How smooth is the ferry to Nevis?

5thgirl

We're thinking of doing the day tour to Nevis at our St. Kitts port stop. My son and I get seasick sometimes when the water is too choppy or wavy. Can anyone who's done this tell me if the ride is smooth or not?  Thanks!

We have done this trip numerous times by catamaran. Granted, we have had good (sometimes windy) weather and never had a problem with excessive motion.  Be sure to sit when you can see the water,.  Do not sit down below if it is enclosed.  My husband and I use an all natural product called Motion Ease before we get on a cruise and anytime we are going to be on the water. It's a great alternative for those who can't or won't use a conventional medications.   My husband gets sea sick easily and can not take any of the usual Medications (Meclizine, Benadryl etc.)  You apply a small drop behind your ear or on your pulse points. This product has allowed him to enjoy our cruises.

Go and have a great time.  Nevis is a beautiful island with some great beaches.

Never on the ferry ... but many times on a sailing catamaran.

Sometimes, much roughter than others ... so much so the normally included snorkel stop was not possible.

We don't have a problem with getting seasick so didn't have a problem ... but didn't notice anyone else having a problem either.

Hope you'll go because it's lovely in Nevis.   :classic_cool:   

On 5/11/2019 at 2:42 PM, LittleYiaYia said:

We have done this trip numerous times by catamaran. Granted, we have had good (sometimes windy) weather and never had a problem with excessive motion.  Be sure to sit when you can see the water,.  Do not sit down below if it is enclosed.  My husband and I use an all natural product called Motion Ease before we get on a cruise and anytime we are going to be on the water. It's a great alternative for those who can't or won't use a conventional medications.   My husband gets sea sick easily and can not take any of the usual Medications (Meclizine, Benadryl etc.)  You apply a small drop behind your ear or on your pulse points. This product has allowed him to enjoy our cruises.

Go and have a great time.  Nevis is a beautiful island with some great beaches.

Thank you! We usually use Bonine as the others cause too much drowsiness. I am going to look into Motion Ease, though, thanks for sharing.

On 5/11/2019 at 3:10 PM, OCruisers said:

Never on the ferry ... but many times on a sailing catamaran.

Sometimes, much roughter than others ... so much so the normally included snorkel stop was not possible.

We don't have a problem with getting seasick so didn't have a problem ... but didn't notice anyone else having a problem either.

Hope you'll go because it's lovely in Nevis.   :classic_cool:   

Oh, we're going on a ferry as part of a tour, so no catamarans thank goodness. If the ride is about 30 minutes(?), I think it's manageable. I'm really looking forward to Nevis now! Thanks.

20 hours ago, 5thgirl said:

Oh, we're going on a ferry as part of a tour, so no catamarans thank goodness. If the ride is about 30 minutes(?), I think it's manageable. I'm really looking forward to Nevis now! Thanks.

I've made the crossing both on the ferry and on a catamaran. In my recollection, the ferry was much bumpier. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2019 at 8:29 PM, OCruisers said:

Yes, it's going to be at least 45 minutes ... plus time to load and unload.  

So, I just read the tour description again, and it states "sea-taxi" will be used. I did a few look-ups and seems that there are "water taxis" (10 min) and "ferries" (45 min).

Does anyone have experience with the RC excursion that goes to Nevis and can confirm ft it's one or the other? That's a big difference in timing! TIA 

The "water taxis" leave St Kitts from Cockleshell Beach near Reggae Beach Bar and arrive in Nevis at the new pier near Oualie Beach.It is about a 8-10 min ride. The regular ferries depart from Basseterre, St Kitts and arrive in Charlestown, Nevis. The water taxis have a bit rougher ride.