Hong Kong / Bangkok rerports?

janycels

I'm waiting to hear from cruisers returning from HK / Bangkok. We have reservations for Feb 5-20, 2007. How were the tours, the weather, and the ports you visited? Do you have any suggestions re the most popular ports and tours?

Janycels

I plan on writing a complete review later today. We just returned from the Hong Kong to Singapore cruise and should have time later tonight to do a comprehensive report. I can just say that cruising Asia is quite different from cruising Europe but nevertheless we found it most enjoyable.

We just got back last night. The weather in Bangkok was HOT. Hong Kong was pleasant. The first day you did not need a jacket then it cooled down for 3 days where you needed a sweater and maybe a jacket. It did get rather cool at night.

Hong Kong is very easy to do on your own. Their transportation system is amazing. We had a guide and driver in Bangkok which worked well. Many people that did the ship tours in Hong Kong and Bangkok were not satisfied.

We had a guide and driver in Bangkok which worked well. Many people that did the ship tours in Hong Kong and Bangkok were not satisfied.

Hi smj,

Do you have contact information for your guide and driver in Bangkok? We leave next Thursday for Hong Kong and end up in Bangkok at the end of the cruise.

Thanks!

Joe

Joe,

We used allasia for most of our tours. I would reccommend that you ask for a guide that speaks excellent English and speak with them by phone before arriving. I hope you are spending several days in Bangkok. We only had one day which was not nearly enough. Be certain that you have plenty of time to see the Grand Palace. It is one of the most impressive sites in the world.

Steve

Joe,

We used allasia for most of our tours. I would reccommend that you ask for a guide that speaks excellent English and speak with them by phone before arriving. I hope you are spending several days in Bangkok. We only had one day which was not nearly enough. Be certain that you have plenty of time to see the Grand Palace. It is one of the most impressive sites in the world.

Steve

Thanks Steve. We are doing five nights post cruise in Bangkok. Can't wait. Watched "Anna and the King" on television the other night, which just further fueled our excitement. :D

Joe

Second that about the Grand palace in Bangkok - reduced me to tears which is VERY much a rarity. Another suggestion being as you have five days there - you MUST go to Chatukchak market - it used to be only on weekends but I have heard said that it's at least now also open Fridays - but that is rumour. It is the biggest market in Asia and sells everything known to humanity, and then some. If you aren't there on a weekend go to Narayana Phand - a four or five story complex selling Thai arts, crafts, wares, gemstones etc. Narayana is part of a charity conglomerate overseen by the queen - it is a place where you don't have to bargain, the prices are very good and are set price (thus it's also a good place to find out what the price of something should be). Getting around Bangkok is slow due to the unbelievable traffic - tuk tuks are cute, but don't get stuck in one for too long or you will die of carbon monoxide poisoning! Since I was last there there is now an overhead monorail which I believe also goes to Chatuchak - that will make life a lot easier.

Second that about the Grand palace in Bangkok - reduced me to tears which is VERY much a rarity. Another suggestion being as you have five days there - you MUST go to Chatukchak market - it used to be only on weekends but I have heard said that it's at least now also open Fridays - but that is rumour. It is the biggest market in Asia and sells everything known to humanity, and then some. If you aren't there on a weekend go to Narayana Phand - a four or five story complex selling Thai arts, crafts, wares, gemstones etc. Narayana is part of a charity conglomerate overseen by the queen - it is a place where you don't have to bargain, the prices are very good and are set price (thus it's also a good place to find out what the price of something should be). Getting around Bangkok is slow due to the unbelievable traffic - tuk tuks are cute, but don't get stuck in one for too long or you will die of carbon monoxide poisoning! Since I was last there there is now an overhead monorail which I believe also goes to Chatuchak - that will make life a lot easier.

Thanks Lahore. I've printed your post and it will be traveling to Bangkok with us! :D

Joe & Jeff

Archived