Which Norway Itinerary for 2020?

ChinaShrek

I am trying to decide between two different 7-night Norway cruises in 2020.  Both cruises are on the Nieuw Statendam and both are out of Amsterdam.  Two of the ports are the same but two are different.  Which itinerary would you select and why?

Cruise 1 ports (Departs June 21, 2020):

Alesund

Geiranger

Bergen

Eidfjord

Cruise 2 ports (departs August 16, 2020):

Andalsnes

Olden

Bergen

Eidfjord

Definitely the first one! (even if I'd always say a 7day cruise is not enough for beautiful Norway...). I'd always suggest the longer itineraries on Nieuw Statendam if that might be possible for you even if it's twice 7 days combined. But there's Oslo and Flam and other interesting sights including in the second round! And on turnaround day there's always Amsterdam to explore!

Alesund is lovely, with lots to do in and around town. Geiranger fjord is not to be missed  - sailing in and out alone is a great experience.

Andalsnes is good for reaching the Trollstigen road but you can also book an excursion top Trollstigen out of Alesund even if the city itself is great to do if it's your first time in Norway.

Olden is really nice but it's very small. The attractions there are a little Troll train, the coach shuttle up to Briksdal glacier ( with hike!) and Lake Loen and the cable car up the mountain.

1 minute ago, grayjay said:

Definitely the first one! (even if I'd always say a 7day cruise is not enough for beautiful Norway...). I'd always suggest the longer itineraries on Nieuw Statendam if that might be possible for you even if it's twice 7 days combined. But there's Oslo and Flam and other interesting sights including in the second round! And on turnaround day there's always Amsterdam to explore!

Alesund is lovely, with lots to do in and around town. Geiranger fjord is not to be missed  - sailing in and out alone is a great experience.

Andalsnes is good for reaching the Trollstigen road but you can also book an excursion top Trollstigen out of Alesund even if the city itself is great to do if it's your first time in Norway.

Olden is really nice but it's very small. The attractions there are a little Troll train, the coach shuttle up to Briksdal glacier ( with hike!) and Lake Loen and the cable car up the mountain.

Thank you for the advice.  I did a 7-night last year that went to Oslo and Flam on the Koningsdam.  I had a wonderful time and want to see more of Norway next year!  

Sounds great! Then may I suggest your first choice again - and if there's still time, plan a trip to Trondheim and the Lofotes another day/ year - perhaps on a smaller ship like the Rotterdam. Being smaller, she can cruise the lovely inner passages of the coast!

19 minutes ago, grayjay said:

Sounds great! Then may I suggest your first choice again - and if there's still time, plan a trip to Trondheim and the Lofotes another day/ year - perhaps on a smaller ship like the Rotterdam. Being smaller, she can cruise the lovely inner passages of the coast!

Yeah, I looked at the Rotterdam cruises for next summer. I like HAL's newer ships and the Verandah cabins are cheaper on the Nieuw Ansterdam (although the Ocean Views are much cheaper on the Rotterdam).  Another vote in my mind against the Rotterdam is that the Rotterdam actually leaves out of Rotterdam and not Amsterdam for 2020.