Sun review

CantSwim92

Hello everyone, thank you for your prior responses. 

We were on the NCL sun open bar cryise May 3rd to may 6th out of port canaveral. 2 stop cruise, first stop was great stirrup cay, second stop was Nassau.

We booked a balcony sailway rate (bx) and were assigned room number 0042 which is on the 10th floor and is a (BA) category

We did not have speciality dining or any other booking options due to the sailaway rate.  We originally were going to book an inside cabin but the price dropped on balconies before we booked and went with the bx instead.  Also the sailaway rate dropped after we booked and we called the cruise concierge and they gave us on board credit ( thanks for the tip on the forum).also did not do any excursions.

The good: staff was great, bar was great everything that was included was no issues, and no swiping the room card unless you wanted the unincluded stuff.

The only issue with staff is the slight language barrier with some staff, which only ran into at the customer service desk.

The Bad: the bed was very hard and hard to sleep thru the night on.

Some other customers, several drunk and sloppy before the muster drill even started.  Groups would be around the pools and not listen to staff with drinks in and on the ledge of the pool. I only saw a few kids on board which I would def. Recommend not bringing kids on this style of cruise.

Food: breakfast was the best quality meal we had on board. Lunch and dinner in the dining rooms was poor quality. Steak was the worst I've ever had at a sit down restaraunt. Buffet was not bad burgers,hot dogs etc. 

If you have some questions I will try to help, I will be getting on my return flight soon however.

*I do not have pictures of the dailies, food, room, etc. I saw most of those on this forum so did not worry about that stuff*

We're sailing on 7/15! We're booked in a balcony BC near the forward elevators, but thinking of switching to one closer to the aft elevators. It looks like aft may be a little more convenient to restaurants, etc. Any thoughts one way or the other?

42 minutes ago, SGilly said:

We're sailing on 7/15! We're booked in a balcony BC near the forward elevators, but thinking of switching to one closer to the aft elevators. It looks like aft may be a little more convenient to restaurants, etc. Any thoughts one way or the other?

I can't say if it still exists, but for a long time the aft of the Sun would come up with comments about sewage smell in the aft area of the ship across several floors.  When we sailed we ran into the issue pretty much just the first day and during the area of muster which was outside, aft.

Later there was some discussion about it possibly getting fixed in one of the drydocks.  There aren't a ton of people who post reviews or comment on the Sun so there hasn't been a lot of feedback but I can't seem to recall anyone talking about it for quite some time, but FWIW. 

The OP was in the vicinity of the aft area so maybe they have info one way or the other.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, dexddd said:

I can't say if it still exists, but for a long time the aft of the Sun would come up with comments about sewage smell in the aft area of the ship across several floors.  When we sailed we ran into the issue pretty much just the first day and during the area of muster which was outside, aft.

Later there was some discussion about it possibly getting fixed in one of the drydocks.  There aren't a ton of people who post reviews or comment on the Sun so there hasn't been a lot of feedback but I can't seem to recall anyone talking about it for quite some time, but FWIW. 

The OP was in the vicinity of the aft area so maybe they have info one way or the other.

I remember that as well and yet, we have sailed the Sun 4 times and never had a problem. Maybe we were not quite aft enough or just were lucky. 

• Like 1

There was a sewage smell in the hallways one evening for a few hours and then it went away so I'm not sure if it's something they do every cruise?

I liked the location it was very convenient to walk one flight of stairs up to the sports bar, or buffet/bar/pool or they have a set of 4 elevators there as well. I planned on trying some room service but it was just to convenient.

I'm not sure if I would move rooms over it though. It was not that long of a walk from front to back of the ship.  Some elevators do not take you to certain floors however and you must walk through stuff on certain levels as well which might make an inconvenience. For example using the aft stairs to get to the pool you had to walk through moderno restaraunt.

We were on the Sun in Feb. for a 14 day South America cruise in a mid ship balcony near the atrium elevators.  We had breakfast and dinner most days in the rear dining room and it was a loooong walk every day to the aft elevators.  Or else take the mid elevators to 6, walk through Bliss and a bar and photo gallery.  Then take stairs down to 5.