Last Minute Sun Cruise - helpful tips?

Jessi8907

So we were planning on going somewhere local for our anniversary, but then found a last minute getaway cabin deal on a Sun 3-day from Port Canaveral and couldn't pass it up! We've been on the Escape twice and Getaway once. We know this is a much older & smaller ship, and we're not going into it with any expectations (and especially not expecting to make it to GSC). Anything we shouldn't miss or need to see? 

Thanks for any advice! 

Me and DH went on the Sun for a 4 day last July (my first cruise, his 2nd or 3rd). We really enjoyed it, and now we have 2 more booked!

It's a small but sturdy ship (renovated last year), I didn't know any different though. Compared to Getaway you will find it small but for 3 days it's all you'll need. We went to Freeport, GSC and Nassau also out of PC so I assume you will have a similar itinerary. We did make it to GSC in July, the seas are pretty calm in the summer. Most of the people who don't make it have issues with rough seas and tendering.

The beverage package is included for everyone of age, so don't choose it as your perk unless you want the premium plus perk. We found that only when he wanted premium scotch we got charged about $7 a drink and that was only a few times. 

We loved the Teppanyaki and Moderno specialty dining, and didn't go to any shows. The white party the last night was a lot of fun, and there was plenty of stuff going on. That being said there were no sea days since it was a short cruise. We had an OV on a low deck and had no issues with our cabin, it was actually nice considering it was close to the MDR and easy to get off the ship (deck 3 I think) without climbing tons of stairs or waiting for elevators. 

We really enjoyed it-just wish we had taken advantage of the cruise next at the time-oh well, we will this time! Enjoy your anniversary!!!

• Like 1

We had an inside room (9141) and it was so large we were impressed.... this was a sideways inside room. We loved the buffet, the drinks, the pool (it was so large for a small ship) and the MDR -Four Seasons.  Service everywhere was fabulous! Have fun!

• Like 1

The buffet is tiny so if needing room to sit, you can go outside aft (they also serve some lighter food there at times) or go to the port side and sit in Moderno.  Supposedly they serve a limited breakfast and lunch selection in there as well.  The front lounge is a nice place to hang out.

• Like 1

Just now, dexddd said:

The buffet is tiny so if needing room to sit, you can go outside aft (they also serve some lighter food there at times) or go to the port side and sit in Moderno.  Supposedly they serve a limited breakfast and lunch selection in there as well.  The front lounge is a nice place to hang out.

Awesome! Thanks! 

I'm used to spending months looking at ships/itineraries/deck plans/cc reviews, so this is so weird for us to just jump on and go with the flow! 

• Like 1

Take your own hairdryer. The one they supply is attached to bathroom wall and is the hose type. DH used that one but bathroom is small so we both would not have been able to be in the bathroom at same time to get ready. Plus, I have thick hair and it would have taken forever to dry with the dryer supplied. I was grateful for this tip before we went on the Sun in September. I do not normally take my own. Enjoy your cruise!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Weluv2cruise2gether said:

Take your own hairdryer. The one they supply is attached to bathroom wall and is the hose type. DH used that one but bathroom is small so we both would not have been able to be in the bathroom at same time to get ready. Plus, I have thick hair and it would have taken forever to dry with the dryer supplied. I was grateful for this tip before we went on the Sun in September. I do not normally take my own. Enjoy your cruise!!!

We just got off the sun, and there was a hairdryer in one of the drawers of the vanity of our balcony room.

• Like 1

Enjoy the MDR for embarkation lunch, less crowded than the buffet. 

Breakfast and lunch at the Great Outdoors (on the stern, same deck as buffet), line for omelets out there is usually shorter. 

Have dinner in the Italian restaurant, prettiest dining room in the fleet. 

There are (or were) complimentary sauna and steam rooms inside the spa changing rooms.

• Like 1

Ok so whats included in the drink package? Its says free drinks, but then we get the option to upgrade to premium drink package as a perk. We drink Mich Ultra or any reg beer, frozen cocktails, and wine. Not fussy about what kind of wine, house wine is always fine with us. Do you get charged a gratuity on every drink, if you just stick with the free promo?

Also the sailing we are looking at stops at the private island. Does the drink promo work on the island? 

Thanks for any help

1 hour ago, murph1031 said:

Ok so whats included in the drink package? Its says free drinks, but then we get the option to upgrade to premium drink package as a perk. We drink Mich Ultra or any reg beer, frozen cocktails, and wine. Not fussy about what kind of wine, house wine is always fine with us. Do you get charged a gratuity on every drink, if you just stick with the free promo?

Also the sailing we are looking at stops at the private island. Does the drink promo work on the island? 

Thanks for any help

everything you want is in the free drink package - no gratuity - they don't even swipe your card for the drinks... which private island - one of them includes the drinks and one doesn't..