Disabled ocean view cabins on Serena

welshfamily

Got an offer from our TA and it snapped up weeks ago. We were abroad at the time and are not picky about the position of the cabin.   We have never been in a  ocean view but the offer was really good and a day on a cruise is better than a day at home therefore we jumped at it. Looked up position of  the cabin today as cruise is now getting close and have  discovered 2 of the 3 cabins  are accessible/ disabled. Although our son is disabled ( lots of medical issues )he  does not need this type of cabin.  

Can anyone tell me the difference between disabled and ordinary ocean view cabins?

Also how do we tell Oceania we would happily move should a disabled person need either of these cabins.

I would be horrified if anybody needed a an accessible/disabled cabin and we had them. 

Thank you

I have walked by port side cabin 4056 when it was bringing serviced so I can only speak for it.

It is definitely a wheelchair accessible cabin with a wider door and while the deck plan does not show it, the room is definitely larger by maybe one-third. At that time it was made up as Twin beds and there was room to maneuver a wheelchair between the end of the bed and the wall. In a regular C1 Ocean view there is only about 20 to 24 inches between the end of the bed and wall. I can not speak for the bathroom and because the deck plan does not have the wheelchair symbol, it may not be accessible.

I too would be concerned so I suggest that you contact Oceania in Miami. The USA phone number is 1-800-531-5658. The email for the agent that I work with is cverdugo@oceaniacruises.com

if you used  a TA to book the cruise  let them make a note on your file that you are willing to move if the cabin is needed   or call Oceania  directly

On the  N.A. website it does show  the 2 outside H/C  cabins

I believe it is only the Sirena  with the Oceanview  H/C cabin on the R ships

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/sirena/deck-plans/

Many times we asked about moving abled people out of a disabled cabin. My husband is paraplegic and confined in a wheelchair. So many cruise are fully booked for us and Oceania NEVER asked people who doesn't need this cabins to move.

About ten years ago ( when Oceania was independent ) they sold the accessible rooms late, now they sell them everybody who asked for. When we are lucky normally my husband is the only one onboard who is really confined in a wheelchair. 

@ LHT28 : You are right. Only Sirena has the 2 outside rooms. The other small ships have only inside.

The worst thing is that at the time Sirena was a Pricess ship they had also 2 balcony staterooms. During renovation they removed this.

Very sad

Thank you,

I spoke with my TA today. She is certain none of the 3 cabins we booked were accessible.  She wonders if these two cabins 4056 and 4052 have just become accessible. Previously she has booked inside cabins on this floor for disabled guests. Indeed the research I have done shows 3 inside cabins on deck 4 as accessible however the Oceania website now shows 1 inside and 2 ocean view. I cannot however believe cabin walls have been moved in the refit unless 4054 has been ‘shared . 

In her experience Oceania ask for a considerable amount of information before they allocate a accessible cabin to a disabled person never mind an able body person particularly as we booked before final payment.  The paperwork would also have shown ‘accessible ‘. 

My TA immediately told me she would email Oceania as she is worried Oceania may wish to move us and there is no longer any availability below concierge balcony class. As it is Saturday she feels it may be Monday before she has a reply.

Thank you

Does anyone know what a accessible bathroom is like? To be honest my mind  cannot believe there is anyway one of these small bathrooms could be adapted for wheelchair access. 

2 hours ago, welshfamily said:

Thank you,

I spoke with my TA today. She is certain none of the 3 cabins we booked were accessible.  She wonders if these two cabins 4056 and 4052 have just become accessible. Previously she has booked inside cabins on this floor for disabled guests. Indeed the research I have done shows 3 inside cabins on deck 4 as accessible however the Oceania website now shows 1 inside and 2 ocean view. I cannot however believe cabin walls have been moved in the refit unless 4054 has been ‘shared . 

In her experience Oceania ask for a considerable amount of information before they allocate a accessible cabin to a disabled person never mind an able body person particularly as we booked before final payment.  The paperwork would also have shown ‘accessible ‘. 

I will bet that when the ship was owned by Princess they combined the 3 ocean view cabins into 2  H/C

Have a look at the deck plans for the Pacific Princess  they also show the  2 H/C on deck 4  plus 2 on deck 8

Has she booked those cabins on Sirena before or on the other  R Ships  ?

The other 3 R ships  they are regular oceanview cabins

Sirena  had some changes  done  when she was the Tahitian/Ocean Princess

2 hours ago, urlaub said:

The worst thing is that at the time Sirena was a Pricess ship they had also 2 balcony staterooms. During renovation they removed this.

Very sad

I wonder if they did

looking at the deck plans posted on CC for the Ocean Princess  I see no H/C cabins on deck 8

https://www.cruisecritic.com/ocean-princess-deck-plans/dp/?shipID=277&deck=8