you only have a passing interest, then weigh it against all that you will already be seeing/doing on your trip.

Delos has wonderful ruins, some nice mosaics, and a lot of history. It is supposedly the island where Apollo and Aphrodite were born, in ancient mythology; for that reason it was seen as a sort of religious sanctuary. It was also an active trading center in Hellenistic and then Roman times -- particularly known for its brisk slave trade. (Talk about a sharp contrast!)

On the minus side, the trip over and back, with a couple of hours to see the sights, will take at least 4-5 hours. It is also very hot there in the summer months, with very little shade. There is a small, but interesting museum on site but otherwise everything is outside and involves a lot of walking, some of it not so easy.