Fishing gear permitted?

Is it possible to check a waterproof tote box (23” x 17” x 11”) with fishing equipment?  Or even in luggage?  Rods would be hand-carried on board.  My SO would like to do some fishing from the shore, probably at Nassau on a weekend cruise (Liberty).  I am willing to go fishing if it gets me an extra cruise this summer 😄 Has anybody else done any fishing from shore at a port?

I travel with a telescoping rod with spinning reel. I only use 10lb test and bring a few lures in a ziplock. I always put it in checked baggage, never a problem. Please check local laws as BVI is very strict about licenses and they are expensive. 

Yep mine brought a collapsible rod and a couple lures. He would basically just drown some lures at the dock for like 10-15 minutes. I forgot which one he did it at, since it was like 10 years ago. The funny part is that I was in one of the sports bars to watch the Bears game and a couple of guys were talking about "the guy fishing by the ship before leaving." I told them, that was my husband. He didn't catch anything though.

No help here as to what equipment is allowed as all the fishing I have done when cruising has been off of charter boats that included all equipment, but one thing your SO needs to realize is that this will be strictly catch and release fishing. If he wants to keep his catch it will need to be professional packed for overnight package delivery back home. Unless he can make a deal with a local to cook the catch for the 2 of you and that you dine on it before re-entering the ship.

9 hours ago, maryred said:

strictly catch and release fishing.

these aren't Gold Medal waters of Colorado, there is no catch and release rule unless you are talking about Billfish, which you can't catch from shore with a collapsible rod.

13 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

We fish on vacations, so it is either catch and release or give the fish to locals also fishing in the area.  Sounds good, we will just pack everything we need in checked luggage.  Thanks for the replies!

If you're staying in a cove balcony, just toss a line overboard and catch your lunch. 🐟🎣

• Haha 1